Youngest Head Coach in Tennessee

HOTDOG

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rip25

I agree, he might be the best to ever coach the game, eventually, but was he the most qualified applicant? I am being serious. Did no one else apply or was it a political move, or did they think youth was the answer. Again, being serious, not trying to be a pain.

We don't need the all caps.  Please read the rules before you post. Thanks

825704104[/snapback]

I don't mean nothin by the caps.. it's just easier to type. I hate having to capitalize at the beginning of every sentence... lol.. anyway.. didn't mean anything by it

Age will have nothing to do with it. There a three factors that will answer the success question.

1. Coach's work ethic.

2. Team's talent pool.

3. Community support.

Good luck coach and ignore all the "wet behind the ears" remarks.

Del.

825704134[/snapback]

Welllllll said!!!!!!!!!

I will say that no one should ever hire anyone to be a head football coach at the high school level who doesn't have at least five years experience as an assistant coach. It's more than just X's and O's, being a head coach is about experience dealing with kids, parents, administration, and knowing how to handle pressure! I thought a school in southern middle TN were wrong to hire a 28 year old coach even though he had played at the college level, and I think I was right in the end.

I hope Coach Cook has a great season and I certainly wish him all the best! I know for a fact that some quality applicants applied for the position! The only game he will win will be against Smithville! But maybe things will be better next year. The question is, how many experienced coaches will want to work under a 22 year old head coach? I know I never would!

Ceaser, we tend to disagree on alot of things, generally political, and this is one. Even though I feel 22 is to young,experience will not automatically dictate how you will do as a head coach. Age is a number, maturity level and knowledge of the game will count greatly. I got my first HC job at 29 and it has worked out well so far. I have a brother who got a HC job this year at 28! Not sure if it is at the school you are talking about or not, but sounds like that area. It will be a tough rebuilding job but he is up for the challenge. Finally, I will have to end by saying something I firmly believe, it is not the age of the man that earns him knowledge and respect but the things he learns, the obstacles he faces and how he handles them.

Ceaser, we tend to disagree on alot of things, generally political, and this is one. Even though I feel 22 is to young,experience will not automatically dictate how you will do as a head coach. Age is a number, maturity level and knowledge of the game will count greatly. I got my first HC job at 29 and it has worked out well so far. I have a brother who got a HC job this year at 28! Not sure if it is at the school you are talking about or not, but sounds like that area. It will be a tough rebuilding job but he is up for the challenge. Finally, I will have to end by saying something I firmly believe, it is not the age of the man that earns him knowledge and respect but the things he learns, the obstacles he faces and how he handles them.

825704203[/snapback]

28 and 29 are not near 22. Big difference there.

Antwan I agree with you on that my point was how Ceaser made the point of at least 5 years experience and how he felt it was a mistake to hire a 28 year old even with college playing experience. I was not ready at 22 but was IMO at 25, 26. I was a finalist in alot of jobs where I did not get it and I felt age instead of coaching knowledge cost me the job between 25-29. That is my 2 cents take it for what it is worth. :lol:

Well let me add this....

All this "he's too young" crap will only hurt the guy. He's hired. Embrace him. Help him. Get behind him. And most of all give him a chance. If in 3-4 years he's not doing well then treat him like any other coach gets treated.

But let me tell you something boys. You can hire all the "experience" in the world and it still may not fit your school, your kids and your program.

"4 state titles at one school doesn't equal success at another." - Del Tavian, July 22, 2005.

Del.

Well let me add this....

All this "he's too young" crap will only hurt the guy. He's hired. Embrace him. Help him. Get behind him. And most of all give him a chance. If in 3-4 years he's not doing well then treat him like any other coach gets treated.

But let me tell you something boys. You can hire all the "experience" in the world and it still may not fit your school, your kids and your program.

"4 state titles at one school doesn't equal success at another." - Del Tavian, July 22, 2005.

Del.

825704224[/snapback]

I LOVE THIS GUY... WELL SAID MAN... AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!