Tobacco Illegal on Football Field

Sarah Beth

I disagree. A rule is made to be followed. Adults plainly not following the rules sets a very bad example for those boys.

"Some rules are ok to break, you choose which ones you want to follow, the others are unimportant".

Not a good message for young men.

It happens at our school as well, most of the I suspect.

TSSAA should pay better attention.

Oh!!! come on you people dont care you wouldnt follow the rules either..you make a big arguement over this to cause a stir..no one cares never will...Let it be!! not hurting anyone ..look away then

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At 41 years old I have been dipping Skoal for 29 years. The last 12 of those years were spent as a teacher and coach in the public schools. Since I have moved on to a new profession, I can now come clean and confess. I dipped at practice, on the bus, and occasionally even at school during planning periods and on lunch break. Granted, I took small dips and learned to spit discreetly or not at all. It wasn't something I flaunted and many people may not have even known I was a dipper. It is not something I am proud of and I have tried to quit for years. Dipping is an addiction and can be a nasty little habit. I certainly never encouraged any of my students or players to do it. Personally, I believe we all have the right to make our own choices, and that adults can even choose harmful ones. For the teachers and coaches who dip and smoke, the best they can say to the kids is "do as I say not as I do."

Politically correct asside, this is a federal law.

Federal law states no tobacco products carried or used on school property.

And for your information, spit is nasty. Those boys walk through it all during the game. Spit is spit is spit.

My pappy did well too, his pappy and his pappy did just as good but rules change all the time and mostly for the better.

Now, if you don't mind, please name a rule that made to be broken.

No offense, but you are gonna have to show me that particular Federal Law in black and white before I believe it! If nothing else give me the cite and I will look it up in the law library I have at work. And YES I have complete access to ALL the State and Federal Statues.

give it a rest, a kids not gonna start dipping because he saw his coach doing it on the sideline..a kid would start doing something like that if an upperclassmen or someone like that was doing it well before he would if a coach was..and i mean are you saying coaches just shouldn't dip on the sidelines, wouldn't it be the same thing if a player saw his coach at the movies or something and he had a dip in or anywhere else...people are around tobacco all the time, seeing one other person isn't gonna make that much of a difference, just let it go

I played all four years of high school football and started dipping my sophomore year. My coach at the time did but that in no way affected my decision, it was other players that just kinda got me into it. He was always very strict about us with regard to tobacco.....it was banned from the stadium (a wall outside the stadium became a somewhat popular hangout spot before and after practice) and banned from the bus. That rule didn't always work out very well but I found his intent very strong, he always talked to us about how we should never start lest we end up like him. I see it as a personal choice, I still dip and probably won't stop for a while. However, I wouldn't wish that anyone else start for the world. As far as the TSSAA is concerned, they have jurisdiction over the events and have every right to ban smoking, however I don't see a major impact from dipping at the field, unless an enterprising individual put it in their mouthpiece ;) . BTW: Tried that, don't do it!

It,s actually a T$$AA rule based on the drug-free workplace policy. Smokeless tobacco is viewed as a drug. Like butter-knives are considered under zero-tolerance. Go figure

If the TSSAA considers nicotine a drug, then cokes should not be sold at the games. Caffiene is nearly as addictive as nicotine, only most people don't notice because the side effects are not as severe. Not to mention, someone else said that "tobacco was dangerous." Dynamite, Guns, and Acid are dangerous, as in they constitute an immediate threat to whoevers using them. Neither smoking, nor second hand smoke, nor smokeless tobacco are dangerous. Harmful, of course, but dang it if a coach or any other person wants to harm themselves, go for it.

Dipping seems to be pretty popular amoung the members on this thread.

What other rules would you allow coaches to break. What about Alcohol?

The logic that some of you are following is dangerous. "if it aint hurtin someone else, than go ahead' That is a scary scenerio for our schools.

Dipping is illegal on school grounds.

It causes cancer. (I know everything causes cancer)

Almost everyone on this thread that has dipped for a long time discourages anyone to start.

TSSAA says no.

Why is this an option? I have seen football coaches dip at basketball games. I have seen a coach smoke a cigerette at football practice.

This is an issue that needs to be dealt with.

ive been posting on this thread also and i havent dipped a day in my life.... im sure theres cars out there that people sholdnt drive..im sure theres colors people like that they shouldnt like (according to other people)...get the point? turn the other cheak...do you really go to football games to look at what rules people are breaking? you go to have a good time..end of story

Dipping seems to be pretty popular amoung the members on this thread.

What other rules would you allow coaches to break. What about Alcohol?

The logic that some of you are following is dangerous. "if it aint hurtin someone else, than go ahead' That is a scary scenerio for our schools.

Dipping is illegal on school grounds.

It causes cancer. (I know everything causes cancer)

Almost everyone on this thread that has dipped for a long time discourages anyone to start.

TSSAA says no.

Why is this an option? I have seen football coaches dip at basketball games. I have seen a coach smoke a cigerette at football practice.

This is an issue that needs to be dealt with.

Alcohol is a whole different area.

Tobacco, Caffiene, Asprin they all have an effect but not one that effects your motor skills or decision making experience.

For most of us this is just not that big of a deal.

Big Brother is taking control of our lives more and more day by day. This is why I say some rules are made to be broken.

If one doesn't get outside the lines from time to time how can they make decisions when things are on the line.

Enjoy the game, quit looking for the little things to upset you.