The Kingsport Times News

WaCoJaCo

Hey, the fishing report is good! Try those South Holsten Smallies

LOL! ;) I saw that. Even worse than that, the Kingsport Times News had a huge article on ocean sailboat racing somewhere in Spain. Now that's hard hitting sports info that the good people in the mountians of East Tennessee need to have. :)

Come on Times News, I know you guys read this. As long as Pat Kenney is in charge we'll keep getting this crapola I guess. Arrogance at it's finest. I have to beileve Bill Lane is handcuffed by the in power people above him.

Kingsport Dobyns-Bennett and Sullivan North and Sullivan South should be the local sports focus. Cover all the sports, especially teams like South's volleyball or the Track and Field events (not just the Times News Relays). After that, fine, give Gate City some press. Throw a bone to Central, East, and Volunteer from time to time too.

To make my case:

I was actually cleaning out my basement last night and flipping the radio on the AM dial, looking for talk radio, when I came across a game being played on Thursday night on WKPT 1400. It was the Region I Middle school football championship being played at Colonial Heights Middle School between Colonial Heights and Vance (Bristol feeder). Colonial Heights, being South's main feeder school and all, I thought there would be an article in the Kingsport Times today. I know one of the player's dad, and I thought I'd save him an extra copy. Guess what, NO coverage from the Kingsport Times News. Just a little box score that butchered player's names. The radio said Colonial Heights is 9-0 and 32-1 over the past 4 years and that can't even get you a paragraph?!? I did see earlier in the year where the Kingsport feeder teams' game was covered by the Times. That's good. But, those teams didn't even make the playoffs to play for the championship. This game was the championship for our, and the Times News, area and was broadcast on the radio. I checked the internet and like clockwork, TriCitiesSports.com came through covering the championship game. When the Elizabethton paper, in a smaller area and a smaller paper, covers every game down through freshman ball and middle school ball in their area, why is it that the Kingsport Times News feels that the biggest middle school game of the year in Kingsport, that is covered by the radio and internet sites, is not worthy to be printed on their dead-tree rag? Whew...easy blood pressure. I'm just sick of all the SW coverage and obsure unneeded national and world crapola.

I'm stepping off my soapbox now and looking to see what playoff game to attend tonight.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pudding,

We [TriCitiesSports.com] did cover the Area Middle School Championship Game last night. Check out the lead story posted on the website.

Others,

Thanks for the kind words about our website. We cover all sports related to Dobyns-Bennett, Sullivan South, Sullivan North, Volunteer and selected areas for Sullivan Central, Cherokee and Elizabethton. Gate City is also prominently featured as well.

Plus, check out our full coverage of University of Tennessee football as well.

FINS UP! COACH T!

Pudding,

We [TriCitiesSports.com] did cover the Area Middle School Championship Game last night. Check out the lead story posted on the website.

Others,

Thanks for the kind words about our website. We cover all sports related to Dobyns-Bennett, Sullivan South, Sullivan North, Volunteer and selected areas for Sullivan Central, Cherokee and Elizabethton. Gate City is also prominently featured as well.

Plus, check out our full coverage of University of Tennessee football as well.

FINS UP! COACH T!

Parrothaed Vol,

Yes, I know you covered it.... I thought that was what I had said... I said TriCitiesSports.com came through like clockwork...ie... you guys are like clockwork or a fine tuned machine covering the local sports that we care about. Keep up the fine work...

By the way, I am also a pirate, 200 years too late, and now looking at 40. And though I do not have a Pencil-thin mustache, I would gladly treat you to a Cheesburger and Boat Drinks anytime my friend. I can't actually play Six String Music, but if I could I'd join you and we could just Play for Gumbo. I count my Lucky Stars for TriCitiesSports.com. You're better than all the other Fruitcakes and their Semi-true Stories. Only Time Will Tell if they'll get it. This Cultural Infidel is staying Incommunacado for now. Fins to the left, Fins to the Right, TriCitiesSports is best day and night! :blink:

I dont see what your complaining about. DB gets way to much coverage in Times News. Did anyone see that paper last Saturday? DB loses and still gets front page. Sullivan South should get much more coverage, but I'd say that since DB football is over they will start talking about Tribe basketball or DB might even make a ping-pong team so they will have something to write about. Quit crying, DB's season is over anyways. :thumb:

I dont see what your complaining about. DB gets way to much coverage in Times News. Did anyone see that paper last Saturday? DB loses and still gets front page. Sullivan South should get much more coverage, but I'd say that since DB football is over they will start talking about Tribe basketball or DB might even make a ping-pong team so they will have something to write about. Quit crying, DB's season is over anyways. :thumb:

If you had taken the time to read the whole thread you would have known that there are DB fans in the thread complaining that neither DB nor South get the coverage they should by the TN. :) There was at least one DB away game that wasn't mentioned except in the HS Football score summary on Saturday. The general complaint is that there should be more coverage of DB, South, and North. Less coverage of SW Va schools - at least on the front page. Or was you post just to be a smart :) ?

At first I thought, Oh look another Idiot South fan. But then I thought, hey thats a little harsh to think of a South fan like that. I mean think about it. They have enjoyed only 4 playoff victorys in the entire history of the school! They haven't defeated Dobyns Bennett in 500 dog years. Even loosing again this year despite having their best team in 10 years and DB maybe having their weakest team in 10 years. Some say South even has a chance to win two playoff games in one year. You guys can brag about beating Mo. East & Danial Boone for years to come.

maybe you guys should go pick on someone you have actually beat in football :thumb:

Read the whole thread before you thread jhite. The gripe is that there has been a dropoff of coverage as of late. Not just for DB, but South as well. Now a few think that the Times News got wind of people being upset about this and did make an effort in the last couple of weeks to at least give local teams the coverage the were getting a year or two ago. Get the concept? It is a fact that the TImes news Sports page is not the same it was even a year or two ago. Even South is not getting the coverage they used to. You might want to change your negative attitude a bit, it will get you further.

Edited by bud

I am a South Rebel fan through and through. I am a 1983 graduate and when I was at South there was a healthy respect/rivalry between D-B and South. The series with the Indians was always hard fought and the out come was always close. The last few years have been hard on us Rebels as we had fallen on hard times. Hopefully that ship has been uprighted. With that said there is no other team that I want the Rebels to be competitive with and win more than the Indians. However, I will not bad mouth, put down or otherwise ridicule anyone that plays for or cheers for D-B. I know that the flames have been fanned by both sides from time to time, however I would hope that the people posting as South fans would stop trying to rub it in. I just don't understand that. These are 16, 17 and 18 year old kids out there giving it there all. I congradulate D-B on a good year, not up to standards of late, but none the less a good year. For those Rebel fans that don't remember what it feels like to be in the position they are in now, which is winning with class, just stand in front of the field house, look up and read all the conference championships and district championships that came before and be proud of the fact we are adding another to that sign. Now with that said I agree with the posters on times-news press coverage it has been lacking, for every Kingsport high school. Thanks and let's go gettem REBS!!!!! :thumb:

If all the South fans were like 83SouthRebel it would be easy to pull for them in the 4A playoffs.

I actually think that the 3 or 4 South fans that have been posting all the crap about DB the last couple of weeks might be the same person with different screen names. It would be hard to believe there would be 3 people that stupid posting on the same message board.

I have a hard time beleiving you can judge an entire schools fans.....by 3 or 4 peoples ignorant internet posts.....the fact is DB has close to 2000 kids, south has a 1000....it is a major hurdle to be competitive with a school twice anothers size....ask tenn high and elizabethton.......they got a taste of what south has been dealing with the past few years.......especially with the decline in population of its student body due to kingsport annexation...south's pop. has decreased and DBs has increased