Murphy Fair on Oak Ridge

TankTalk

As serious as Oak Ridge fans are about their football, it amazed me that there hasn't been an outcry about the Murphy Fair preview of this year's Wildcats.

I noticed it immediately, but didn't say a word because I just knew the rabid Wildcat nation would explode.

In the box giving a brief recap of the team, it made Oak Ridge look a bit weak when it comes to their playoff history.

This is directly from that box:

"LAST TIME IN PLAYOFFS: 2003-lost in first round to Jefferson Co., 19-7. PLAYOFF RECORD: 2-7. BEST YEAR: 1999, 2001-second round losses each year."

Huh?

How could one of the top teams in football history, carrying enough pride on their sleeves to choke a 500-pound gorilla, get that kind of screwed-up playoff history account? I know I am kinda new around here, but I am pretty sure the Wildcats are better than 2-7 all-time in the playoffs. I am also sure that their best year was not 2003, since they have seven recognized TSSAA championships and one Litkus National Championship.

Anywho, since none of you Wildcat faithful wanted to express your concern over that, thought I would stir the proverbial pot.

On a positive note, I think it is quite wonderful that Murphy allows booster clubs to sell his book for such a nice profit. I know Oak Ridge has done well their sells and every bit helps when funding a program.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As serious as Oak Ridge fans are about their football, it amazed me that there hasn't been an outcry about the Murphy Fair preview of this year's Wildcats.

I noticed it immediately, but didn't say a word because I just knew the rabid Wildcat nation would explode.

In the box giving a brief recap of the team, it made Oak Ridge look a bit weak when it comes to their playoff history.

"LAST TIME IN PLAYOFFS: 2003-lost in first round to Jefferson Co., 19-7. PLAYOFF RECORD: 2-7. BEST YEAR: 1999, 2001-second round losses each year."

Huh?

How could one of the top teams in football history, carrying enough pride on their sleeves to choke a 500-pound gorilla, get that kind of screwed-up playoff history account? I know I am kinda new around here, but I am pretty sure the Wildcats are better than 2-7 all-time in the playoffs. I am also sure that their best year was not 2003, since they have seven recognized TSSAA championships and one Litkus National Championship.

Anywho, since none of you Wildcat faithful wanted to express your concern over that, thought I would stir the proverbial pot.

On a positive note, I think it is quite wonderful that Murphy allows booster clubs to sell his book for such a nice profit. I know Oak Ridge has done well their sells and every bit helps when funding a program.

825713273[/snapback]

If you look in the 'Murphy Fair' thread you will see I mentioned it. Because I know I saw OR at R'dale playing HARD in the semi final. thumb

Huh?

825713273[/snapback]

They also slipped up on Tennessee High's. It says their best year was in 95 and 99. It also said that they were in the 3A quarterfinals in '99.

I saw that too, Tank.  I tend to give 'ol Murphy the benefit of the doubt since he does a good job of promoting high school football in the state, but I did see it and had to just shake my head and let it go.

825713426[/snapback]

Please get off "Murph's" back. I think he does an outstanding job of putting together a book that all serious high school football fans look forward to each year. I sure don't see any of you guys trying to put one out. He depends heavily on coaches to provide information to him about upcoming seasons with stats and players. Some won't take the time or effort or sometimes a change in coaching causes things to fall through the cracks. You should be appreciating it for what it is rather than criticizing his hard work. You only make mistakes when trying to do something, not laying around on your lazy butts criticizing others. So shut the heck up and be positive about things for a little while. We have enough idiots on here trying to bring teams, coaches and players down to their level of sewer mentality.

I say to Murphy, keep up the good work. There truly are some of us who appreciate it.

bb

Please get off "Murph's" back. I think he does an outstanding job of putting together a book that all serious high school football fans look forward to each year. I sure don't see any of you guys trying to put one out. He depends heavily on coaches to provide information to him about upcoming seasons with stats and players. Some won't take the time or effort or sometimes a change in coaching causes things to fall through the cracks. You should be appreciating it for what it is rather than criticizing his hard work. You only make mistakes when trying to do something, not laying around on your lazy butts criticizing others. So shut the heck up and be positive about things for a little while. We have enough idiots on here trying to bring teams, coaches and players down to their level of sewer mentality.

I say to Murphy, keep up the good work. There truly are some of us who appreciate it.

bb

825713447[/snapback]

Ouch, bb.... Did you read my post? I am not on Murphy's back at all. Mistakes happen and I am the first to applaud his work in putting high school football on a positive light. For a post wanting everyone to be positive, I think you missed the mark a bit by blistering me about it.

They also messed up Station Camp's said they never qualified for playoffs (even thought coach received a congrs. letter) they played first round last year also spelled coach's name wrong in the article. Haven't had a chance to look at other local schools yet, just got it yesterday!

Nobody's perfect, that's a lot of teams to cover. Still interesting and glad I got it!

There is no doubt that Murphy does a great job and offers a great service. Some of the mistakes are not his fault as coaches supply incorrect information or no information at all. It would be better if there were a more complete checking of the information that is published. Also, Murphy would probably be better served if he would allow some folks to help him in gathering and putting information together for the magazine. On the other hand, I can understand why he would not want to give up control. There are only so many hours in the day and additional people would probably be very helpful in this venture.

Edited by papatj

baconbreath

..Tank did what any good journalist would do and if you are going to profit from Tennessee High School Football you can not get upset over constructive criticism when you leave out or drop the ball with stats on Oak Ridge or Bristol ect. Yes the publication is grest for boosters raising money for their programs. I have to think the man wants to get it right. Keep up the good work Murphy and lets get better!