Powell vs. Maryville

headhunter98

Do you really think that Central will win the region? There is no way. I don't think they have the talent that they usually do, and they are hurting for now without Longworth. I look at games between Central and Maryville in the past when Central has had way more talent and still lost. You can have all of the athletes in the world, but if they are not coached to be in the right place at the right time, and know what to do when they get there, then it doesn't matter. In my opinion that is what makes Maryville tough. Coach Quarles does a great job of using the talent he has to benefit the team.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this will be a great game to watch. Maryville will have to keep whatts contained and powell will have to keep Maryville's running game at a minimum. The key for Maryville is to be able to pass when needed and try to hold on to the ball as much as possible. If Maryville can run the ball they will win this game by two or three scores. If not Maryville's deffence will have to hold powell to at least one score. GQ has tricks up his sleeve and as we saw in the alcoa game he isn't afraid to use them. Either way this is going to be a good competitive ball Game

Go Rebels!!!

I don't know that he would care. I am pulling for Powell to have a big game and hopefully pull off an upset. And it would be just that an upset. I am a realist. Look at history.....Powell has not beaten Maryville in recent history. As a matter of fact, I think the last regular season region game that Maryville lost was in 2000 to Central when they started 0-4 and then went on to win the state. I think Powell has a better chance this year than they ever have, but they have to pull it off. Until then, they have to be considered underdogs. So I pick Maryville to win, just because they always have, but I would like to see a Powell upset.

It's ridiculous to suggest it's a sign of disrespect to have this as the homecoming game . That's more of a college tradition to schedule patsies for homecoming . Just beating Maryville should be all the motivation Powell needs anyway .

This defense has the most depth in the front seven than any Maryville team i've seen in nearly 30 years . as much as i have loved the run and gun offense we've had under GQ , i equally enjoy the hard nosed , tough , fly to the ball effort that this defense has shown so far this year ! :thumb:

Guys, I hate to tell you this, but the days are long gone when you had the flexibility to determine your opponent for homecoming. 3 years ago, Oak Ridge played in 3 homecoming games in a row.

Back to the game, Powell sure impressed me with their win over McCallie. It was a quality win for a program that was dying for one. Maryville, however, will be a bigger test. I like Maryville because of their defense. However, this will be a low scoring affair. Marville 14 - Powell 10.

Powell was the toughest next to the state game last year.

825749467[/snapback]

Perhaps Im very wrong, I know Powell played the RedRebels tough last year, but do you remember the Alabama A screen TRICK play that gave the RedRebels the chance to go ahead of Central with time winding down, weren't you losing that game until the final minutes. Take away that RedRebel first down and the Bobcats would have been in Murphreesboro. :thumb: Im not knocking Maryville, if you read my prior post, im usually very positive about the RedRebel program, just tossing out a reminder to some folks with very selective memories.

Powell will lose to Maryville by 2 TDs simply because the Powell coaching staff is'nt capable of getting it done against Quarles and company.

Powell was embarassed by Webb (AGAIN) and they defeated a REBUILDING McCallie team. I really believe they will battle Halls for the 3rd region playoff seed.

Powell was embarassed by Webb (AGAIN) and they defeated a REBUILDING McCallie team. I really believe they will battle Halls for the 3rd region playoff seed.

825750043[/snapback]

A rebuilding McCallie team? Where in the world do you come up with that? McCallie started 8 seniors and 3 juniors on defense and 5 seniors, 5 juniors, and a sophomore on offense against Powell. That's rebuilding? OK, if you insist.

Some of the McCallie guys in the press box told me that they believe that this could be the best McCallie team in the last 10 years or so, and that includes the 2000 team that won a D2 state championship.

As for Webb, yep, that's a game that Powell should have won, but have you seen what Webb has done since that opening game? They've proved that they are a pretty good football team.

Edited by HTV

Yep Webb beat Anderson counties 3A school, and??

Have you seen what Carter has done in 3-A? How many of those McCallie players are first year starters? By the way my Blue tornado info has come from reading post from the McCallie boards.

825750069[/snapback]

Great. Read away. My McCallie information came directly from the McCallie coaching and support staff. I worked the Powell/McCallie game last week, PSR. I'm not relying on something I read on a message board.

You are a Central guy, right? Could it just be that you are a bit on edge because Powell was able to do something that Central couldn't over the last two years?

Hmmmmmm. Makes one wonder.

As for Anderson County, they had beaten 4A Greenville and Fulton before hosting Webb.

Webb had just beaten Pope John Paul II, who defeated an outstanding Goodpasture team this past week.

Say what you want. Your assertions just don't hold water.

Great.  Read away.  My McCallie information came directly from the McCallie coaching and support staff.  I worked the Powell/McCallie game last week, PSR.  I'm not relying on something I read on a message board. 

You are a Central guy, right?  Could it just be that you are a bit on edge because Powell was able to do something that Central couldn't over the last two years? 

Hmmmmmm.  Makes one wonder. 

As for Anderson County, they had beaten 4A Greenville and Fulton before hosting Webb. 

Webb had just beaten Pope John Paul II, who defeated an outstanding Goodpasture team this past week. 

Say what you want.  Your assertions just don't hold water.

825750078[/snapback]

I'm glad you guys are talking about the Maryville Powell Game. Anyway It will be a good test for both programs and we will see what each coach is capable of.

Go rebels!!! Kick some kitty tail!!! :thumb: