Gallatin (9-2) Vs Brentwood (10-1)

Gtowner

Wow, what a game! My boys just came up alittle bit short! Bwood missed a field goal late in the 4th, but a roughing the kicker penalty gave them another chance. After 3 more trys on offense, they made the go ahead & eventual game winning field goal. Gallatin had a chance to go ahead with about 2:30 left, but a bad snap & bobbled hold ended it!

The crowd was great & the atmosphere ELECTRIC!!!!! I must say that I am so proud of this team! Man, you guys really got it together these last few weeks! Hats off to you guys!

With forty-something returning juniors & thirty-something returning sophs, we will be back in the hunt next year! Ben & Jair, you are beasts!! To the 12 seniors, congratulations on a great season!

Good Luck to Brentwood & c-ya next year!!

GO GREEN WAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: Nuts and Bolts, Nuts and Bolts, We Got SCREWED!!!!!!!!!!!! B)

This was a good game of fotball; all but one play at least. Isn't it funny how one official can throw an entire season out the window on one absurd call?

Gallatin had the lead 9-7 in the middle of the 4th quarter when Brentwood kicked something like a 35 yard field goal. The kick was far left, but there was a flag on the play.... roughing the kicker on Gallatin. This would be reasonable had the Gallatin defender even touched the kicker, or had the white hat not waited to make sure that the kick was going to be no good before he threw the flag. Thats right, the judge did not even watch the kicker, he watched the ball! Then to beat it all, the kicker fell on the ground in agony and "had to be" carried off the field by two linemen only to be able to come in 3 plays later B) and kick to make it a 10-9 game. Best Kicker of the Year, yeah right, more like best actor of the year! You get my vote :thumb:

Hey Gtowner, WAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH......................!

Well we came out on the short end of the stick. It's not like Gallatin feared the Bruins or were even out played by them. This was a game in which Gallatin didn't take advantage of Brentwood and put them away in the third quarter. Played it close to vest with a 9-7 lead and it cost them in the end. The Defense was great and the offense was effective however like last year special teams of Gallatin was the let down this week. This game can be attributed to 4 plays by the special teams that didn't go for the Greenwave. The missed PAT, the missed onsides kick to start the 3rd quarter (why?), the missed tackles on the reverse on the punt to set up the fieldgoal, and the ill fated snap on the go ahead fieldgoal attempt with 2:30 to go in the game. We can blame the officals but somewhere down the line we have to accept responsibilty for poor special teams in the playoffs 2 years in a row.

I went into this game thinkig that whomever won would be playing in the BCBS bowl but after seeing the scores that Ridgway is putting up I'm not so sure 5-A will NOT have a middle team in it at all. Oak Ridge verses Ridgeway is looking more and more likely to me. I could be wrong.

Looks like a drive to exit 286 is in order for next week.

Edited by wave88

:angry: Nuts and Bolts, Nuts and Bolts, We Got SCREWED!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

This was a good game of fotball; all but one play at least. Isn't it funny how one official can throw an entire season out the window on one absurd call?

Gallatin had the lead 9-7 in the middle of the 4th quarter when Brentwood kicked something like a 35 yard field goal. The kick was far left, but there was a flag on the play.... roughing the kicker on Gallatin. This would be reasonable had the Gallatin defender even touched the kicker, or had the white hat not waited to make sure that the kick was going to be no good before he threw the flag. Thats right, the judge did not even watch the kicker, he watched the ball! Then to beat it all, the kicker fell on the ground in agony and "had to be" carried off the field by two linemen only to be able to come in 3 plays later :thumb: and kick to make it a 10-9 game. Best Kicker of the Year, yeah right, more like best actor of the year! You get my vote :lol:

Was in total agreement with your post about the refs until I realized you were talking about the flagrant roughing the kicker penalty. I thought you were talking about the phantom pass interference call against the Bruins late in the 4th quarter that reversed an interception and sustained your final field goal attempt drive.

We came home and watched the video replay on local cable and saw our kicker clearly knocked to the ground. Later we saw no one in a green shirt near the pass that was picked off. The closest player who must have been the intended receiver didn't get up looking for the penalty flag, but got up mad that he let the ball get picked off and ran straight to the sidelines holding his head.

Except for the kickoff out of bounds in the first half you weren't penalized until the 4th quarter. Between the penalties and the atrocious spots by the officials, we were treated to "home cooking" all night long. And speaking of home cooking, I hope all of the fans who booed as our kicker was carried off of the field are proud of how the acted and of the fine example they set for high school kids. I suggest you get bigger home stands so the visitors don't have to sit through a similar disturbing display of sportsmanship coming from their side of the field.

Other than that, great game. Glad to see someone in Region 5 that can make it past the 1st round. With all of your juniors we're sure to see you again soon.

Was in total agreement with your post about the refs until I realized you were talking about the flagrant roughing the kicker penalty. I thought you were talking about the phantom pass interference call against the Bruins late in the 4th quarter that reversed an interception and sustained your final field goal attempt drive.

We came home and watched the video replay on local cable and saw our kicker clearly knocked to the ground. Later we saw no one in a green shirt near the pass that was picked off. The closest player who must have been the intended receiver didn't get up looking for the penalty flag, but got up mad that he let the ball get picked off and ran straight to the sidelines holding his head.

Except for the kickoff out of bounds in the first half you weren't penalized until the 4th quarter. Between the penalties and the atrocious spots by the officials, we were treated to "home cooking" all night long. And speaking of home cooking, I hope all of the fans who booed as our kicker was carried off of the field are proud of how the acted and of the fine example they set for high school kids. I suggest you get bigger home stands so the visitors don't have to sit through a similar disturbing display of sportsmanship coming from their side of the field.

Other than that, great game. Glad to see someone in Region 5 that can make it past the 1st round. With all of your juniors we're sure to see you again soon.

I thought that when a player knocks your reciever over from behind when the ball was in the air it was pass interference, but go figure. I also wanted to know if your kicker got a scholarship in football, because if he didn't, acting seems like his natural talent anyway. As for our fans, I'm sure that it wouldn't have mattered whether they were being good examples for high school kids because half of the crowd was high school kids and they were booing louder than the adults.

Go Wave.

It's amazing how hard core fans can see something in two such different ways.

I'm not a fan of either team. Just saw a highlight (and not real close) on the news, and I couldn't tell if the rusher ticked the end of the kicker's shoe or not. It was close, that's for sure. Got to give the kid credit, though, for selling it. I heard the flag was thrown pretty late. Tough one for Gallatin to take, that's for sure. Congrats to the Bruins for making it to the big rematch.

"Phantom" calls return yet again in a Brentwood/Gallatin playoff matchup.

2001-three consecutive 15 yarders take Gallatin from their side of the 50 to field goal range-kick is good, Gallatin wins as time expires.

2005- Pass interference call; roughing the kicker call gives Bruins a second shot, field goal good, Bruins win.

I'd say we're even now. :thumb:

Great defensive struggle and effort by both teams. :lol::blink:

Bruins lose their traditional 20 or so seniors this year, but will come back with an experienced crew next season. Crawford plays a lot of underclassman on both sides of the ball every season.

Edited by fromthetop2

As a totally impartial observer from Murfreesboro that drove to the game Friday night....I saw a kicker who was punting the heck and kicking the heck out of the ball during warm ups. When given the attempt, I saw the ball kicked, kicker watch, ball hit the trees, looked back and saw the official turn back to the spot of the kick and throw his flag when he saw the kicker on the ground. Pitiful sportsmanship to actually rush and carry the kid off the field only to trot him out 3 plays later for the winner....being impartial, I would think if he had truly been hurt, they would have had the medical staff look at him ON THE FIELD like any other true injury. Looked to me that the "Kicker of the year, etc" had to come up with an excuse for missing a kick.

No, on the pass interference call....I saw the Gallatin QB make an absolutely terrible decision to throw the ball running left. The ball was intended for the Gallatin receiver about 2 yards beyond where the Brentwood defender intercepted the pass. There was contact when the defender came through the receive, however it didn't make a difference in the play and could have easily been a no call, but WAS more penalty worthy than the roughing the kicker.

Nobody has talked about the penalty on the field goal attempt....I don't know exactly what it was, some kind of procedure penalty.

I know it seems like I am taking Gallatin's side, but that is just the way I saw it from my position, without a dog in the fight.

Edited by randymc

Great game, but I wasnt to happy about Gallatins play calling as well. 2nd play of the game for the Green Wave is a fake handoff to the full back and a qb draw to the left side. Goes for a great gain. Next play is a touchdown pass. After that...majority of the plays was a QB draw up the middle. Gallatin went 3 and out mulitple times for that. Yes, that kinda calling worked in the past few weeks, but not against a Defense like Brentwood. Stretch the defense to the sides...get them tired. Running up the middle just lets them stand their and wait for ya.

I cant give an opinion on the 4th quarter antics because I had to leave, but I was rooting for Gallatin. They had the talent to beat Brentwood, just came up a little short.

Papabear,

Not sure but I think the interference call on the interception was because the db was blocking the receiver while the ball was in the air. The Gallatin receiver had absolutely no chance of catching that ball but the db was blocking a little early. I am not going to complain about officiating. My complaint still centers around coaching and in particular playcalling. If points are so hard to come by that we try the pitiful onside kick then why not try to move the ball BEFORE halftime. We got the ball back with 1:51 on the clock with two timeouts and made no attempt to move the ball. We had success throwing the ball previously. Also I think redbaron may have pointed this out but the sweep by Sadler that set up the opening score should have tipped off somebody to get the ball outside. Why not a speed sweep to Manning or a slant pass to Hall. B'wood single covered Hall with a 5 to 10 yard cushion all night. A slant pass and he would still be running today. Brentwood did a great job shutting down the middle and we did nothing to counter. Let's face it GreenWave fans, as long as Lassiter adopts this "so conservative he squeeks when he walks" offense we will never make it past the third round at best. Too many good teams with a more diversified approach to offense. I have one word to sum up the "Defense wins championships" statement..."poop." Still gotta find paydirt.

itsprings...If the kicker was hurt then the booing was in bad taste...but we both know that was bogus. It's all part of the game and he got away with it so a sarcastic congrats.

Edited by Wireman

Its plan and simple Gallatin got screwed BAD!!!!! The kicker wasnt hurt at all but was carried off the field like his leg was broke!! Then after he mad the MUCH EASIER FG....he jumped up and down and had a look to him like "yeah thats right I just screwed all of you hahahahaha" I think the whole team should be ashamed for taking the W in that fashion. This is one game I can honestly say the better team DID NOT win!