Williamson County

WesVLT

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

Victory may mean that one team was better than the other on one particular night. I am sick of hearing that no wilco team has the guts to schedule BA when we are more interested in playing teams that we hae the oppurtunity to play in the playoffs as non-region games. Having to beat 7 teams, in which there are only 3 or 4 decent programs in that 7, is not superiority to every other team in the county. Congrats to BA, you have beaten Ravenwood in their first game of the season. But you have not beaten a Ravenwood or a Brentwood team that has gotten their feet under them and played some tough opponents and truly had a chance to get settled into their game.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as this poll goes, I think it is way too early to make a read.

Secondly, as far as the BA record against Willco. teams, we need also to factor in the factor that these games aren't regularly scheduled. It's not as if BA was playing the all the other Willco teams on a consistent schedule each year. So the record really must come with an asterik. Kind of like the Tennessee/Florida record; you should look at it as pre-division split record and post-division split record. Prior to the division split, they rarely played each other.

It is worth pondering what the record would be if everyone played each other routinely during the season, and not an occaisional week zero game. To say any more would put this topic on another board.

Question: Did Becker get hurt during the game?

Is UAB as good a team as Tennessee? What about TCU, they as good as Oklahoma? One game does not make a good team, anymore than one player makes a good team. What is Franklin w/o Mikrut, Ravenwood w/o Jennings? Record is one thing, overall ability another, it's all partr of determining "best."

But that's why there are play offs because its all about "Last Man Standing"

You make a great point BDD;at this point, the "better" or "best" team (one who hasn't had a significant injury, favorable schedule, hasn't moved a number of kids around, has refined their scheme better, hasn't had to bounce back from a defeat, no illnesses have swept the team, etc.) is a moot point. Heck the Braves are a better team than the Reds (except if you pitch Dan Kolb!).

It's how you finish the race not who lead during a lap that counts.

As far as this poll goes, I think it is way too early to make a read.

Secondly, as far as the BA record against Willco. teams, we need also to factor in the factor that these games aren't regularly scheduled.  It's not as if BA was playing the all the other Willco teams on a consistent schedule each year.  So the record really must come with an asterik.  Kind of like the Tennessee/Florida record; you should look at it as pre-division split record and post-division split record.  Prior to the division split, they rarely played each other. 

It is worth pondering what the record would be if everyone played each other routinely during the season, and not an occaisional week zero game. To say any more would put this topic on another board.

Question:  Did Becker get hurt during the game?

825739794[/snapback]

I sure hope Daniel is not injured. Great athlete, great kid.

I wish they were more regularly scheduled, and I'm thankful that several WilCo teams have played BA over the past few years. I think it's great. I'm sure that the 5A publics would beat BA some years if the games were played every year against every team, but asterisks only belong on theoretical games, not on real wins.

BTW, there have been 19 games between BA and the public schools in WilCo since 1970, including 8 against Franklin.

I do think it's interesting that Brentwood (and some Franklin) fans talk about that 2002 BHS vs. BA game, and how much better BHS was at the end of the year. I don't doubt that at all, but you seem to assume that BA didn't improve at least as much. BA started, I believe, sophomores at 6 positions that game in what was essentially their first varsity action. They might have gotten a little better too.

Fun to talk about anyways.

Edited by itzme

Victory  may mean that one team was better than the other on one particular night.  I am sick of hearing that no wilco team has the guts to schedule BA when we are more interested in playing teams that we hae the oppurtunity to play in the playoffs as non-region games.  Having to beat 7 teams, in which there are only 3 or 4 decent programs in that 7, is not superiority to every other team in the county.  Congrats to BA, you have beaten Ravenwood in their first game of the season.  But you have not beaten a Ravenwood or a Brentwood team that has gotten their feet under them and played some tough opponents and truly had a chance to get settled into their game.

825739790[/snapback]

This is the logic I just love. Can't beat a certain set of teams because of "unfair advantages", so you split them off. Then you demean these teams for not having a tough enough road to the championship? If you think there are only 3-4 "decent" programs in DIIAAA, which ones are they, and which of the others is not up to the quality of those tough 5A teams that come around the first couple of playoff rounds?

Never once have i said anything about about "unfair advantages". i simply stated that a game against BA and any other wilco team has only occured in the first week of the season. Have them play later in the year, and more often instead of once every two or so years and go by that.

Talked to a close friend up here and word is that Becker is most likely out for 4 weeks. But with this tough young man watch for him to come back sooner, but hopefully not to soon as to hurt himself worse.

Edited by ftballkicker

Victory  may mean that one team was better than the other on one particular night.  I am sick of hearing that no wilco team has the guts to schedule BA when we are more interested in playing teams that we hae the oppurtunity to play in the playoffs as non-region games.  Having to beat 7 teams, in which there are only 3 or 4 decent programs in that 7, is not superiority to every other team in the county.  Congrats to BA, you have beaten Ravenwood in their first game of the season.  But you have not beaten a Ravenwood or a Brentwood team that has gotten their feet under them and played some tough opponents and truly had a chance to get settled into their game.

825739790[/snapback]

There are 10-15 "nights" in the Fall. For a high school football team, this is called "a season". Being better than the other teams on those particular nights is very important. Most logical people use these results to determine who is the better team.

Let me get this straight. BA has beaten BHS a couple of times and Ravenwood, but only on days that ended in a "y" and months that contained "r's" - so none of those really counted? I think I am following your line of thought.

There are 10-15 "nights" in the Fall. For a high school football team, this is called "a season". Being better than the other teams on those particular nights is very important. Most logical people use these results to determine who is the better team.

Let me get this straight. BA has beaten BHS a couple of times and Ravenwood, but only on days that ended in a "y" and months that contained "r's" - so none of those really counted? I think I am following your line of thought.

825740071[/snapback]

USA you are exactly right. I thinl fftballkicker has taken to many headers after reading his logic.

Edited by Herbie