Cheatham Co. at David Lipscomb

Guest catfish-hunter

What a great game. It is so much more fun to have a game in doubt in the fourth quarter than it is to be up four touchdowns in the first quarter (week 1 of playoffs). Cheatham Co. is such an outstanding opponent. Well coached and athletic. Defense was special. Games like this are what high school football is supposed to be about. Hope the quarterback was not hurt too badly on that last play.

Congratulations to Cheatham Co. on a great year. You are definitely the best team we have played so far this year. Your senior class were great leaders for four years. We look forward to a road-trip up to Ashland City next year.

Edited by titanman

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, and I havent seen these Cubs. So I am biased. But I played agianst the 1994 Cubs, I was on the field 4 qaurters on both sides of the ball, we was supposed to blow them out. We had them 13-6 going in to half time, when they came back out, they punched a few of our players in the grill and they laid down. They might have lost the next game but the beat a Lexington team that was a beast.

If you were on the field, you should remember that Cheatham County won the Game 48 - 20. Lexington was leading 20 - 0 as time ran down in the 2d quarter and Gerard Arnold (Former UM Tiger and Wash Redskin) was stripped of the ball and a linebacker scored to make it 20 - 8 after the two point conversion. Cheatham Co. and Jeremiah Ligon rolled off 40 more unanswered points to win 48 - 20.

If you were on the field, you should remember that Cheatham County won the Game 48 - 20. Lexington was leading 20 - 0 as time ran down in the 2d quarter and Gerard Arnold (Former UM Tiger and Wash Redskin) was stripped of the ball and a linebacker scored to make it 20 - 8 after the two point conversion. Cheatham Co. and Jeremiah Ligon rolled off 40 more unanswered points to win 48 - 20.

I corrected my self, check my next post. And the score was 13-6 at the half, Ligon had 268 yards and 5 touchdowns.Gerald had 144 rushing yards and 30 recieving.

Guest catfish-hunter

And by the way Catfishhunter, had you read and comprehended my post on the proper way to run out the clock in the Lexingtion-Creekwood game you would have seen that I said the QB could run out the clock with 6 seconds or less left, not 20 as you alleged.

Also, no one attempts to get a FG attempt blocked, but it happens, often in HS. One way to guarantee a kick not being blocked is, DON"T ATTEMPT A KICK.

Intellectual josting is not advised when I have a lance, and you a butterknife.

Or................do I????

If you kneel it three times or if you run it three times the SAME AMOUNT OF TIME WILL RUN OFF THE CLOCK!!!! There would be around 20 seconds remaining because the officials at Lexington would be quick to avoid costing them time. 1:48 seconds would not run down to six if they had a TO left in their back pocket. After the first kneel down there'd be around 1:45 to go. Are you telling me that two run plays will last 1:40 seconds?????? I thought you were smarter than that old man but guess not, "or do I"????? <_<:)

1:45 seconds to go and two plays later there'd be somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 seconds left, not 6 genius. This isn't the NFL. The play clock is not 40 seconds. Having your quarterback runb around on 4th down is stupid because you are giving away a score and giving them the ball with the same amount of time left as you would if you'd take the easy 3 and make it a TD game instead of keeping it to where they'd tie the ballgame with a FG.

BTW Capt. Truth, OldSkyhawk is NOT who you think it is. If you believe otherwise than it would be you who does not know the truth :D

Guest catfish-hunter

With all the great players that those Cubs had back in the day Capt. Truth it sounds like the expectations weren't quite met. I mean to have 4 college football players, 2 Mr. Football Finalists, and all of those all-state athletes I'd think the second round of the playoffs would be somewhere they'd be able to get fairly easily. At least they could have been good enough one of those four years to host a playoff game.

That is something that Harpeth, Sycamore, and these Cubs have all done since back then. Maybe they were all overachievers <_<

Guest catfish-hunter

I'm not saying that they weren't good from '94-'97 because they were. HOWEVER, one year they snuck in as a #4 seed and lost in the opening round. Another year they did not even make the playoffs. The two other years they were a 2nd round team, but if they were truly as good as you make them out to be at least you guys could have hosted one of those two years in the opening round.

The best you could manage was 9-3 & 8-4 those two years. These bunch of Cubs did that the past two years and had an 8-3 year three years ago to go with 'em.

I AM THROUGH WITH THIS ARGUMENT AND MOVING ON TO A NEW ONE!!!!

Sycamore went 11-2 and actually hosted in '01. I'll bet any amount of money you want that we would have lined up and beat the '94-'95 Cubs. We certainly would not have outran you guys that's a fact but what we would have done is lined up and bloodied your noses for four quarters. Ligon was a talented player no doubt about it but he wouldn't have been the first talented back to get his @$$ shutdown by our defense. Offensively we wouldn't have broken any 50+ yard runs vs those Cubs but did we ever????? What we would have done is lined up and ran our two 1,000 yard backs right at yall until you broke.

Now I know that to that post you will probably say something along the lines of "Sycamore was only 3A too". We were a 3A team that BEAT the Region 6-4A Champs (White House) at their place 13-12. We were a team that beat what was the #1 ranked team in the state by a score of 38-7. We were a team that can actually say we beat Harpeth in their hayday (those years would be from '97-'01). Cheatham beat a 4-7 Harpeth team in '96 and the next time they beat Harpeth was when they beat a 5-6 Harpeth team in '03. Finally, we gave the fans in this county something to cheer for because we actually hosted a playoff game for what was the first time on this side of the river and won it.

You guys had all-state players. We had all-state players. You guys had fast explosive backs. We had big physical backs. You guys had a tough physcial defense. We had a tough physical defense. HOWEVER, we beat the team that won the region that you keep crying to me about that was so darn good.

I CHALLENGE YOU TO SAY THAT THE CUBS OF '94-'95 WOULD HAVE BEATEN THE '01 SYCAMORE WAR EAGLES. YOU GUYS WERE GOOD BUT WERE YOU THE BEST TEAM THAT THIS COUNTY HAS EVER SEEN??????????

Guest catfish-hunter

Damien Dotson was the wide reciever from Memphis Westwood, who incedently, had both mr football back and lineman that year.

I thought Cheatham County would finish right where they did, behind DL and Creekwood. Page was in turmoil as was Marshall County, Giles came on at the end but the Cubs got them early. Beating Liberty was not so impressive considiring that that region is ALWAYS poorly coached, Southside being the worst of the lot.

You just said it yourself now that I re-read the post. Cheatham did beat a Liberty team that wasn't well-coached. HOWEVER, the '94-'95 Cubs beat Lexington and Hardin Co. in the playoffs both years they won playoff games. Neither of those teams are well-coached either. Westwood had players but even they weren't well-coached. With those great players the least they could have done was got to the semifinals once, but they didn't. "Or did they"??????

Nope they didn't because in '94 Haywood beat BA & Cleveland beat Cherokee in the semifinals. Cleveland beat Haywood in the title game and wouldn't you know it they did it again one year later. Westwood is nowhere to be found.

At least last year's Cubs lost to the defending champs and the state runner up last year in Huntingdon and this year they lost to a team that may very well win it all in Lipscomb.

Your big wins were vs poorly coached teams. WOW!!!!

That's an accomplishment, "or is it"???? No sir it certainly isn't because talent means nothing when there's no coaching to lead it in the right direction <_<

Edited by catfish-hunter

Guest catfish-hunter

I angered you. OR.................did I?

Cheatham teams, any of 3, would have crushed your little Sycamore team. You were fat and slow, and especially at certain O-line positions, not real smart :D

You would have gotten crushed by Sycamore is what you meant to say oldtimer :blink:

Our offensive line would have whipped those boys up front and our two backs would have ran all over those great athletes. WHY???? Those guys were underachievers both on the field as well as in life. When the going got tough your boy Ligon would have eventually quit on you because the beating that he would have received from our defense would have scared him to death.

Your boy West would have loved tackling Jordon and Ray for 4 quarters :thumb: Let's just say that 3-4 yard runs would have eventually became 10-12 yard runs because that Cubs defense would have worn down.

Guest catfish-hunter

You are still angered?............or are you????????????

Nice conjecture on your part, but at the time when Cheatham was at there heyday, you were still huggin mamas leg in the stands litte boy. No contest, no use to argue, ask someone who really knew both teams well. And my little radio yakking friend, that is not you. Any "old timer" who know, will tell you. No contest. Actually it was the 95 team that was the best, but the 94 team could have handled you kids quite easily. Little different playing Brentwood Academy, Father Ryan, etc..... than Harpeth and Kenwood.

Or is it??????????????

We would have beaten you, end of story. White House won Region 6-4A (the region you claim to be so great) in 2001 and we went to their place and beat 'em 13-12. You see there oldtimer we beat the team that won that region while you were lucky to even be a playoff team in that region.

Way to beat such well coached teams as Hardin Co. and Lexington. Everytime you played a team that was well coached back then they gave it to you (i.e. Brentwood Academy & Father Ryan). You lost to a Westwood team that never got to the semis and we lost to a Crockett Co. bunch with two Mr. Football Backs in Pitts and Williams (not to mention Stitts) and a Mr. Football Lineman in Love.

Way to be a 2nd round playoff team with that much talent. Boy you sure do scare me with that kind of accomplishment. You see I actually know what it felt like to play after the second round of the playoffs while not a single person on your little 2nd Rd. bunch does. Too Bad :thumb::angry:

"Or is it"????????