The Kingsport Times News

WaCoJaCo

Did a little Googling, and it appears the T-N circulation is around 45,000, with almost 20,000 of those going to Kingsport addresses. So it would appear that Kingsport constitutes approximately 45% of its reader base--not quite a majority but close (to be fair, some of the Kpt addresses are undoubtedly in Colonial Heights and are zoned for South, but I don't think that changes the analysis much). As expected, the rest is scattered out over a large area, with the next largest being Church Hill with around 2,700 and Blountville and Gate City with around 2,000 each. This only makes what the T-N is doing even more puzzling, IMO, as those numbers are more weighted toward Kpt than I thought.

Edited by Tribal

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Times-News and the Johnson City Press have the same owners. Since that happened things went down hill fast. Both papers have limited staff writers all to save a buck. The Press is in love with Science Hill so they dominate the coverage, and I dont have a problem with that. The Hill is in JC. The Bristol Herald Courier is all about SW VA. So you really only have one paper (JC Press) that concentrates on NE TN schools. I'm like most of you guys, I think it is a shame that our programs do not get more coverage than they do. Tricitiessports.com is the way to go if you want good coverage.

One thing for sure, what I am hearing from the rest of you folks is what I have been feeling all "Fall". Either we are all biased and are imagining this whole thing or we have all noticed that Times News (TN) has been, perhaps intentionally, ignoring DB's accomplishments. There has been significant drama, players stepping up when called on as QB and other positions, and the TN has basically ignore it. I am glad to know I am not alone in recognizing this.

All they have to do is draw a pie chart. Assign 45% readership to Kpt and an appropriate amount to other local towns and it should be apparent who they need to focus on. Any decent sports writer should have known that Karns was an important game and it was hardly noticed by TN.

Again, the only statement that really could be made would be to drop the whole or weekend paper and tell them why.

There are a lot of people in the area that hate DB and its supporters. Arrogance is the word I keep hearing. I frankly haven't seen that arrogance displayed. (bet someone will post and tell me I'm wrong. If you do, get real specific) In reality, I think it has more to do with jealosy. Is it possible that those in control of the sports desk feel this way? If so, they need what another poster said earlier - fire 'em.

Wow! I'm not a DB fan, but I have also noticed the SW VA coverage. I was just telling my wife this past Saturday. Gotta give it to you Tribe fans here, the coverage has been bad. Kenney is obviously a SW VA guy even though he's from Richmond. You can also tell Kenney likes Golf. The local old guys in plaid get all kinds of coverage. I'm not originally from the Tri-Cities either, but can already see the decline of the Times within my stay here. I too enjoy Ron Bliss and his site better than the Times. In fact, the Tricitiessports.com is now available in paper version. I picked one up at Shoney's in Kingsport today. Get out and get you one today! I also enjoyed articles from former Times writer Jimmy Moore and it's my understanding, Kenney let him go. I do enjoy the Hoople articles from the Times, and I enjoy most of Bill Lane's stuff. Man, without Lane they have very little. Seems that their reporter, Mr. Dixon, has his heart at Sullivan North, but I think that is really o.k. Without Dixon, you wouldn't know there was a Sullivan North from reading the Times. Coach Wampler is doing a good job there even with the whole school closings thing and a large bunch of kids leaving for the city school, and I feel they deserve some press. Sullivan South, which is not in the city but does have a Kingsport address, as a previous poster had aluded to, is having their best season in over a decade also has lacking coverage. They have a sophomore QB that is probably the best college prospect in East Tennessee.

I also agree with the mistakes in the articles. Seems the "official" yardages and game stats are always different in the Times than the other papers and websites. I did see that the Times had a true Kingsport article Wednesday on Sevier Middle winning the "middle school crown". Meaning no disrespect from on the kids, the facts are a bit fuzzy with this one. Even though neither Sevier, nor Robinson even made the actual middle school playoffs, that game should be covered every year since it is the Kingsport middle school's "city title" game and the Times is supposed to be a city paper.

As far as the whole gas and travel excuse goes, I refer you to the Elizabethton Star. Now I'm not nessasarily a proponent of their paper and I do not agree or disagree with their opinions, but heck, they do cover their area's games. In fact weekly, the Star has articles on not only local varsity high school football games, but they have detailed articles with photos on JV, Freshman, and Middle School Games. Even Bliss' site ignores the underclassmen and top area middle schools. Even though the articles are weighted heavily toward the home teams with the Star, no one else covers those level games.

Can I join with WaCo and the maroon and grey just this one time? I'm in for cancelling my subscription. :angry:

Folks newspapers are going belly up all over the world. The internet is making them as dated as dinosaurs.

The ONLY thing newspapers understand is dollars! By this I mean the serious dollars from advertising and NOT subscriptions. If you really want to get their attention it is by talking to the advertisers and having them call the paper and put their foot down and letting the paper know they need to add more coverage of the team you want or the advertisers will pull their ad dollars.

This WILL get the papers attention.

That is an idea that makes since. Who are the major advertisers for times News?

Easy to find out. Buy a paper and see who has the half and full page ads. Usually it is the real estate folks and the car dealers. If they balk at calling the paper then remind them as a potential purchser of their services or products you voice your support of someone or buisness with YOUR dollars. Also gently remind them of exactly how many kids go to the school you want support for and how many parents that spend the big bucks are there.

First thing I learned as a dectective is 'follow the money'!

Folks newspapers are going belly up all over the world. The internet is making them as dated as dinosaurs.

The ONLY thing newspapers understand is dollars! By this I mean the serious dollars from advertising and NOT subscriptions. If you really want to get their attention it is by talking to the advertisers and having them call the paper and put their foot down and letting the paper know they need to add more coverage of the team you want or the advertisers will pull their ad dollars.

This WILL get the papers attention.

Very true! And a very good idea. I don't guess they would let us list the advertisers TN uses on the Sports pages here on Mr. T. Perhaps if everyone chose the largest ad in the sports section on this coming Saturday's paper and called the company that put it in the paper? Of course they would have to hear from several.

Very true! And a very good idea. I don't guess they would let us list the advertisers TN uses on the Sports pages here on Mr. T. Perhaps if everyone chose the largest ad in the sports section on this coming Saturday's paper and called the company that put it in the paper? Of course they would have to hear from several.

Don't concentrate on the sports section. Find the two or three biggest advertisers period. For instance most papers know that it is the MEN that mainly shop and read the sports page. To be sucessful you are gonna have to get the 'ladies' involved.

Also let them know about CoachT and how they are being viewed here and that the ones that are supporting you are being talked about in a positive way. Then follow thru and if Joe Car dealer is supporting you let folks know. Also compare the ones that advertise in the paper and the football program. They are predesposed to help you already.

when i looked in the Citizen Tribune (lakeway area) on Friday..there was no article about morristown east or west...they had stuff about rutledge and JC though....and West is #4 in the state!..East TN papers are horrible....Except for maybe prep extra

Thanks for pointing out how stupid you are!

On the front page...there is a preview for East and for West...no mention of Rutledge or Jefferson County.

Probably because Rutledge and Jefferson County's previews run on...THURSDAY!!!