Pre season Tournament Picks AAA

Stone Age

• 3 weeks later...

Not making any predictions but suffice it to say that this year's crop of AAA girls basketball teams will make for alot of fun games to watch. We had some friends visiting this past summer and our daughter's team was involved in the Shelbyville summer camp. They (including their daughter who playes in a AAAAA school in Arkansas) went along with us to watch our daughter's team and some of the other games and they couldn't believe the qualitiy of the teams and even the so called small schools level of play. We are blessed with good coaches and teams all the way through the state.

Okay I'll throw out some names but not in any specific order

Lincoln Co. Cookeville, Cleveland, Mt. Juliet, Riverdale, Shelbyville....you get the picture same song second verse.

• 4 weeks later...

I would have to agree with MJ on his state tournament picks:

Heritage: Maybe the best team in the state if they stay healthy. Cait McMahan could lead this team all the way this year

Oak Ridge: KeKe Stewart is the best post player in the state. If the young freshman come on then Oak Ridge maybe good enough to bring another ball back to OR.

Cumberland County: Returns alot of good players from last year substate team but don't count out Bradley and Cleveland just yet. Who ever wins this Region should be in the state.

Shelbyville: Adding Janay Armstrong to a team this team should put Shelbyville back in M'Boro. Still young so needs to win Region to get home substate game.

Mt. Juliet: Lost some key players from last year team but will be back in M'Boro. I expect some young players to step up and help this team contend for Back to Back.

Wilson Central: Having one of the best players in the area should help this legendary coaching staff return to M'Boro. The play of the young kids will decide how far they go when they get to M'boro.

Ridgeway: The sleeper team that has alot of talent. Don't be surprised if Ridgeway is playing for the state title. Florida signee Lakendra Phillips will be the leader and will determine in her play how far this team will go.

Kirby: Very talented team that will sneak up on someone if they are not careful. Alexis Givands and Danielle Richardson are two of the best unknown players in the state.

OTHERS:

Powell - Depends on Caitlin Holifield play as to how far they will go

Bradley Central: If the young kids give MTSU signee Jackie Pickel some help then they could very easily make it to M'Boro.

Riverdale: A team that will be one upset away from makeing to the state.

Dickson County: Looked very good this summer. Will have to upset Wilson Central or Mt. Juliet to make it to the state

Smyrna: A team that is very well coached that could have the best inside game in the state. I will not be suprised one bit if they upset MJ or WC and make it to the state

Bartlett: If one of the top Juniors in the country Ashley Herring can get some help from the younger kids then Bartlett could make a trip to M'Boro

I believe one of the 3 Cleveland schools will be at state this year.

Cleveland-has junior standout Kerri Simpson and point guard Angie Wells back, plus a trio of six-footers that make Cleveland a favorite.

Bradley-has MTSU signee Jackie Pickel, plus Lauren Cassada and others to help Pickel in their quest to send her to Murfreesboro 5 months early.

Walker Valley-has Alabama signee Alyson Butler, plus some others back from the squad that went to semis at state last year. Biggest problem is, that was 2A, and the Mustangs moved up to 3A, and are in the same district as Cleveland, Bradley, and Cumberland County this year, who I think is the favorite.

Oak Ridge

Heritage

Cumberland County

Lincoln Co

Mt Juliet

Wilson Central

Ridgeway

Bartlett ( For Opperman :D )

Also Considered: Riverdale, White County, Cleveland, Columbia, Powell, Smyrna and Shelbyville

I know everybody talks about Oak Ridge having Keke Stewart and Heritage with Cait McMahon, but I really think Cumberland County is not only a favorite to make state, but to win it. I was very impressed when they came to Oakland for sub-state. Foster is their big gun, but they play very well as a team, wouldnt not be suprised to see them make a state title run. Akso, Shelbyville may have the best combo down low in the state with jerrell and armstrong, but i dont know enough about their coach to feel comfortable predicting them to make state, although past history seems to indicate that there arent many years when shelbyville misses state 2 years in a row

Edited by OaklandGrad

Showtime,who is the player you mentioned from WC.McGavock has the talent from top to bottom to make the state and Hillsboro can't be overlooked they return three staters and could make some serious noise.

I agree totally with you on McGavock and Hillsboro. Hillsboro having my aau player and she is also one of my favorite players in the state Jessica Mooney will have a really good chance at making to the state. Mooney will take this team as far as they will go. This is a tough substate. McGavock is very talented also. Mudu is top 5 junior in the state and is going cause alot of teams matchup problems.

Wilson Central player I talked about earlier was Tierney Jenkins.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting picks above: I personally don't know a lot about some of the teams but loved watching Mount Juliet in the state tournament last year. That team really seems to be well coached and talented.

I think several AAA Memphis area teams may make a splash this year.

Ridgeway seems to be deep and talented.

Kirby has very strong post. (depth??)

Northside appears to be seasoned and as deep as any team.

Bartlett (last season 28-4) returns their key nucleus players and have solidified additional spots.

Should be an interesting season.....