Who would you like to see on your scheduele?

Fuggly63

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did this rivalry stop?  It seemed as if these two played almost every year until about six or seven years ago; in fact, I think MUS has played Germantown more than any other opponent, including CBHS.

825691563[/snapback]

Okay, I've heard different versions of the story. First off, let's establish the history of the rivalry: Germantown v. MUS, a series that was played through the 1997 or 1998 school year, was called the "Poplar Pike Bowl." To date, MUS leads the series. Some say that the coaches jointly decided to stop scheduling the game after the public-private split in the mid-90s. However, others will tell you that Ken Netherland was tired of scheduling high-risk, unnecessary games. Would love to see MUS v. Gtown; however, I am satisfied with JCM and South Panola--we should have a much higher strength of schedule this year than we have had in many, many years.

Okay, I've heard different versions of the story.  First off, let's establish the history of the rivalry:  Germantown v. MUS, a series that was played through the 1997 or 1998 school year, was called the "Poplar Pike Bowl."  To date, MUS leads the series.  Some say that the coaches jointly decided to stop scheduling the game after the public-private split in the mid-90s.  However, others will tell you that Ken Netherland was tired of scheduling high-risk, unnecessary games.  Would love to see MUS v. Gtown; however, I am satisfied with JCM and South Panola--we should have a much higher strength of schedule this year than we have had in many, many years.

825691576[/snapback]

I graduated from MUS and the story that was always told around our neck of the woods, was that MUS upset Gtown when they were nationally ranked.. leading to the discontiuation of that series

1) Franklin vs Brentwood Academy

Why: In 1995 and 1996, the Rebels were completely obliterated by one of the nation's best teams. Since then, the Eagles have come down a bit and the Rebels have risen quie a bit. After the past couple seasons, there has been intense debate between Rebel and Eagle fans as to who was the best in Williamson County. This game might not be as good in the next year or two as it would have been in the past couple seasons. However, with Father Ryan on Franklin's schedule next year, maybe this shows a desire to schedule private school competition. Which brings me to...

2) Franklin vs Battle Ground Academy

Why: The two oldest schools in the city - they simply should be playing every year. I'm sure BGA doesn't want a big 5A school on their schedule (I'm not blaming them... they do well in their division, that's all they have to do), but it still would be entertaining. It would most definitely turn into a rivalry game in which everything must be tossed out the window.

3) Franklin vs Riverdale

Why: 35-7. That says enough.

Edited by FHSrebel27

Agreed

825691596[/snapback]

Actually...it came very close to happening this year. Coach Joslin (from what I hear) graciously offered to play us if we couldn't fill our schedule. It would be an interesting matchup. I guess our yearly fall scrimmage at Cookeville is probably more valuable than a game would be.

Edited by Antwan

Actually...it came very close to happening this year.  Coach Joslin (from what I hear) graciously offered to play us if we couldn't fill our schedule.  It would be an interesting matchup. I guess our yearly fall scrimmage at Cookeville is probably more valuable than a game would be.

825691599[/snapback]

Haha....give me a break. A regular season game would be beneficial for both teams...IMO.