TN High @ Hamblen West

randy3116

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's be honest about these two teams. Neither one has played anybody this year to have a good understanding of how good they are. TN High played Dobyns-Bennett and it was ugly (oh yeah Science Hill) and that is it!! Morr. West had it's toughest game with Knox West and had to go into overtime to win 41-38. Knox West is a lot better than their record and play in a very tough region but still? These two regions are terrible. This is not their fault but, they need to schedule better non-conference teams to test themeselves.

Morristown West's region is a little better than Tn High's so...

Morristown West by 10. In the long run they still have to go through Knoxville or Maryville so enjoy it now.

Let's be honest about these two teams. Neither one has played anybody this year to have a good understanding of how good they are. TN High played Dobyns-Bennett and it was ugly (oh yeah Science Hill) and that is it!! Morr. West had it's toughest game with Knox West and had to go into overtime to win 41-38. Knox West is a lot better than their record and play in a very tough region but still? These two regions are terrible. This is not their fault but, they need to schedule better non-conference teams to test themeselves.

Morristown West by 10. In the long run they still have to go through Knoxville or Maryville so enjoy it now.

The fact regarding Region 1 and 2 is that there are five 3-A schools that are playing on the 4-A level (Elizabethton, Johnson County, Sullivan North, Unicoi County, and Greeneville) simply because of prohibitive travel expenses if they remained on the 3-A level. Good, bad, or indifferent that's just the way it is. Granted that Elizabethton and Greeneville have had success on the 4-A level before but the fact remains that none of these schools are in the playoffs at this point (for this year, at least).

As to non-conference teams, I have made the same observation regarding West. Although I respect them greatly and think they have one of the classiest programs around (including their fans), Swain Co. (NC) is a 1-A program that does not need to be on West's schedule. Rather than including other 4A schools, however, I would prefer adding some quality 5-A programs such as D-B, Science Hill, Sevier Co., Wm. Blount, Farragut, etc. (hopefully, Jefferson Co. can be added to that list again). A 10-0 record is very nice to have but I would rather risk a possible loss(es) to gain valuable experience of having played a good team(s). As a matter of fact, if the Hamblen Co. student population continues to increase as believed, both West and East may soon be 5-A schools anyway.

And I wouldn't discount Red Bank so quickly, either.

quik facts:

1. TN has been in playoffs for 6 straight years; overall record is 15-13

2. this Friday will mark the 5th time TN has played West in those 6 years

3. overall, TN is averaging 21.3 ppg while allowing 13.5; median score is 21-10

4. in the last 5 games, TN is averaging 26.6 ppg while allowing 9.4; median score is 27-10

5. West has been in the playoffs for 9 straight years; overall record is 16-12

6. overall, West is averaging 37.1 ppg while allowing 12.9; median score is 38-14

7. in the last 5 games, West is averaging 39.6 ppg while allowing 8.2; median score is 41-8

8. common opponents in 2005 are Cherokee and Johnson County

9. TN-13 Johnson Co.-6; TN-35 Cherokee-12

10. West-41 Johnson Co.-14; West-30 Cherokee-8

11. this year, TN has scored 30 points or less in 8 of 11 games

12. defensively, TN has held opponents to 18 points or less in 8 of 11 games

13. West has scored 30 points or less in 2 of 11 games this year

14. defensively, West has held opponents to 18 points or less in 9 of 11 games

Great Stats and post!

:thumb:

What's so hard to understand? I see the winner of this game most likely winning their quarterfinal matchup and then either Knox Central or Maryville will come up and beat them quite easily.

I wish Tennessee didn't have to play some of the teams in the conference, but they try to make up for it by scheduling DB and Science Hill. Playing at DB is as tough as it gets around here.

If there wasn't as many teams in the conference, I would love for Tennessee to play these non conference teams every year in the regular season:

DB

Morristown West

Science Hill (If their Coaches could make better use of their players)

Region 3 4A, Region 2 5A (Any team from these two Regions willing to play)

That would require us to have a 6 team conference.

TN High is 8-5 with 5 wins in a row and average about 25 points a game while yielding 14 per contest. They have not had an impressive season by recent standards but have kids who got close last year to the dream of playing of a state championship. If they can limit MoreWest's running game and keep it close late they have a chance.

Not that every one has caught it, but THS is 8-3...they've got 3 losses posted in their schedule to Science Hill I think...

beat them easily? just because tn high got sh*t on last year by maryville in the playoffs dont mean it will happen to everyone. last time i checked, in recent years, maryville has never beat morristown west that bad in playoff games, i think the worse one was like 23 to 7 at mo west a while back.

They won't have to beat anyone 49-0 for it to be easy. I think it will be a big task to go in there and run it up the middle against that defense..or to the side. Last time I checked, most of this year's seniors were in middle school when that 2001 game took place so it holds no bearing at all.

Just my opinion :(

i was in 8th grade that game, then freshman year they beat us like 24 to 14 or something, then when i was a sophmore(and i started right tackle so i can say something on this game) we beat them. so everytime we've played them in the playoffs i've been here its been a close game. so even if you exclude my 8th grade year the other two hold plenty.

The only teams that Tennessee High has had a high degree of trouble with, excluding Dobyns Bennett, are teams that have a very good passing game. My understanding is that MoWest has NO passing game. If this is the case then I feel very good about the game Friday night.

This Tennessee High team has played progressively better and they are night and day difference between now and the DB game. Tenn. has a two edged sword with their passing and running at this point in the season. We have one of the best receivers in the state of Tennessee that no one knows about, but MoWest will see his moves come Friday. I know for a fact that no one has seen anyone of his calibre this entire year. His name is Deshaud Johnson (unsure of the spelling), either way everyone will know his name come Friday about 10:00 when he has juked kids out of their cleats.

I know everyone whines about the officiating, but this is a substantiated case and anyone on either side of the field would say the same thing about last week's game. What I am referring to is 4, yes 4, touchdowns called back on extremely questionable calls that were away from the play and had no bearing on the touchdown. If even two of these flags were kept in the pockets of these idiotic men, the score would have gotten very ugly. This does not bear too well on MoWest's showing against Cherokee if using head to head match ups as a measuring tool.

One final note, before the season began, Tenn high scrimmaged Daniel Boone. Even with all of the inexperience on the Viking squad, they still handed it to Daniel Boone. Since then, this team has improved immensely. You have to remember that last year's 13-1 team was mostly seniors, so these kids are just now playing together well as a team. Having said that, my point is that Daniel Boone was beating Morristown West at halftime, at least that is my understanding and please correct me if I am wrong. But stupid mistakes by coaches and players by Daniel Boone gave the game away to MoWest.

Conclusion:

Morristown West's 11-0 record is extremely misleading as they have played in a weaker conference than Tenn. high (usually the other way around though). Also, Tenn. High has played 3 tough opponents who have prepared them for battle, whereas MoWest toughest game was a weaker Knox West team.

Tenn High 31

MoWest 17