Alcoa Vs. Hopkinsville

TnFootballfan

Hey Alcoa fans ... I was thinking about posting on this thread as a William Blount fan and giving my .02 worth but then I rethought and decided that as a 5A fan, it might not be in my best interest to post about a 2A school. If it's a good post people would just say, well he's 5A, he should make a good post. And if it's a bad post, people would say, look at that, the 2A school made him look bad on his post and that would be embarrassing. I'm just joking guys ... trying to lighten things up.

I sat up at Sevier County Friday night and seethed. Five to six HUGE plays (game breaking plays) affected and nullified by referees calls. All worked against WB. Maybe they were all correct calls ... but it is tough when EVERY STINKING ONE GOES AGAINST YOUR SCHOOL and not a single momentum swinging call is made against the home team. I know how frustrated you guys must be.

As far as the Brandon incident ... it sounds hard to swallow. One person says it was a punch, one says he just pushed some guys hands away, etc., etc. The one constant sounds to me like is that the Hopkinsville player initiated it. If two testosterone charged football players scuffle, the refs need to get in the middle, calm them down, WARN THEM it won't be tolerated any further, and send them back in there. They (refs) need to consider the consequences of a knee-jerk, heat of the battle ejection. Doesn't matter if it's Brandon involved, or the third string extra point holder. These kids are human. If it is an OBVIOUS ACTION that deserves an ejection, you must do it ... but if there is so much "grey area" involved ...

I've spoken with some Maryville coaches, players, and fans and I get the same thing from everyone of them ... THEY HATE IT. Win or lose, they want to play Alcoa at their finest. And I hate it for Brandon ... I know big time players (and even little time players) live for games like the one coming up Friday night.

Works out good for us WB fans ... we have a Saturday game, so we can come over Friday night. Guess I better get there around lunch time to get a seat, huh?

Good luck to both teams. Hope the class and integrity of these two schools shows up in a big way out on the field. I was thinking about printing me up a blue and orange shirt that said "I'm No Coward" but the more I thought about, the more scared I got to wear it out in public. B)B):)

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Alcoa fans ... I was thinking about posting on this thread as a William Blount fan and giving my .02 worth but then I rethought and decided that as a 5A fan, it might not be in my best interest to post about a 2A school.  If it's a good post people would just say, well he's 5A, he should make a good post.  And if it's a bad post, people would say, look at that, the 2A school made him look bad on his post and that would be embarrassing.  I'm just joking guys ... trying to lighten things up.

I sat up at Sevier County Friday night and seethed.  Five to six HUGE plays (game breaking plays) affected and nullified by referees calls.  All worked against WB.  Maybe they were all correct calls ... but it is tough when EVERY STINKING ONE GOES AGAINST YOUR SCHOOL and not a single momentum swinging call is made against the home team.  I know how frustrated you guys must be.

As far as the Brandon incident ... it sounds hard to swallow.  One person says it was a punch, one says he just pushed some guys hands away, etc., etc.  The one constant sounds to me like is that the Hopkinsville player initiated it.  If two testosterone charged football players scuffle, the refs need to get in the middle, calm them down, WARN THEM it won't be tolerated any further, and send them back in there.  They (refs) need to consider the consequences of a knee-jerk, heat of the battle ejection.  Doesn't matter if it's Brandon involved, or the third string extra point holder.  These kids are human.  If it is an OBVIOUS ACTION that deserves an ejection, you must do it ... but if there is so much "grey area" involved ...

I've spoken with some Maryville coaches, players, and fans and I get the same thing from everyone of them ... THEY HATE IT.  Win or lose, they want to play Alcoa at their finest.  And I hate it for Brandon ... I know big time players (and even little time players) live for games like the one coming up Friday night.

Works out good for us WB fans ... we have a Saturday game, so we can come over Friday night.  Guess I better get there around lunch time to get a seat, huh?

Good luck to both teams.  Hope the class and integrity of these two schools shows up in a big way out on the field.  I was thinking about printing me up a blue and orange shirt that said "I'm No Coward" but the more I thought about, the more scared I got to wear it out in public. :)  B)  B)

825722532[/snapback]

Great post Govman. B)

THAT i have no idea about.  But, i'm not a Hopkinsville fan so I don't really care about the other guy in the fight.  Brandon is THE best player in TN this season, he has no business fighting with guys no matter what.  To me, that shows a lot of arrogance on his part.  He apparently thinks that it's okay to sell his teammates out in order to protect his personal pride.  People talk about intangables from "great players" -- this is a case of exactly the opposite, almost like Peter Warrick from Florida State.  He apparently has no concept of accountability, and I hope for his sake this will be a great life-lesson.

825720836[/snapback]

p9morbid i assume you were not at the game. ask anyone who was there..it wasn't a little homecooking ...it was pathetic officiating..one ref was talking to me and alcoa72 and he told the ref that we were good enough that we didn't have to hold (after numerous runs being called back for holding)their players. ref looked at us and siad, "thats why i am throwning the flag when it looks like big play", and laughed at us. since they could not call enough penalties to beat us, they did the next best thing (ejecting bw) it was called a double personnal foul and both players were ejected. next series their player was out on field. reid called t/o and tried to get understanding ...refs just ignored him...and then the glove thing..players on the field said that the refs said they could have stuff hidden in them to give them an advantage...hoptown had 1 player with gloves. some one their sid it was ky rule..thats bull because i watched first game and both ky teams wore gloves. this may have /no this was the most horrible officiating that i have ever seen in any sport in my life..and even worse those refs didn't care to tell you what they wer doing...film should be watched by appropriate people and suspensions handed down... as for maryville game..i think brandon cramped up early in that game and wasn't a factor that night

THAT i have no idea about.  But, i'm not a Hopkinsville fan so I don't really care about the other guy in the fight.  Brandon is THE best player in TN this season, he has no business fighting with guys no matter what.  To me, that shows a lot of arrogance on his part.  He apparently thinks that it's okay to sell his teammates out in order to protect his personal pride.  People talk about intangables from "great players" -- this is a case of exactly the opposite, almost like Peter Warrick from Florida State.  He apparently has no concept of accountability, and I hope for his sake this will be a great life-lesson.

825720836[/snapback]

It sounds to me that if anyone dislikes a team to just go choke their best player and he is gone and then you can say good bye to them for the rest of that game and the next. Its not right and not right at all. I mean would it be right for Alcoa to stick their 2nd team in start choking Mary's first team just to get them all kicked out. Now what would you think about that?

It sounds to me that if anyone dislikes a team to just go choke their best player and he is gone and then you can say good bye to them for the rest of that game and the next. Its not right and not right at all. I mean would it be right for Alcoa to stick their 2nd team in start choking Mary's first team just to get them all kicked out. Now what would you think about that?

825722643[/snapback]

I think we've got to stop making excuses. It comes with the territory. When you're the top dog everyone is trying to knock you off the porch. It's a tough lesson to learn and one he should have known by now. It wasn't the first time he's been the victim of a cheap shot and it won't be the last. He knows how to retaliate within the rules and confines of the game. It must have been the heat and/or playing at 12:30 a.m. on a Saturday morning. :P

I've just recieved some info from a reliable source that stated that Alcoa will appeal the situation!! Someone earlier said that Reid wouldn't appeal it, but why wouldn't he appeal something that he should win!! I really hope this goes through, because BW is a great kid and deserves to play in the biggest game of his high school career!! thumb

First of all Alcoa played a fine game. The defense looked very above- average and the offense was very good as well. Joei, Duck, Brandon (while he was in), Shivy, and Brian Sommer all had great games.

I'm usually not one to make excuses, but I think there was definitely some hoe- cooking going on. I was standing down near the endzone next to Joei's dad after a bad call. A ref was near and he said a certain call was terrible. The ref threatened to throw him out, and then Joei's dad responded by saiyng that he just wanted a simple explanation. The ref responded by saying, "it doesn't matter, you're from Tennessee." Well that angered a lot of fans, and the let that ref have it. After that I hoped that we never play in Kentucky again.

From what I heard from Brandon's mother she said he was getting choked and Brandon pushed him off of him. That's a simple human reaction, and anyone would do the same if a 200- pounder was on top of them choking away. But I really feel for Brandon. He's a great guy, he doesn't deserve what he got, and it's his last game against Maryville. I really hope the TSSAA reconsiders the situation.

Once again, I was at the game. My opinion doesn't carry with it the school colors of either team because I'm from neither Alcoa nor Hopkinsville. With that said, I agree that the Hopkinsville player started the altercation, but there was no push. Warren swung while on top of the player and hit him in the side of the helmet. He simply got caught. While both players were given unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, the official pointed to the Alcoa side and gave the ejection signal. He never did that to the Hopkinsville player, meaning he wasn't ejected.

As far as the gloves go, the halftime explantion I got was that one of the players (unsure of what team) was found to have pine tar or stick-um on his gloves, meaning that all players had to remove their gloves. Not sure if that is a NHSSF rule. It's not a "Kentucky rule."

Once again, I was at the game.  My opinion doesn't carry with it the school colors of either team because I'm from neither Alcoa nor Hopkinsville.  With that said, I agree that the Hopkinsville player started the altercation, but there was no push.  Warren swung while on top of the player and hit him in the side of the helmet.  He simply got caught.  While both players were given unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, the official pointed to the Alcoa side and gave the ejection signal.  He never did that to the Hopkinsville player, meaning he wasn't ejected.

As far as the gloves go, the halftime explantion I got was that one of the players (unsure of what team) was found to have pine tar or stick-um on his gloves, meaning that all players had to remove their gloves.  Not sure if that is a NHSSF rule.  It's not a "Kentucky rule."

825723064[/snapback]

Hey Scribe I lived in that area for about 6 years. I know they take their football to heart. What was the feeling after Hop'town took a beating from one of TN's smaller Schools?

Edited by rigger101

I don't think it will affect them one way or the other. They had heard about the hype coming into the game and knew what to expect. Hopkinsville has always played a tough pre-district schedule that has included Kentucky 1A power Mayfield. In the past two years, they played Ridgeway and the two years prior to that, they played Louisville Male in the same bowl game when Male featured Michael Bush (Louisville) and Chris Barclay (Wake Forest). They like the tough games early. I honestly think people expected the margin to be more.

I don't think it will affect them one way or the other.  They had heard about the hype coming into the game and knew what to expect.  Hopkinsville has always played a tough pre-district schedule that has included Kentucky 1A power Mayfield.  In the past two years, they played Ridgeway and the two years prior to that, they played Louisville Male in the same bowl game when Male featured Michael Bush (Louisville) and Chris Barclay (Wake Forest).  They like the tough games early.  I honestly think people expected the margin to be more.

825723079[/snapback]

Thanks