The Kingsport Times News

WaCoJaCo

Now a few think that the Times News got wind of people being upset about this and did make an effort in the last couple of weeks to at least give local teams the coverage the were getting a year or two ago. Get the concept?

That is certainly my suspicion although its hard for me to believe that they bother to look at these CoachT threads. The TN did have really nice coverage of the South game - nice photos, etc this morning. I'm not even a South fan but read it anyway 'cause it looked like a good write up.

I think we just need to see how they respond in basket ball, base ball, etc seasons and then again next year in football season. If they continue what they were doing then they just need to find that sponsors/advertisers won't support them because of customer complaints. Tricities Sports is a good alternative anyway.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is certainly my suspicion although its hard for me to believe that they bother to look at these CoachT threads.

Trust me, the Times News are very aware of this thread and CoachT and the amount of upset readers in the Kingsport area. It should be obvious to us all that they have been trying to make amends in the past two weeks. They even had an article about the Area I Colonial Heights Middle School's football Championship and undefeated season... 32-1 over the past four years deserves something too. Now if the Times-News were not listening to complaining customers or maybe even friends of the paper offering good advice, why would they print the Middle School Championship article over a week late? Why print it at all. Hmmm. And I had nothing to do with that, I promise.

From here, I plan to be a loyal patron of TriCitiesSports.com both online and in print. But, I will also wait to see if Mr. Kenney and the Times has gotten it figured out and will continue covering local Kingsport area sports primarily. Who cares about sailing in Spain, old men playing golf on the west coast, or tiddly winks from the hills in Virginia. Everyone deserves a second chance, but we'll have to wait and see on the Times... :blink:

i'd like to know your IQ. I would post mine on here, but I have class and I'm not about letting everyone into my personal life. Second of all, the only 2 teams worth printing in the CT are East and West..Most readers are from MORRISTOWN...

The CT covers the LAKEWAY area...which includes 7 other schools not named East and West...it's not all about you guys, but it's mostly about you guys.

Stop your whining!!! You have nothing to whine about!! :rolleyes:

If all the South fans were like 83SouthRebel it would be easy to pull for them in the 4A playoffs.

I actually think that the 3 or 4 South fans that have been posting all the crap about DB the last couple of weeks might be the same person with different screen names. It would be hard to believe there would be 3 people that stupid posting on the same message board.

[/quote/]

With all do respect to DB and South fans, the bickering needs to stop. South and DB played in august, DB winning a classic. And correct me if I'm wrong but its november. DB lost in the first round to arguably the best 4 seed in the state, but still 9 wins on the year, very impressive. The Rebels are still alive in the 4A playoffs with one of the best teams in South High School history. But come on people lets face it, high school football doesnt exist anywhere east of Maryville. DB has one of the most storied traditions of football but no rings. South has been down for many years but seems to be on the rise. And the last team to represent extreme east tennessee in murfreesboro was cloudland, and they got beat 62-26. The fact of the matter is everyone should pull for everyone when it comes playoff time b/c in the eyes of anyone west of Maryville there is no such thing as football in upper east tennessee.

I have a hard time beleiving you can judge an entire schools fans.....by 3 or 4 peoples ignorant internet posts.....the fact is DB has close to 2000 kids, south has a 1000....it is a major hurdle to be competitive with a school twice anothers size....ask tenn high and elizabethton.......they got a taste of what south has been dealing with the past few years.......especially with the decline in population of its student body due to kingsport annexation...south's pop. has decreased and DBs has increased

This whole big school-small school thing has been brought up and brought up and here we go again.....OK

According to the TSSAA website...DB has 1671 students (not close to 2000) and South has 1110 (more than 1000). So when you look at real numbers and not mythical guesses it works out to 561 students....not all of those are guys and not all of those guys are going to play football. So it is not really that big of a discrepency. I have seen both DB and South play this year and South has a a pretty good team...maybe not as many kids as DB...but a large # of kids. Also, only 11 guys play at any time and many good players play both ways anyway. So it is 11 on 11 not 33 against 11. South had about twice as many players as Boone did Friday night (probably more) but they still went out and competed. Boone actually has a more legit argument about a "bigger" school taking players because of annexation. Johnson City (Science Hill) has gobbled up alot of land around the Gray area...alot more that Kingsport has. And dude I live in Colonial Heights and there is no shortage of people living and going to school in the area...I see it every day at 5:00 when I try to get from Food City to my turn onto Colonial Hgts Road

Morristown West has about the same # of kids enrolled as South...1126 and I think I recall Friday night on the news the statement that MO West has a 91 or 92 man football team! That is alot more than DB.

Maryville has about the same # of students as South but I know they would play with and beat DB on a given Friday night.

Bradley Central (5A) has over 2300 kids but only won 1 game this year in 5A so what is there problem? Riverdale has 2313 students which is 642 more than DB. There is a bigger gap between Riverdale and DB (642) than between DB and South (561) but we have to go through them if we want to win state.

A long post but I keep hearing this argument from South, TN High, etc about how much "bigger" DB is and the facts just don't bear it out. Besides, all the local teams played head-to-head for years up until re-classification and DB didn't win all the games. Hello...South won I think the last 2 or 3 conference championships under the old classification and beat DB pretty good during that run.

Again, one word guys.

TriCitiesSports.com

Parrothead, even though you are a South homer...I still enjoy listening to your analysis on 1400 after the DB games. I think you and Jay Thomas do a great job on the scoreboard show and kudos to Scott Gray on Monday nights. Keep up the good work.

By the way...didn't you used to call the sportsline show? I think I remember you calling in and giving great analysis there as well. I haven't heard you on there in some time and that show needs you! All the talk is nascar nascar nascar and the Boston Celtics and the Duke Blue Devils:blink: That's why I love tricitiessports.com Ron Bliss and crew do a great job of covering all local teams

• 5 months later...

Back to the STAR. In Friday's paper, the STAR, with only four people and two stringers on their sports staff had 11 byline stories - covering one signing, outdoors and nine games; plus little league games, etc. Not counting doing layout and other things - those guys work their tails off. They have more local copy than anybody in the area.

Your 561 differential that really doesn't matter is about Brentwood Academy and Alcoa combined. I would say 600 kids can make a huge difference.

Ole Dad

This whole big school-small school thing has been brought up and brought up and here we go again.....OK

According to the TSSAA website...DB has 1671 students (not close to 2000) and South has 1110 (more than 1000). So when you look at real numbers and not mythical guesses it works out to 561 students....not all of those are guys and not all of those guys are going to play football. So it is not really that big of a discrepency. I have seen both DB and South play this year and South has a a pretty good team...maybe not as many kids as DB...but a large # of kids. Also, only 11 guys play at any time and many good players play both ways anyway. So it is 11 on 11 not 33 against 11. South had about twice as many players as Boone did Friday night (probably more) but they still went out and competed. Boone actually has a more legit argument about a "bigger" school taking players because of annexation. Johnson City (Science Hill) has gobbled up alot of land around the Gray area...alot more that Kingsport has. And dude I live in Colonial Heights and there is no shortage of people living and going to school in the area...I see it every day at 5:00 when I try to get from Food City to my turn onto Colonial Hgts Road

Morristown West has about the same # of kids enrolled as South...1126 and I think I recall Friday night on the news the statement that MO West has a 91 or 92 man football team! That is alot more than DB.

Maryville has about the same # of students as South but I know they would play with and beat DB on a given Friday night.

Bradley Central (5A) has over 2300 kids but only won 1 game this year in 5A so what is there problem? Riverdale has 2313 students which is 642 more than DB. There is a bigger gap between Riverdale and DB (642) than between DB and South (561) but we have to go through them if we want to win state.

A long post but I keep hearing this argument from South, TN High, etc about how much "bigger" DB is and the facts just don't bear it out. Besides, all the local teams played head-to-head for years up until re-classification and DB didn't win all the games. Hello...South won I think the last 2 or 3 conference championships under the old classification and beat DB pretty good during that run.