The Kingsport Times News

WaCoJaCo

Every Saturday morning I pick up the local "City" newspaper, The Kingsport Times News, hoping to see some coverage of the only city high school in Kingsport (Dobyns Bennett). All I ever see is The Gate City Blue Devils plastered all over the front page of the sports section. Complete with huge colored pictures of action shots from their games. Whats wrong with this you might ask. Well Gate City is not in Kingsport nor are they even in this state. And its not just DB getting the cold shoulder. Gate City gets more coverage in this paper than all the schools in a 30 mi. radius put together.

Anyone else in upper east tn. agree ?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every Saturday morning I pick up the local "City" newspaper, The Kingsport Times News, hoping to see some coverage of the only city high school in Kingsport (Dobyns Bennett). All I ever see is The Gate City Blue Devils plastered all over the front page of the sports section. Complete with huge colored pictures of action shots from their games. Whats wrong with this you might ask. Well Gate City is not in Kingsport nor are they even in this state. And its not just DB getting the cold shoulder. Gate City gets more coverage in this paper than all the schools in a 30 mi. radius put together.

Buddy...i think it's like that everywhere lol...i know the Jackson Sun is joke...but hey...they get effort points for tring :thumb:

Yes!

You are correct sir.

You know, I don't remember it being this bad in the past. But you are right. The DB coverage has diminished and for some games is pathetic. It was almost totally missing last weekend. Probably an attempt by the news paper to sell more over the state line.

If anybody wants to lead the revolt by canceling their subscription, speak up. I'd sign on the dotted line if we can come up with 10 or more. That's about all the Times will understand - dollars.

TriCitiesSports.com blows the "Gate City Times News" away anyway. I'll just go online from now on. No more newspapers droped at my front door.

This is my first post, I am typically a reader not a poster, but this is an important issue. I have one child playing at DB and one in college. It is my belief that the Kingsport Times is embarrased by the kids in Kingsport. I realize Kingsport is on the edge of several rural areas and the paper is trying to increase their market, but the Kingsport area kids work hard and they deserve to have their efforts recognized. If, and when the Kingsport Times covers an event it is usually incorrect. I am proud to say We Do Not and Will Not subscribe to this paper until something changes. I am very thankful for Coach T and Tricitiesports.com for the coverage!! B)

I agree w/ fan 360. It's a common thing in West Tennessee w/ the Jackson Sun. But growing up in K-port, I recall the Times was pretty notorius for snubbing the Indians. Don't know if this is the place to put this, but I thought it was news worthy. Steven Moten is having a great season down here in Jackson. He had three interceptions last night against Memphis Raleigh-Egypt. I think he carried half their team on his back the last 10 yards to get us within the 5 yd. line. and setting us up for an easy TD. I know he misses you guys up there and we talk about the great traditions, but selfishly, I am thrilled he's back in Jackson and playing for the Cougars! He and my son are best friends and have played together for years. I'll miss coming up this year to see the Indians play Science Hill ...it's been our open game the past two years, but we'll be battling it out in region play. Good luck next week against the Toppers!

This is my first post, I am typically a reader not a poster, but this is an important issue. I have one child playing at DB and one in college. It is my belief that the Kingsport Times is embarrased by the kids in Kingsport. I realize Kingsport is on the edge of several rural areas and the paper is trying to increase their market, but the Kingsport area kids work hard and they deserve to have their efforts recognized. If, and when the Kingsport Times covers an event it is usually incorrect. I am proud to say We Do Not and Will Not subscribe to this paper until something changes. I am very thankful for Coach T and Tricitiesports.com for the coverage!! B)

I have little doubt that you are correct.

Well, if what WaCoJaCo said is a "yes", I'll boycot (you have to be a current subscriber) then we have 2 besides myself. B)