Ooltewah @ farragut

denlron

I have a couple of questions for the board regarding the Farragut vs. Ooltewah game.

The first question is: why does it seem that so many from all over the state are so quick to discount Farragut's chances in this game? It seems that folks from Kingsport, to Cookville, to Powell, to Ravenwood, to Oak Ridge, to wherever just automatically assume that Farragut's first win over Ooltewah was nothing but a total fluke and had nothing to do with Farragut being a pretty doggone good team, and that Ooltewah will automatically win the rematch. I just can't really understand the level of disregard that Farragut seems to be getting.

The second question is: why does it seem that so many from all over the state (most of the places that I already mentioned) always seem to want to wish Farragut's oppenent luck, and root for them? Why is it that no one ever seems to want Farragut to win or wish Farragut good luck? Why does it appear that Farragut is so disliked by so many? I mean, it's not like Farragut has been a team like Riverdale that has dominated so much lately that folks would sort of automatically root against them, so what gives?

Just curious.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a couple of questions for the board regarding the Farragut vs. Ooltewah game.

The first question is: why does it seem that so many from all over the state are so quick to discount Farragut's chances in this game? It seems that folks from Kingsport, to Cookville, to Powell, to Ravenwood, to Oak Ridge, to wherever just automatically assume that Farragut's first win over Ooltewah was nothing but a total fluke and had nothing to do with Farragut being a pretty doggone good team, and that Ooltewah will automatically win the rematch. I just can't really understand the level of disregard that Farragut seems to be getting.

The second question is: why does it seem that so many from all over the state (most of the places that I already mentioned) always seem to want to wish Farragut's oppenent luck, and root for them? Why is it that no one ever seems to want Farragut to win or wish Farragut good luck? Why does it appear that Farragut is so disliked by so many? I mean, it's not like Farragut has been a team like Riverdale that has dominated so much lately that folks would sort of automatically root against them, so what gives?

Just curious.

Ad I didn't go to first Owl Farragut game but have seen owls 6 or 7 times this year just going by the 7 or 8 turnovers that owls made most very costly on thier side of field and thinking after watching team get confidence last 3 weeks those won't happen again. Watching Owl Defense shut down DB (cept for last 5 min) heh . The Owl Farragut 1 game was MUCH closer than the score as far as stats (and I know score is all that matters) But I stand by my statement that when they don't shoot thierself in foot with TO's or penalties they are by long ways the best all around (not best rushing not best passing) but best balanced offense in the state. Just think rematch will be a different game. But, Doesn't mean I don't think Farragut has a great team this year.

Ad I didn't go to first Owl Farragut game but have seen owls 6 or 7 times this year just going by the 7 or 8 turnovers that owls made most very costly on thier side of field and thinking after watching team get confidence last 3 weeks those won't happen again. Watching Owl Defense shut down DB (cept for last 5 min) heh . The Owl Farragut 1 game was MUCH closer than the score as far as stats (and I know score is all that matters) But I stand by my statement that when they don't shoot thierself in foot with TO's or penalties they are by long ways the best all around (not best rushing not best passing) but best balanced offense in the state. Just think rematch will be a different game. But, Doesn't mean I don't think Farragut has a great team this year.

What about part two of my question? Why does it seem that everyone likes to root against Farragut? Just look at the responses in this thread from the DB folks and the Cookville folks as examples. You can also find Farragut haters butting into other FHS threads like last weeks Bearden game thread. It just seems like for some reason, people like to see Farragut lose. Any thoughts or reasons for this?

What about part two of my question? Why does it seem that everyone likes to root against Farragut? Just look at the responses in this thread from the DB folks and the Cookville folks as examples. You can also find Farragut haters butting into other FHS threads like last weeks Bearden game thread. It just seems like for some reason, people like to see Farragut lose. Any thoughts or reasons for this?

i dont think it is that they are trying to root against farragut, its just that the ooltewah, cookeville, and db fans(since their first matchup last year) all of have a lot of respect for each other and have sort have to come to be friends and root for each other as they are playing, if you look on the cookeville threads you will see ooltewah people saying go cavs and the such, if you look at anyone threads from chattanooga you will see everyone on there saying how they want ooltewah to lose b/c everyone in chatt town hates them, so you guys aren't the only ones like that...and i suppose the reason people think the owls will win this rematch is how they have played in the 3 weeks since that first game(the owls have beaten two teams that were ranked #2 in the state at the time) and if you look at last week's ap poll, if ooltewah wins this week, they will have beaten the #2, 3, 4, and 5 teams in the state, wow

Edited by mnewballer21

I think Part of that is Owls have beat Cookeville and DB and DB is pulling for Owls to make them look better and Cookeville is pulling for Owls cause the respect them and want a rematch.

A couple of reasons come to mind regarding the so called "farragut haters."

1. Farragut players tend to talk very trashy about upcoming opponents both on Coach T and in the local press. People have called OR cocky, but I don't believe you will see any player mentioned in any local paper talking how bad they are going to beat, or even beat an opponent.

2. Several Farragut posters have a pretty bad post about opponents. It is rare that you see some of the Farragut posters ever have anything nice to say about opponents in their region. Now, not all of the posters, but the ones who really like to dig. All schools have them.

Oak Ridge has to play one of these teams. Obviously they would rather play Ootlewah as they would like a rematch over their loss. Farragut players went out of their way to talk down OR prior to their match and they did not even score.

Farragut has a top notch program with top notch players and coaches. But until they starting treating others with the respect they want, it will not happen.

Just my opinion, and like other things, everbody has one. :thumb:

Haha FHS Ad, the Owl fans are used to hearing about us being rooted against... join the club... and BBIsBest, I retract my statement.. nearly flawless might've been an overstatement, however, in the past few weeks, they've seemed to step up when it really matters, whether it be the second half or overtime, they've found a way to get the job done. This team has a lot of powerful weapons in all aspects of the game.... its whether or not they decide to apply those abilities is up to them.

Haha FHS Ad, the Owl fans are used to hearing about us being rooted against... join the club... and BBIsBest, I retract my statement.. nearly flawless might've been an overstatement, however, in the past few weeks, they've seemed to step up when it really matters, whether it be the second half or overtime, they've found a way to get the job done. This team has a lot of powerful weapons in all aspects of the game.... its whether or not they decide to apply those abilities is up to them.

I agree that Ooltewah has stepped it up a notch since the Farragut game. However, I find Farragut to be the kind of team that gives the Owls fits, and in spite of the many weapons they have, they tend to make mistakes. Farragut is too good of a football team to make many mistakes and still win. I appreciate all the hoopla over Ooltewah football, but I believe the Farragut fans have just as much to be excited about.

In the end everyone has to the opportunity to make a choice as to which one will win, but anyone who is being realistic has to agree that either of these teams could win. I was just trying to sure that everyone was being careful.

Checking you on flawless was just a way to bring objectivity to the statements being made. After all: Ooltewah had to hold on to a hard charging Cookeville team who played to the end when the Owls seemed to lose steam; because the Owls failed to really play football for 1 1/2 quarters against William Blount they were unable to overcome the 14 point hole they dug for themselves -- Ooltewah was a team who didn't seem to really want to win until the second half of the WB game; in the first game against Farragut, the Owls lost their composure and turned the ball over 7 times and committed several personal fouls, and had a terrible kicking game, while Farragut wanted it and took it to them; against Oak Ridge, Ooltewah was very fortunate -- they surprised the Cats, and I don't think they are going to come back against them again, if they get the chance, in the Soddy game they played big play football, but were susceptible to the pass, looking quite average at times in this game; and finally, against Dobyns Bennett, they backed off their game plan in the last five minutes and almost blew a two touchdown lead and the game in just five minutes. They cannot afford that again this Friday.

These two teams remind me a lot of the Colts and Patriots. With Ooltewah being the Colts and Farragut being the Pats. Every time they play Ooltewah has a distinct advantage on paper with there highpowered offence. However Farragut has all the intangibles much like the Patriots. Farragut just has had Ooltewah's # over the past few years, but hopfully that will change Friday. Good news, Colts won last night!

These two teams remind me a lot of the Colts and Patriots. With Ooltewah being the Colts and Farragut being the Pats. Every time they play Ooltewah has a distinct advantage on paper with there highpowered offence. However Farragut has all the intangibles much like the Patriots. Farragut just has had Ooltewah's # over the past few years, but hopfully that will change Friday. Good news, Colts won last night!

All the Admirals have to do is win to get the respect the feel they are due. :thumb:

Yes, Farragut has beaten the Owls twice since this region was re-aligned, last season and earlier this year. Both losses have really stuck in the crawl of the players on this team. I don't think they feel they have given their best effort in either of those games. I think they will get the "Monkey" off their back friday much like Peyton did last night. GO OWLS!