Franklin Riverdale Championship Game

oskie

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listen to what you are saying. You are down 24-7 at half, make some adjustments (from pass to run), win the game, okay I give you that, congratulations!!!! After a couple of weeks of running the ball to the semis, you might want to come back and throw the ball, which they did against germantown. they had success, so much success that they were up at a critical point in the game. what does nowell do? go to the smokestack I run three plays up the gut and end up having to punt!! sound like a great adjustment to me. why not keep passing the ball, they haven't adjusted to it all night, why change now? (Some will never know!!!) Germantown gets ball back run their traditional wishbone series, milks the clock, scores and franklin is never able to gain their composure back.

MTSU 2004 against riverdale, previous week ran the ball exceptionally well against germantown, they never had a chance!!! riverdale, different team, different attitude, some say the best in the state. coach nowell runs the box formation for 5 straight series into the middle of the defense. they gained some yards on the first series, riverdale makes adjustments, box formation never works again. hey, franklin starts to throw the ball down field, its a miracle!!!!! they gain yards (even though riverdale at this point has removed key players from the game to start the celebration) and score. Coach Nowell, I love him to death, but I just don't feel that he made his adjustments soon enough. Football is a chess match, who can make adjustments first and execute. Franklin for the past 3 years has had enough talent to make it to the clinic bowl and probably win 2 out of 3. No disrespect at all to you, but I just feel that he (Nowell) could have done better.

825713512[/snapback]

Franklin made it to the finals last year by playing hard nose def. and running the ball, you go with the off. that got you there. You are over estimating the tallent you have in Franklin, I guarantee you would not have made it to the finals in 2004 if you had played a wide open off. In the second half of the Riverdale game you went to a wide open off. and it got you no where. It would have helped if you could have protected the qb. Your skill position people are good but not the tallent of Riverdale. Looked what happen to your wide open off. against Riverdale in the spring. Passing off. do not win state titles. Play def. rush the ball well and then pass the ball,that wins championships ,yes I'm old school. I could be and I hope I am wrong but I think Franklin will struggle this year because of going to a wide open off. My predictions, they will make the playoffs but only 4th in the Region.

While I agree with you to an extent (especially your comments on the 2004 BCB), I will disagree that a pass-oriented offense can't get you far. Everyone in Franklin is acting like it's a big change with what Clayton is bringing in, but it's really not. We had GREAT success throwing the ball and winning ballgames in 2003, and 2002 for that matter. As long as you can play defense, to me it really doesn't matter what offense you run.

While I agree with you to an extent (especially your comments on the 2004 BCB), I will disagree that a pass-oriented offense can't get you far. Everyone in Franklin is acting like it's a big change with what Clayton is bringing in, but it's really not. We had GREAT success throwing the ball and winning ballgames in 2003, and 2002 for that matter. As long as you can play defense, to me it really doesn't matter what offense you run.

825713756[/snapback]

Name the last time a pass dominated off. won a state or national title[pro, college or high school] ? All though your new coach was very sucessful he never won a state title. Defense and successfully rushing the football wins titles.

Name the last time a pass dominated off. won a state or national title[pro, college or high school] ? All though your new coach was very sucessful he never won a state title. Defense and successfully rushing the football wins titles.

825713827[/snapback]

Ezell-Harding did it a few years ago with JP Shelley ( Sp? ) running the show.

Interesting conversation. Both of you are right and both of you are wrong!

The "box" worked well against both Brentwood and Germantown in 2004, but the athleticism of Riverdale's front made it hard to find anything that would have worked. Had D Nowell taken a cue from Smyrna early last season against R'Dale he would have known the best success would have come from passing two thirds of the game rather than runing three quarters of the game! Going deep to Hewitt and Campbell were our best hope and we just didn't do it enough.

To Nowell's credit he is innovative and always looking to adapt the talent he has to take advantage of speed and misdirection, he errs to the side of conservatism because he would rather beat you with smash mouth, misdirection and speeed sweeps rather than let his QB light it up!!

This new Coach appears to be the opposite. He's going to find your weakest DB and make him cry for mercy before he stops throwing the ball deep. When you go to double coverage he will throw it underneath and when you blitz from the corners he will do QB draws.

The biggest diffference is if the QB throws 2 INTs in the first half Nowell sticks to the run where as Clayton bets the kid he can't throw two more and doesn't run the ball the rest of the night

As to HL in 2003... Franklin O Line inspired by some future engineerig student at UT, talking at half time about "sisters being violated" or some such idiom, bottom line was TJ knew those 300+ pounders for HL were worn out and decided to "Body Blow" them in the second half by taking it up the gut with trap after trap. Franklin's conditioning and attitude( and a 70 yd holding call) won that game!

FHSRebel27- I still remeber you walking off the job that night, not able to keep watching!

Edited by BigDogDaddy