Why Football players should Wrestle

rigger101

I have been around wrestling and football since 1957, it is my opinion that wrestling will make you a much better football player and a better citizen. Clint Abbott

Wrestling is like Asparagus It may be good for you but not many peaple really like it. And those that do love it. Personally I hate both. I agree with the Post about basketball being the sport of football players, endurance, quickness and hand eye coordination.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does not matter how many, fact is the skills translate directly over to the field. As to the injury situation, I got hurt worse in 2 years of soccer than 6 of wrestling. The injury factor is still there but lower than other sports. As soon as more coaches realize the true benefit they may have a change of heart and encourage it more.

Bend in unnatural ways, if you mean it increases flexibility so you can bend mor ethen what is wrong with that, and Madden 07 is not better than wrestling, I hope that was a joke.

I understand where you're coming from, you got a lot out of wrestling I'm sure, but stretching itself increases your flexibility more than anything, and as an added bonus, with stretching, you don't have cauliflower ear. There's no secret training program to be a great football player, or any other sports player. It's easy to say, hard to do. #1 You have to enjoy the game you play, most importantly. #2 You have to have some physical ability and talent to start with. #3 You will be as good as your work ethic and attitude will allow you to be (In lifting weights, running, stretching, studying the game, taking what you can from good coaches, eating right, getting good sleep, hanging around people of faith and character, and laying off the booze and cancer sticks). And my own #4 that I can personally attest to, You need to be right with Jesus, or you'll be misguided, unable to enjoy success, and all because you're doing all the above for the wrong reasons.

From the Gridiron to the Wrestling Mat: Wrestling is Training for Life

This is copyrighted material so I have changed it to link to the article. CoachT

I agree. B) Wrestling is a great compliment sport to football. Another sport that is almost as good, although it's not as popular around here is boxing. Develops foot speed, hand speed, hand/eye coordination, stamina & all around toughness. An old coach I know who played at Penn back in the '50s used boxing for players as an off-season program; speed-bag, heavy-bag, shadow boxing, jumping rope, sparring etc.

As they say: "You play football, you play basketball, tennis etc. You don't play box. You'll get your head knocked off.." Same thing goes for wrestling! No "playing" to it. Takes tremendous work & dedication.

Wrestling is very good for a lineman but it probably is even better for DB's. When a DB is in man coverage that is like being on an island by yourself (like being in the center of the mat for a state championship) and the DB must make the play or his team will give up 6. Another valuable lesson for the wrestler/DB is that a 5'8" & 160/lb DB is if that DB ever get's his hands on the back/receiver they may not make the solo tackle but they know how to hang on until help shows up.

I started my youngest son in wrestling when he was 5, only to see his football game improve every year. Wrestling is a sport that will help a football player with balance, footwork, and mental/physical toughness. I fully support both sports. My only wish is that football coaches would encourage their boys to wrestle more. Yes, wrestling will take weight off, yet it will increase agility and toughness. The pay off is great. In terms of injury, the risk is far lower in wrestling than in basketball. For those doubting-Thomases, watch a real wrestling match, better yet sign yourself and/or your son. A true test of manhood.

Finally some people with intelligence!!! I guess I shouldn't make blanket statements about all wrestlers not having athletic ability or being good enough to play football. There were some really good wrestlers who played football also. Look at the rock. He played football at Miami and he makes waaaaayyyyy more money now then any football player!!! Not to mention but few football players get to star in movies! I think he definitely made the right choice. But I think most pro wrestlers were probably football players in high school, and that helped them prepare more for wrestling then the other way around.

O.J. Simpson made the movies. Anyone know if he wrestled?

I started my youngest son in wrestling when he was 5, only to see his football game improve every year. Wrestling is a sport that will help a football player with balance, footwork, and mental/physical toughness. I fully support both sports. My only wish is that football coaches would encourage their boys to wrestle more. Yes, wrestling will take weight off, yet it will increase agility and toughness. The pay off is great. In terms of injury, the risk is far lower in wrestling than in basketball. For those doubting-Thomases, watch a real wrestling match, better yet sign yourself and/or your son. A true test of manhood.

How old is your son now?

He's nine and has played football for four years. He is in the third grade and plays middle linebacker and easily competes with 5th and 6th graders. I will also tell you that I have a Jr. in High school who has wrestled for 6 years and only wish he had started when he was so young. The point is not that my son is a superstar which he is not, I believe that wrestling is such a sport that requires a high skill level and coordination, the little one is much more coordinated and balanced with just a little wrestling experience.