Quality Of Officiating

dlm37015

What is your opinion of the high school football officiating this year? There seems to be some doubt of the fairness. For instance, Antioch vs McGavock game the officials had left the field with 3.2 seconds left to play - the game was decided in those 3.2 seconds but didn't count because there was no officials on the field. While we know there are a few questionable calls during every game, it seems this year the refs bring their personal preferences into the game instead of having an unbiased opinion - just there to call a fair game!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JMO, but the officiating for all sports in Tennessee continues to get worse rather than better. In the 1950's, 60's & 70's you often had professional men (physicians, businessmen, attorney's, etc...) that had played at the college and professional level officiating games because they loved the game. These men had not only played sports at a high level but they were also well educated and brought with them a great deal of respect from the fans, coaches and players. What I see today is officials that never played in college (some never played in high school) and they call a JV game on Monday, Freshmen game on Thursday, Varsity game on Friday, and the Pee Wee games all day Saturday. These people are making their living officiating amateur sports. This would be great if they really understood the sport and were well trained but most of the time they have never been to any camps/clinics other than what the TSSAA requires and their mechanics are terrible because they learned from other bad officials. The TSSAA needs to do a better job of attracting the type of officials that they once had and then train them in the proper mechanics of officiating.

Tennessee High School officiating is one of the last occupations in the world that has to answer to no one. So what if they miss a call, there's no discipline for them if they don't. College officials are graded on each week's performance and if there's a problem, there are consequences, but not for TN high school officials.

It seems as though this problem is state wide. I attended a game where 5 TD's were called back and unfortunately, cost the team a win. Another time this same team suffered 37 penalities in one game. It is tough when the kids have to win against the refs and play the game also. In some instances, the refs are trying to coach the kids. Somehow, something has to be done. Any suggestions?

I went to the South-Doyle vs. Lenoir City game last friday. WORST officiating I ever witnessed. LC tackled the SD RB 5 yrds out of bounds. Personal foul for a Late hit right? They threw a flag on the South-Doyle RB???? There's plenty other examples but I'd be wasting more time. I know nothing will happen except players getting injured and the refs turning their heads. Its a shame.

I went to the South-Doyle vs. Lenoir City game last friday. WORST officiating I ever witnessed. LC tackled the SD RB 5 yrds out of bounds. Personal foul for a Late hit right? They threw a flag on the South-Doyle RB???? There's plenty other examples but I'd be wasting more time. I know nothing will happen except players getting injured and the refs turning their heads. Its a shame.

For all you officiating experts there is plenty of time to register for next season.Contact the TSSAA @ tssaa.org

Even if a hundred refs sign up tomorrow. There is still no accountability for the incompetence of the refs. We need some form of accountability. Not all refs are incompetent. I feel most try to do a good job. It is the 20 percent who for some reason or another don't seem to have a handle on it. I know this is a touch job and not all calls are made or agreed upon, but when it apppears the game is being thrown one way - it is ashame.

Even if a hundred refs sign up tomorrow. There is still no accountability for the incompetence of the refs. We need some form of accountability. Not all refs are incompetent. I feel most try to do a good job. It is the 20 percent who for some reason or another don't seem to have a handle on it. I know this is a touch job and not all calls are made or agreed upon, but when it apppears the game is being thrown one way - it is ashame.

What most people don't understand is that ref's put more time into a game than the average so called fan that just pays there $ 5.00 and complains about what the coach is calling or every call that goes the other way. What do they do when the other teams get flagged. You never hear them fussing then. Most ref's know the coaches.. The ones that have been in the game for a while and they talk during the games. Watch this or watch that the coachs say and the ref's try and watch that area. I don't believe that ref's make phantom calls. It's alot harder that just getting a coke and popcorn and gripping all night.. Put on the stripes on any Friday night and be a real part of the game and maybe you will enjoy the Football game alot more.

Edited by tricklician