this should give us some good debates since the MVP battles are a Cardinal vs. a Brave and a Yankee vs. a Red Sox. what makes it so difficult is the fact that Arod and Pujols are clearly the better players but Ortiz and Jones have definitely meant more to their team this year. im gonna go with Andruw Jones in the NL since he single handedly carried the Braves for a big part of the season, him being the only man to hit 50 this year helps his chances as well. the AL MVP is the big question, Arod or Big Papi....the numbers are basically the same execpt Arod has a little higher ba, but Ortiz is no slouch either cause he's batting around 300. im a Redsox fan so i cant go against David Ortiz after all he's done for this team. unless he hits a sharp decline soon he very well could go down in history as the greatest clutch hitter of all time, it seems like every time the game is on the line in the 8th or 9th he comes up to bat and he rarely lets us Redsox fans down. him being a dh shouldnt have any affect on the outcome of this award. i definitely think the fact that Arod is a gold glove 3rd baseman should help him out some but you cant take anything away from Ortiz just because he isnt out there, you cant penalize him just because he isnt given the opportunity to make plays with his glove. the edge Arod gets with his glove is negated by the clutch hitting of Ortiz so that basically puts us back where we started at, 2 guys with nearly identical stats. the Yanks clinching the AL east probably locked it up for Arod but i just dont have it in me to admit that a Yankee deserves it.

my vote goes to Andruw Jones and David Ortiz. im sure i will get plenty of arguments that it should be Pujols and Arod so lets hear them?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this should give us some good debates since the MVP battles are a Cardinal vs. a Brave and a Yankee vs. a Red Sox. what makes it so difficult is the fact that Arod and Pujols are clearly the better players but Ortiz and Jones have definitely meant more to their team this year. im gonna go with Andruw Jones in the NL since he single handedly carried the Braves for a big part of the season, him being the only man to hit 50 this year helps his chances as well. the AL MVP is the big question, Arod or Big Papi....the numbers are basically the same execpt Arod has a little higher ba, but Ortiz is no slouch either cause he's batting around 300. im a Redsox fan so i cant go against David Ortiz after all he's done for this team. unless he hits a sharp decline soon he very well could go down in history as the greatest clutch hitter of all time, it seems like every time the game is on the line in the 8th or 9th he comes up to bat and he rarely lets us Redsox fans down. him being a dh shouldnt have any affect on the outcome of this award. i definitely think the fact that Arod is a gold glove 3rd baseman should help him out some but you cant take anything away from Ortiz just because he isnt out there, you cant penalize him just because he isnt given the opportunity to make plays with his glove. the edge Arod gets with his glove is negated by the clutch hitting of Ortiz so that basically puts us back where we started at, 2 guys with nearly identical stats. the Yanks clinching the AL east probably locked it up for Arod but i just dont have it in me to admit that a Yankee deserves it.

my vote goes to Andruw Jones and David Ortiz. im sure i will get plenty of arguments that it should be Pujols and Arod so lets hear them?

I could care less. All MVP/Cy Young awards are now are filler time for talk radio and newpaper columns until October baseball starts. It's just worse than normal because of who the two AL candidates play for. Who's even going to remember who won by the All Star break next season, or spring training for that matter?

Honestly, this is not a Cardinal vs Brave thing, but I think it's obviosly Pujols over Jones. Jones led league in HR and RBI, but Pujols not far behind in top 5 in both. And I just can't overlook the fact Pujols outhit Jones by 60 or 70 points. I don't really understand the constant thing I hear about Braves injuries. What significant offensive injuries are we talking about other than the time Chipper missed. Are we talking Jordan and Mondesi?-I didn't expect much from them anyway and replacements were better. Maybe there is someone else, but still don't think they had as many offensive injuries as Cardinals. Cardinals lost Rolen for year, Sanders, Walker, Molina for a significant part of year and Grudz off and on during year. Only starters that stayed realatively healthy all year were Pujols Edmonds and Eckstein and Edmonds had a subpar year for him. The one constant was Pujols, so I don't understand the argument that Jones had an edge because of all the Brave injuries on offense. Jones does have defensive edge, but MVP has never been about defense---maybe it shoud factor in, but never has. I see Pujols clearly ahead, not really much doubt. And I would say that no matter who he played for. A Jones had a great year, but not better than Pujols.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS MY OPINION AND NOT MEANT AS AN ANTI BRAVE OR ANTI JONES COMMENT!!!!

AL, and I can guarantee this is my true opinion because I like Ortiz and the Sox better than the Yankees. Both had great years and are deserving of the honor. But if you had to go with one, I would have to a A-Rod. His numbers are a little better overall IMO. But I would not argue if Ortiz won. And I don't buy the DH thing as being a factor, because as stated above, MVP (right or wrong) has never been about defense.

gotta go with jones...just think, where would the braves be without him this year...streak definitely would have been stopped at 13..without pujols the cards would have still won their division..

Also an interesting theory I have heard, Pujols is penalized for leading Cardinals to best record in baseball? Doesn't make sense to me?

Also an interesting theory I have heard, Pujols is penalized for leading Cardinals to best record in baseball? Doesn't make sense to me?

Funny thing is, Cards had more people miss more time to injury than Atlanta did. Plus, Pujols will take a base hit to right instead of trying to hit one out if he gets that pitch.

Once again, it doesn't matter. Just give me 11 more wins! ;)

Funny thing is, Cards had more people miss more time to injury than Atlanta did. Plus, Pujols will take a base hit to right instead of trying to hit one out if he gets that pitch.

Once again, it doesn't matter. Just give me 11 more wins! :thumb:

This is correct, all the division titles, 100 win seasons, MVP's, CY's , ROY is really irrelavant at this point. All that matters is being the first team to 11 wins. There are some really too close to call first round matchups/those 3 out of 5 are dangerous.

Once again, it doesn't matter. Just give me 11 more wins! :thumb:

may have had more people miss time but not more important people miss time...us losing chipper would be like yall losing pujols basically...

Even though I am a Giants fan, I am just glad Barry Bonds won't be MVP this year.

AL - I don't like the Yankees but Oritz is a DH and Manny costs the Bosox too many runs with his defense. I have to go with Alex Rodriquez. Actually, Mariano Rivera probably deserves some consideration.

NL - I am going with Pujols because he probably deserved the award at least once in the last 2 years. Andruw Jones had a great year but Pujols' numbers are close and he has had 5 great years in a row. If they have the same numbers next year, I'll say Jones next year.

JMHO

This is correct, all the division titles, 100 win seasons, MVP's, CY's , ROY is really irrelavant at this point. All that matters is being the first team to 11 wins. There are some really too close to call first round matchups/those 3 out of 5 are dangerous.

And that is why the traditionalist in me loathes the wild card with a passion.