Riverdale @ Oak Ridge

deepseadiver829

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tank picked Oak Ridge 28-24.

this is out of the oakridger.com

no he did not but thats ok everyone is allowed to miss them every now and then HaHaHa

Story last updated at 1:39 p.m. on November 25, 2005

Riverdale (13-0) at Oak Ridge (12-1)

Let's do this!

By: Tank Johnson | Oak Ridger Staff

tank.johnson@oakridger.com

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." ­Vince Lombardi Does it get any better than this?

As I was sitting down with family yesterday, enjoying a fantastic Thanksgiving meal, all I could think about was tonight.

I felt somewhat guilty actually.

Family and friends I had not seen since the last time we enjoyed a November meal last year were gathered and my thoughts went from how great the dressing was, to what I thought the keys to a victory would be for Oak Ridge against Riverdale.

Just thinking about the game made me almost giddy.

Yes, I said giddy and I meant it.

I firmly believe that you can not be a sports writer for notoriety or for money - it has to be for the love of games just like we will all witness tonight. Close to 10,000 fans will pack Blankenship field, watching two premier programs battle it out for a spot in the state championship game.

If an atmosphere like that doesn't get your blood pumping, then stop reading this column right now and continue doing what you were doing.

Riverdale comes to town as the proverbial kings of the mountain.

No name in 5A football is more synonymous with winning, as the Warriors have cleared a path of domination for the past 10-plus years. There are no signs of slowing down either, as Gary Rankin is considered by many as the top coach in the state.

Having an ever-flowing pool of talent in a city like Murfreesboro, which has been called the fastest-growing city per capita in the US on several studies, certainly helps Rankin's cause.

Something the Oak Ridge program knows all about, success breeds jealousy. Riverdale has become the team that fans across the state would love to see get beat. It runs in cycles honestly, with Maryville joining that list right now, along with Alcoa in 2A football.

Oak Ridge has been there, in fact they were there so often that it still runs deep, with fans always getting a kick out of the Wildcats getting dropped.

All teams that enjoy that kind of contempt, should take it as a huge compliment. Essentially it means, "we wish we could be just like you."

As for tonight, looking at things on paper it looks fairly even. Both teams come in with high-charged offenses and stingy defenses. Both have Mr. Football candidates carrying the bulk of the load, while nobody scores many points on the defenses.

Riverdale, while not as dominant as last year, has proven that even if you know what they are doing on offense, just try and stop it. So far, nobody has.

But who has stopped Oak Ridge?

Breaking down the game, Oak Ridge has got to somehow make the Warriors throw the football. If the "Dark Side" defense can somehow contain Gaston Miller, forcing Scott Thomas to throw, their chances greatly increase. Thomas' percentage is well below .50, despite having a quick, talented group of receivers to throw to.

For Oak Ridge on offense, just keep on keeping on. It begins up front, with the offensive line blocking. Throw in Daniel Johnson at fullback, who in my opinion is one of the best blocking backs in the state, and the running game needs to set the tone. Throughout the playoffs, Oak Ridge has taken its first possession and drove it down the throat of their opponents.

Not only sending a message, but proving even though you know they are going to run, you just can't stop it.

"That is something we have stressed," Stanton Stevens said. "We want the other team to know that we are there to take care of business."

Now granted, they have not played as athletic or talented defense like Riverdale, setting the tone early will go a long way to success all night.

Riverdale's Miller is going to get his yards.

What the defense must do, is cut out his big plays and hit him hard. The team that is the most physical, wins.

"He is so quick, our secondary must do a good job of tackling him on first contact," Stevens continued.

Turnovers, like in all football games, will be crucial. Limiting those miscues, especially on the wrong part of the field, will also be one of the keys to success. Last week, Riverdale had several, thanks to Cookeville's tackling technique.

Word is, Oak Ridge has worked a little extra on what made the Cavaliers successful in forcing a loose pigskin.

I wouldn't expect Riverdale to give that many gifts, despite it being so close to Christmas. However, if they do, that 28-game winning streak is more than just in jeopardy. The Wildcats had a couple of fumbles last week as well, but weren't enough to help Farragut in quarterfinals.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TANK'S FINAL TAKE: It would be real easy for me to simply pick Oak Ridge to look better to the Wildcat Nation. I would love to go with my heart and pick the 'Cats to advance. A lot of writers do that you know. They want to look good for the home crowd, enjoying those pats on the back and smiling away, while knowing inside they picked against their true thoughts.

In fact, it wouldn't be a bad choice, considering my gut also tells me the Ridgers are more than capable of pulling out the win.

Looking at the numbers, the trends and all of the intangibles, it is such a tough game to pick because it is so even. I know the Warriors come into the game with a 5-0 mark over the 'Cats and the mindset that they own the Oak Ridge program.

I think this team, led by a special group of seniors, has an incredible opportunity to break that Riverdale streak. Along with the obvious talent, there is a special bond among these players that makes one think it can do just that - along with winning a state championship.

But is Riverdale just too much?

Can Blankenship and the home-field advantage help?

In just a few hours, we will find out. But what we do know, is both teams will leave it all out on the field when the final horn sounds.

This one has all the makings of a game that fans will remember a long time.

After all the stat grinding, soul searching and sleepless nights, I have to make a pick that I hope I am dead wrong about.

Riverdale 28, Oak Ridge 24

What a great game, IM still amazed at the posts though, the really player of this game was #2 Coffee(i think thats his name) He had 2 huge interceptions to put the game away and a couple of nice punt returns and 100 yards recieving I believe. I was just amazed how i havent heard of him more.

SPenecer is a good back I wish i would have seen him against a different defense though.

this is out of the oakridger.com

no he did not but thats ok everyone is allowed to miss them every now and then HaHaHa

Story last updated at 1:39 p.m. on November 25, 2005

Riverdale (13-0) at Oak Ridge (12-1)

Let's do this!

By: Tank Johnson | Oak Ridger Staff

tank.johnson@oakridger.com

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." ­Vince Lombardi Does it get any better than this?

As I was sitting down with family yesterday, enjoying a fantastic Thanksgiving meal, all I could think about was tonight.

I felt somewhat guilty actually.

Family and friends I had not seen since the last time we enjoyed a November meal last year were gathered and my thoughts went from how great the dressing was, to what I thought the keys to a victory would be for Oak Ridge against Riverdale.

Just thinking about the game made me almost giddy.

Yes, I said giddy and I meant it.

I firmly believe that you can not be a sports writer for notoriety or for money - it has to be for the love of games just like we will all witness tonight. Close to 10,000 fans will pack Blankenship field, watching two premier programs battle it out for a spot in the state championship game.

If an atmosphere like that doesn't get your blood pumping, then stop reading this column right now and continue doing what you were doing.

Riverdale comes to town as the proverbial kings of the mountain.

No name in 5A football is more synonymous with winning, as the Warriors have cleared a path of domination for the past 10-plus years. There are no signs of slowing down either, as Gary Rankin is considered by many as the top coach in the state.

Having an ever-flowing pool of talent in a city like Murfreesboro, which has been called the fastest-growing city per capita in the US on several studies, certainly helps Rankin's cause.

Something the Oak Ridge program knows all about, success breeds jealousy. Riverdale has become the team that fans across the state would love to see get beat. It runs in cycles honestly, with Maryville joining that list right now, along with Alcoa in 2A football.

Oak Ridge has been there, in fact they were there so often that it still runs deep, with fans always getting a kick out of the Wildcats getting dropped.

All teams that enjoy that kind of contempt, should take it as a huge compliment. Essentially it means, "we wish we could be just like you."

As for tonight, looking at things on paper it looks fairly even. Both teams come in with high-charged offenses and stingy defenses. Both have Mr. Football candidates carrying the bulk of the load, while nobody scores many points on the defenses.

Riverdale, while not as dominant as last year, has proven that even if you know what they are doing on offense, just try and stop it. So far, nobody has.

But who has stopped Oak Ridge?

Breaking down the game, Oak Ridge has got to somehow make the Warriors throw the football. If the "Dark Side" defense can somehow contain Gaston Miller, forcing Scott Thomas to throw, their chances greatly increase. Thomas' percentage is well below .50, despite having a quick, talented group of receivers to throw to.

For Oak Ridge on offense, just keep on keeping on. It begins up front, with the offensive line blocking. Throw in Daniel Johnson at fullback, who in my opinion is one of the best blocking backs in the state, and the running game needs to set the tone. Throughout the playoffs, Oak Ridge has taken its first possession and drove it down the throat of their opponents.

Not only sending a message, but proving even though you know they are going to run, you just can't stop it.

"That is something we have stressed," Stanton Stevens said. "We want the other team to know that we are there to take care of business."

Now granted, they have not played as athletic or talented defense like Riverdale, setting the tone early will go a long way to success all night.

Riverdale's Miller is going to get his yards.

What the defense must do, is cut out his big plays and hit him hard. The team that is the most physical, wins.

"He is so quick, our secondary must do a good job of tackling him on first contact," Stevens continued.

Turnovers, like in all football games, will be crucial. Limiting those miscues, especially on the wrong part of the field, will also be one of the keys to success. Last week, Riverdale had several, thanks to Cookeville's tackling technique.

Word is, Oak Ridge has worked a little extra on what made the Cavaliers successful in forcing a loose pigskin.

I wouldn't expect Riverdale to give that many gifts, despite it being so close to Christmas. However, if they do, that 28-game winning streak is more than just in jeopardy. The Wildcats had a couple of fumbles last week as well, but weren't enough to help Farragut in quarterfinals.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TANK'S FINAL TAKE: It would be real easy for me to simply pick Oak Ridge to look better to the Wildcat Nation. I would love to go with my heart and pick the 'Cats to advance. A lot of writers do that you know. They want to look good for the home crowd, enjoying those pats on the back and smiling away, while knowing inside they picked against their true thoughts.

In fact, it wouldn't be a bad choice, considering my gut also tells me the Ridgers are more than capable of pulling out the win.

Looking at the numbers, the trends and all of the intangibles, it is such a tough game to pick because it is so even. I know the Warriors come into the game with a 5-0 mark over the 'Cats and the mindset that they own the Oak Ridge program.

I think this team, led by a special group of seniors, has an incredible opportunity to break that Riverdale streak. Along with the obvious talent, there is a special bond among these players that makes one think it can do just that - along with winning a state championship.

But is Riverdale just too much?

Can Blankenship and the home-field advantage help?

In just a few hours, we will find out. But what we do know, is both teams will leave it all out on the field when the final horn sounds.

This one has all the makings of a game that fans will remember a long time.

After all the stat grinding, soul searching and sleepless nights, I have to make a pick that I hope I am dead wrong about.

Riverdale 28, Oak Ridge 24

He must have changed his mind prior to going to print. The actual printed edition says "After all the stat grinding, soul searching and sleepless nights, it's hard to go against the Warriors.

But after getting to know this year's team and looking into their eyes, it's even harder to go against the Wildcats. Plus, pats on the back aren't all that bad"

Oak Ridge 28 Riverdale 24

I guess we're both right