Cheatham Co. at David Lipscomb

Guest catfish-hunter

Guest catfish-hunter

Region 5-3A teams were 3-1 last night, the opening round of the playoffs, and two of those three will play next week in the second round of the playoffs for the second time this year. David Lipscomb (10-1 overall) won the Region 5-3A title during the regular season and on their way to earning that title they beat Cheatham Co. (9-2 overall) by a 30-7 count back in week four of the regular season. In that game field position and turnovers played a key role as Lipscomb raced out to a quick lead and never looked back. Both teams have changed dramatically, both for the better, since that September 17th matchup so week four for both teams has no bearing on what happens this time around.

I for one expect this game to be a real defensive battle. Lipscomb has a defense that has not allowed many yards or points at all over the course of this season. They are led by all-state linebacker Braden Binkley, who is simply a beast on that side of the football. The Cubs also have an oustanding defense as Liberty found out last night. They are led by all-region linebacker Clint Casteel, who finished the regular season with 125 tackles and added 17 more to that total last night. Offensively expect both teams to really grind it out. Lipscomb is led on offense by Matt Elrod, who has rushed for more than 1,000 yards and 28TD's this year. Cheatham Co. counters with their duo of Landon Jones and Brad Potts, who together have rushed for 1,800+ yards and 18TD's (each with 9TD's) on the year.

What do you all see happening in this one?????????????

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

played against lipscomb

watched film on the cheatham county lipscomb game

THE ONLY WAY that cheatham can win is that they must slow down

the very well coached running game of lipscomb

lipscomb is not used to passing but can be very deadly if they have to

If cheatham can stop lipscombs run game (unlikely) and force them to pass they could get some very key turnovers that will lead them to a win

im not suprised if cheatham wins but

lipscomb 21

cheatham 14

Guest catfish-hunter

played against lipscomb

watched film on the cheatham county lipscomb game

THE ONLY WAY that cheatham can win is that they must slow down

the very well coached running game of lipscomb

lipscomb is not used to passing but can be very deadly if they have to

If cheatham can stop lipscombs run game (unlikely) and force them to pass they could get some very key turnovers that will lead them to a win

im not suprised if cheatham wins but

lipscomb 21

cheatham 14

Hey playintowin, if you played against David Lipscomb and saw the film of our first matchup with DL then I'm guessing that you play for Goodpasture. Is that correct????

If so, then congrats on your win last night vs Riverside and good luck next week vs Ezell :thumb:

COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAME THAN LAST TIME! The coaching staff at Cheatham Co. will not allow their players to make the same mistakes as were made in the previous encounter with Lipscomb. With the help of some colorful commentary (i.e. Catfish Hunter), CCCHS wins this one.

CUBS - 21

DL - 17

Guest catfish-hunter

COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAME THAN LAST TIME! The coaching staff at Cheatham Co. will not allow their players to make the same mistakes as were made in the previous encounter with Lipscomb. With the help of some colorful commentary (i.e. Catfish Hunter), CCCHS wins this one.

CUBS - 21

DL - 17

:thumb::lol:

Congrats on that playoff win last night coach. Good luck to you guys next week. I say you'll make a repeat of what we did to an unbeaten west-TN team back in the 2001 playoffs.

Edited by catfish-hunter

I doubt the field position that put Cheatham co in a hole last time will happen again.

Cheatham must stop the DL fullback Elrod. They will sit back and count on the opponent to make mistakes. I personally am seriously rooting for the public school Cheatham co to win in a low scoring game.. DL will not beat themselves.

Guest catfish-hunter

The quarterback play played a huge role in the first game as Cheatham quarterback Kendall Bell threw 3INT's in the first half of the game, one on the third play of the game that got returned for a TD that put Lipscomb on top very early. Kendall has accounted for 30TD's this year offensively for the Cubs (19 passing TD's and 11 rushing TD's) but the David Lipscomb defense made him look very bad that night.

Lipscomb has a pretty good passing attack that nobody ever talks about on here and that shocks me. Their quarterback, Clay Smith, has thrown 8TD passes and led his team to a region title despite having to replace a Mustang legend in Burton Elrod. Six of the eight touchdown passes were caught by Ford Hillin, who did burn the Cubs deep in the first meeting.

There is no doubt about it that Elrod is the bread & butter to Lipscomb's offensive attack, but the Cubs can't afford to get caught up on focusing on Elrod alone and get beat in the secondary. Cheatham did an outstanding job defensively in week eight against Creek Wood's duo of Vaughn & Steverson, but the unexpected did happen when Creek Wood's quarterback Theil started roasting the Cubs secondary for big chunks through the air. I'm 100% sure that the Cubs coaching staff will let the players remember that this week during practice and hopefully the kids will execute come Friday night.

Hey vandy1, I haven't heard nothing from you guys yet. I always look forward to seeing what you all have to say about the game during the game week. Can't wait to see Peter Powell's game notes for this Friday's highly anticipated rematch.

CC has the advantage in the re-match of knowing exactly what they are up against this time around. It dosen't matter how many times you see DL on film, until you experience that quick hitting counter play to Elrod first hand and then the quick toss sweep, you just can't be ready for it. On the other hand, DL's defense, kicking game, and quarterback play has steadily improved. This will be a close one and defense will again be the key. DL by 7

CUBS - 21

DL - 17

Go get em this week Coach. Load the box and make them beat you throwing.

I've got Lipscomb in a closer one 21 - 14

Cheatham has a chance if they can pass protect. They will have to throw the ball a little bit.