Week 10 White House At Greenbrier

timbdp

Well I'll stay out of the White House posts from now on. I now know what I said was stupid. I mean White House did make a huge run for the playoffs after a rough start. Congratulations Blue Devils. I just feel bad for those Patriots who can't get any love. But I guess some of the best teams work through that....Congratulations to both Programs on a fine season.

No need to stay out..... Heritage is in a tough position right now. In a town that is totally Blue and White..... And many of the older fans will always be Blue and White. It is THEIR heritage.

Heritage will build their own legacy, but it doesn't happen overnight. Many of us feel it is unfortunate how the whole split happened. It was unfortunate because the community supported the Blue Devils. Would be the same way in Greenbrier if another high school opened up because of a feud......

I have no hate for Heritage. No need. I am disappointed that our community has two high schools, not from an educational standpoint, but from a sports viewpoint. I can understand your frustration because every WH fan felt the same frustration on the whole split situation.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'll stay out of the White House posts from now on. I now know what I said was stupid. I mean White House did make a huge run for the playoffs after a rough start. Congratulations Blue Devils. I just feel bad for those Patriots who can't get any love. But I guess some of the best teams work through that....Congratulations to both Programs on a fine season.

I don't think anyone is slamming you for being high on Heritage. They are to be commended for making strides and they continue to do so. I think the original post was viewed as piling on a White House team that still had much to be proud of following a loss to Greenbrier, which was a tough dose of pride.

I hope Heritage continues to improve, but I also think that it is a shame the split happened and that the two schools have to share a stadium. Though it's at the city park, and no offense to Heritage, it's kind of hard for the Blue Devils to know they can't paint that WH in the middle of the field until Heritage is eliminated from the playoff picture or done with all their games. That red and navy concessions stand is hard to take, although we know you all have every right to be there.

There is just a lot of history in that stadium for the Blue Devil fans and now it appears we have to share it. Sure, the signage hasn't been changed and some things have been allowed to continue, and for that I'm sure they are thankful. I know it must be hard for Heritage to play in a place with BDP painted all over it, too.

Sharing something new with neutral signage would be one thing, but having a new tenant move into the place you have held for years is a little tougher, so I hope you understand why that's hard for White House fans.

What's going to happen the first year both teams make the playoffs and get a home game? Doesn't the TSSAA mandate all playoff game starting times at 7 p.m. on Friday? I just think that will be a bad deal.

Until then, maybe we can make it work and both teams will be successful.

The White House football teams of recent years have been able to enjoy the "luxury" of having a big stadium and I understand that that's where many young men will remember Blue Devil football being played. I was remembering the yesteryears that the Blue Devils would host teams like Greenbrier on the what is now a mere memory of a football field that is behind the civic center. Even with the nice facilities of Whitson field, the old time football field holds good memories. The same goes for going to Greenbrier like we did the other night. They have played on that field since I was a little kid. White House has no room for whining about sharing a field when some some schools don't to have their field planted in the middle of a big city park.

And to be fair, White House Heritage is as much "city" as White House is. Again wasn't the kids fault that the schools split.

No need to stay out..... Heritage is in a tough position right now. In a town that is totally Blue and White..... And many of the older fans will always be Blue and White. It is THEIR heritage.

Heritage will build their own legacy, but it doesn't happen overnight. Many of us feel it is unfortunate how the whole split happened. It was unfortunate because the community supported the Blue Devils. Would be the same way in Greenbrier if another high school opened up because of a feud......

I have no hate for Heritage. No need. I am disappointed that our community has two high schools, not from an educational standpoint, but from a sports viewpoint. I can understand your frustration because every WH fan felt the same frustration on the whole split situation.

The way the counties connect in this area is crazy in aspects of zoning. Kids from across 31W have to pay to come to White House while kids down in Goodlettsville on Hwy 41 (going toward Springfield) can come 15 miles to school with no problem. But whoever heard of a straight lined county line? But then what would we do if we tried to start a White House city school system? The kids that are just outside the city limits couldn't come here? That would leave out Cottontown and the areas that have always gone to Sumner. It may be a nice town but it's location sure causes a quandry and a division.

Greenbrier is forunate not to have a county line near them, but they have had rezoning too, sending younger kids that have always gone to Greenbrier to Krisle way out on Hwy 49, and ones closer to Ridgetop to Watauga. Who makes up these rules??? Once a kid has a set school path of elementary, middle and high school, don't mess with their zoning!

Edited by WHHS1975

I graduated from Heritage last year...I played football for White House my 7th and 8th grade seasons...I LOVE where I got to play, I feel so fortunate to have had the chance to play football at Memorial Stadium....I really wish we had our own field, though....I wish White House could've kept their own field...The rumor a couple years ago was that White House was going to build themselves a new stadium...I honestly hope that isn't the case...I want White House to keep their LONG history at that field, and continue it. I want Heritage to be able to at some point have their own field and start to build themselves a tradition at HOME....How can you have a HOME if two families live there? I hope someday that maybe White House and White House Heritage can have the kind of rivalry like White House and Greenbrier have. Until then I appreciate the people that do give us support....Ya'll are great

I'm still trying to figure out how that has anything to do with the Greenbrier game...

The White House program may have been down this season from years past, but the fact is we are still advancing to the playoffs and everyone's record is 0-0. You cannot fault those boys for coming out of an 0-3 slump to make a season of it.

The Heritage program improved by one game. Well, good. I'm glad you are improving and I hope it continues. Fact of the matter is, you would like to compare White House to last season and say we are going down...

White House was 13-1 and six points away from playing for a state championship in Class 4-A with a 3-A enrollment team. Those graduating class numbers you spoke of might seem small, but when all four classes are added together, you find that number is exactly why a 3-A team was having to play 4-A competition for three years, and did it very well.

But that's the past. Here comes the future.

The current Blue Devils are 5-5 and headed to the playoffs. Next season, we lose some seniors, but the underclassmen coming are very talented. Everyone will worry about losing Ladd, but they forget about Justin West. He has never been a starter before and is arguably as good a back.

The Blue Devils freshmen are undefeated. And they went undefeated last season as a middle school team. Both seasons were led by what started to be a backup at quarterback in Zack Duty and turned into a heck of a player. What some consider to be the best athlete on the team has hardly played at all the last two years with injury (Parker). They played in one of the best organized middle school conferences in Tennessee in Sumner and won it going away, and then steamrolled through freshman competition including some HIGH classification teams. That's 15-0 in two seasons.

Then, let's look at middle school. Remember that freshmen bunch that went 7-0 in eighth grade? Well, the team from this season matched them and did it with perhaps even more dominance. They have skill position players who figure to contribute at the varsity level for years to come. That Dixon kid at tailback is the real deal, and I hope to see him get some varsity action as a freshman (wishful thinking of a fan?). The Greenwade kid at quarterback is pretty special.

So in two seasons, those two groups are 22-0. I'd say that bodes well for the future. I'm not sure anyone can say they have done that over two seasons at White House.

So wish what you may for the future, Heritage.

I have seen the future, and it's full of Blue and White.

Is your name Kent

I graduated from Heritage last year...I played football for White House my 7th and 8th grade seasons...I LOVE where I got to play, I feel so fortunate to have had the chance to play football at Memorial Stadium....I really wish we had our own field, though....I wish White House could've kept their own field...The rumor a couple years ago was that White House was going to build themselves a new stadium...I honestly hope that isn't the case...I want White House to keep their LONG history at that field, and continue it. I want Heritage to be able to at some point have their own field and start to build themselves a tradition at HOME....How can you have a HOME if two families live there? I hope someday that maybe White House and White House Heritage can have the kind of rivalry like White House and Greenbrier have. Until then I appreciate the people that do give us support....Ya'll are great

It's a bad situation- just because of politics and a group of folks who thought they knew what was best has become a mess! For those guys that graduated last year and this year... we remember you and take a peek to find out how you are doing. Know that we do care. ;)

Seeing the 23-game win streak come to an end did not hurt nearly as much as I thought it would.

I firmly believe the reason for that is that the Greenbrier players and fans chose not to rub our noses in it.

Tremendous amount of class all around from the Bobcat faithful!!!!

Hey Advocate! I felt the same way you did. I knew the streak would eventually come to an end, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be either. The Greenbrier players and their fans were very classy about their win. I watched the interview with their Coach and was very impressed. He was a class act kinda dude- As I watched him on the sideline, I never saw him get an angry look on his face at his players or at the refs. He didn't look all bulled up- Kudos to Greenbrier. ;) Oops almost forgot- What made this game so great was that it was CLEAN hard playing football. NO CHEAP SHOTS-I'd take a game like that anyday compared to the one we had with SC-

Edited by Vandyman21

Best of luck to White House and Greenbrier in the playoffs. Hope to meet again.

P.S. NoDoubt, your family should be proud. Two great ballplayers. Better yet, one can hold the last year's 3A Mr. Football trophy while the other QB'd the end of the streak. Not bad, not bad at all. I'd call that fair, don't you think?? :thumb:

Thanks for the kind words WHHS1975. We've definitely been blessed. I've thought of this the same way that you mention it. Both will have been a part of something special that all the old folks will be bringing from time to time for years to come.

Another observance from the game..........

It was great to see the large group of former players that were all huddled up together in the SW end zone under the flag pole. It looked almost like the classes of 2004/05 were having a class reunion. It was neat to see the support. It was also special to see some of the former White House players right in there with them. Again, this is what high school football is all about.

Edited by NoDoubt

Is your name Kent

Nah, I'm just an old man who loves my White House Football.

I am a Nashville work transplant to White House and I have no kids there, I'm just a football fan and now this is my home and I love it. I am thankful that I have been able to see the program build from the 1980s to now. I don't go way back, but from looking at the history, it appears that the decades past were full of struggles before this modern-day run.

There's something special there. I have family that lives in other states and they can't believe high school football is this big here, they just don't understand.

Nah, I'm just an old man who loves my White House Football.

I am a Nashville work transplant to White House and I have no kids there, I'm just a football fan and now this is my home and I love it. I am thankful that I have been able to see the program build from the 1980s to now. I don't go way back, but from looking at the history, it appears that the decades past were full of struggles before this modern-day run.

There's something special there. I have family that lives in other states and they can't believe high school football is this big here, they just don't understand.

That's cool! High school sports teams need guys like you. :thumb: