Why Football players should Wrestle

rigger101

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is a long long post.... but i will agree wrestling will help a football player..

I tried to make it shorter but IMO it's all good info. Hopefully it will help those wimps who say " I don't watch guys in spandex" understand why it helps.

My high School team went from winning 1 game in 10 years to Division champs an a 8-2 record my Senior year.

We had a new coach who was also the wrestling coach and you either played BB or wrestle.

I feel it made us a better team and enabled us to beat larger teams. :thumb:

Our line averaged 170lbs playing in the largest division in the state where the avg was over 210 lbs +. All of our O & D Line and LB's wrestled.

Oldest and best sport in the world! :D

From the Gridiron to the Wrestling Mat: Wrestling is Training for Life

This is copyrighted material so I have changed it to link to the article. CoachT

i wrestled a little bit in the offseason and its amazing how quicker my feet got and my hands are so much quicker now.

that maryvillewho guy is just mad bc he lost and talked so much smack..

I wrestled and played football in high school from 1976 through 1980. Wrestling most definately helped me in football. I competed in state championships (football) and competed against state champions (wrestling). Both sports greatly helped me in the game of life. It really disappoints me that wrestling is not as big in Tennessee as it should be. It really pains me that outside of Shelby County, there are no high school wrestling teams in West Tennessee.

great topic Rigger101!

How about "why they shouldn't, or don't"?

The problem I have had is football coaches don't promote the sport because of weight loss and potential injury. The potential injury excuse is bull, and if you think about it, so is the weight loss issue. Wrestling season is over in mid-Feb. and that gives them plenty of time to regain any weight they may have lost, and if done correctly, that weight gain will actually make them stronger.

Now, why they don't. Some football coaches asking them not to because of the possible weight loss, and to keep them in the weight room. The most common excuse used by football players that I have recruited for my wrestling program, "the uniforms look gay". I won't publish my usual response to that. Let's just say I will give them a sock if they lack that much confidence!

I run into this at least 3 times per week. We had a big lineman that was big and soft and sitting on the bench. He didn't get playing time and he was like a big marshmellow. He started wrestling and everything changed for him. His body and more importantly, his mind, had changed. He started every game on the football team after that wrestling season and is now playing in college, at Stillman. Our Head Football coach doesn't doubt the benefits of wrestling anymore!

great topic Rigger101!

How about "why they shouldn't, or don't"?

The problem I have had is football coaches don't promote the sport because of weight loss and potential injury. The potential injury excuse is bull, and if you think about it, so is the weight loss issue. Wrestling season is over in mid-Feb. and that gives them plenty of time to regain any weight they may have lost, and if done correctly, that weight gain will actually make them stronger.

Now, why they don't. Some football coaches asking them not to because of the possible weight loss, and to keep them in the weight room. The most common excuse used by football players that I have recruited for my wrestling program, "the uniforms look gay". I won't publish my usual response to that. Let's just say I will give them a sock if they lack that much confidence!

:lol::):lol: Since the Reveiz brothers have come out for our wrestling team and have had such a great sucess in a short time period, I expect top see more football players coming out. :thumb: