Powell Vs Clinton

Phsbaseball13

This is by no means pointing the finger at any specific individual. Just some general questions.

Do you think that inappropriate behavior should be ignored if an individual is a gifted athlete?

Should athletes be held to a higher or lower standard?

Should gifted athletes not be held accountabl for their off field behavior in an effort to win games?

I agree that critizing specific players in this forum is in bad taste. But on the other hand we shouldn't excuse an individual just becuase he is a gifted athlete.

I'm not sure who you are asking, bigcatt2, but i'd be more than happy to answer.

No, I don't believe that inappropriate behavior should be ignored. I do believe that athletes, once they are playing for a scholarhip or for pay, should be held to a higher standard. Yes, gifted athletes should be held accountable for their off the field behavior.

That said, we are talking about high school kids - minors - on this forum. All we have are rumors. There are no specifics, and nobody here knows what kind of punishment may or may not have been doled out already for whatever "transgressions" may or may not have been committed.

In short, if there are issues with any high school athlete or non-athlete of high school age it is the parents who are responsible for punishment, unless something happened at school or on an official school function on or off campus. In that case the legal process has to be followed. None of the rumors point to anything like that.

Like I said before, i'm not saying that all of the kids at Powell are angels, but just like at any other school unless it is a crime against another person that requires legal action by authorities, what does or doesn't happen from a discipline standpoint simply isn't a subject that needs to be discussed here.

And for the record, I would be just as defensive about it were it any other high school in any other area.

Edited by HTV

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a true educated football fan, not one who enjoys critizing individual players and their families, Coach Smith and Lee are very happy at Powell. Lee is a tremendously gifted athlete as evidenced by his ranking as the fifth Tight End in the country, Sports Illustrated and Reebok All-Americans, invited to play in two All-American games. Because of his talent he has been offered scholarships at the University of Tennessee, Virginia Tech, Alabama, and Louisville among others. Fans of high school sports should be more supportive and spread such negative gossip!

If he is really that good, then the entire coaching staff at Powell should be fired. I saw him play at Central and they threw the ball to him like only three times (two of which he dropped). If they have someone that is that good on playing for them, they need to at least attempt to get the ball to him.

If he is really that good, then the entire coaching staff at Powell should be fired. I saw him play at Central and they threw the ball to him like only three times (two of which he dropped). If they have someone that is that good on playing for them, they need to at least attempt to get the ball to him.

I agree I think he is a over rated player. The colleges like him becuase he is 6 somthing and wieghs about 250-260. Dont get me wrong when he wants to, he can be a monster. He just doesn't like to give his best ever down.... or even a couple of downs.

Your right about getting the ball to him, but every one has got him in their sights for a big hit... so they might just be protecting him for Ut. :thumb:

Also the coaches need to clean up this rummer mess, they need to teach more discipline than that.

Edited by rebelman16

He has size with good speed. He had at least one drop against Halls, but I think he blocked really well as an extra back in motion on thier runs. Is he being recruited for defense or o line or defense? If it is for tight end he will need to work on route running and hands IMO. All that said, he is a great talent just with his size and speed. I think colleges beleive that they can work with that. Kind of reminds me of John Henderson that played tight end and def. end for Pearl Cohn a few years back.

Good luck to smith in the future.

I know that he has potntial to put on some weight. I would be willing to bet that they bulk him up and make him a tackle. If he does this he could play on sundays. He is athletic for a tackle, he is slow for a TE, and there is no way he can play defense in the SEC. He is alot like the kid from Clinton who went to UT in the 80's.

I know that he has potntial to put on some weight. I would be willing to bet that they bulk him up and make him a tackle. If he does this he could play on sundays. He is athletic for a tackle, he is slow for a TE, and there is no way he can play defense in the SEC. He is alot like the kid from Clinton who went to UT in the 80's.

Smith has great upside potential and is definetly built for it. He looks like a mountain man among kids. Unfortunately, he seems to have trouble catching the ball when moving lateral.(Halls game). He pretty much controlled his side on the run. He looks really good on defense. Mumblings from some of the locals feel he might be overhyped as a TE. I don't know about that. But putting him up against Maryville's Aaron Douglas in that position, Douglas looks like he runs his routes smoother and gets better seperation from LB'S & DB'S. Seems like he has softer hands too. So I agree with most of the posters, his calling on saturday may be on the defensive side of the ball over TE. But who knows constant practice with passing drills can turn that around. Most programs can mold a person with his size advantage.

Charles McRae is the player from Clinton that you are thinking of. He started off at UT as a defensive tackle and really struggled. He moved to offensive tackle and became a first round draft pick of the Tampa Bay Bucs.

Edited by HTV