GREAT HIGH SCHOOL COACHES

ERA

Many high school coaches dream of going to the next level. College ball has it's perks. Visibility, more talent, more opportunities for their future. There are those that don't take long to jump ship and take their shot at the college level but many stay behind for various reasons. What do you think are some of the reasons great coaches remain at the high school level?

Many high school coaches dream of going to the next level. College ball has it's perks. Visibility, more talent, more opportunities for their future. There are those that don't take long to jump ship and take their shot at the college level but many stay behind for various reasons. What do you think are some of the reasons great coaches remain at the high school level?

#1 reason -- FAMILY ; I would say that time with family is the most important one.

I think there are some various reasons.

1. Family, alot of late nights and time away from family is required to be succesful at the college level.

2. I think many coaches enjoy the purity of high school football. Not as much politics involved.

3. The chance to develop young men not only for football, but for the rest of their lives. Making winners of them on and off the field.

4. Also believe there is an added satisfaction in winning with what you have. Not being able to just recruit who you want or need.

1. Family, alot of late nights and time away from family is required to be succesful at the college level.

2. I think many coaches enjoy the purity of high school football. Not as much politics involved.

3. The chance to develop young men not only for football, but for the rest of their lives. Making winners of them on and off the field.

4. Also believe there is an added satisfaction in winning with what you have. Not being able to just recruit who you want or need.

Good Post KFL! I really think that is exactly the reasons.

You are so correct in everything that you have stated but you should also add the following:

1. Many times the high school coaches have not played in college and do not have the contacts to become a GA where they can get started.

2. As a young assistant you have to live a vagabond life with very little pay.

3. Often young people are scared of the unknown and do not want to move very far away from their family and firends. How many poeple not only coaches but in other fields will take a job on the opposite side of the United States? It takes a very determined and mature person to do this. Just look at how many student/athletes travel more that 4 or 5 hours away from home to attend college and you will find that it is very few. The ones that do are both very good players and mature.

4. Young coaches must be good recruiters and some young graduates do not have the personality to go and get that blue chip player.

5. Established high school coaches would probably have to take a large cut in pay to become as assistant on the college level. How many of the big time colleges that pay their assistant coaches well would hire a high school coach? They would probably have to start at a very small college and that would be a low paying and often times part time job.

I don't feel that you can blame it on a wife and kids because how many young college graduates have a wife and kids? If you can blame it on anything it would be that most high school coaches don't have the playing background and connections to even get to 1st base with most college programs. We are talking about two different worlds.

Edited by cbg

Two reasons-

1)The main reason is pay. You would have to be an assistant on the Div.1A level to make more money than a high school coach, or a coordinator at Div.1AA level. Most coaches would at very least have to be assistants at small level before moving up the ranks.

2)Most of the ones people on this board consider great coaches are just a product of the talent on the field. You can't measure coaching ability on the high school level by wins and losses. Take for example- John Allen. At LFO he was considered great because he was winning, comes to Bradley and they win one game. Did he all of the sudden forget everything he knew, no it was talent level. Take Tim Hammontree for example. He wins state title at Maryville -great coach. Now he is average at Rhea County. I promise if you put George Quarles or Gary Rankin at a school with no talent (to keep from making anyone mad I won't name a school) they wouldn't seem like such great coaches. Now does that mean these guys aren't great coaches, obviously not. I just hate to see all these threads on coacht about who is best coach in state and everytime the only ones mentioned are the guys that are winning state titles. Has much more to do with talent level that actual coaching ability.

I just hate to see all these threads on coacht about who is best coach in state and everytime the only ones mentioned are the guys that are winning state titles. Has much more to do with talent level that actual coaching ability.

This thread is not about who is the greatest....................IT"S ABOUT CHOICES COACHES MAKE!

Not who's the best. B)

Two reasons-

1)The main reason is pay. You would have to be an assistant on the Div.1A level to make more money than a high school coach, or a coordinator at Div.1AA level. Most coaches would at very least have to be assistants at small level before moving up the ranks.

2)Most of the ones people on this board consider great coaches are just a product of the talent on the field. You can't measure coaching ability on the high school level by wins and losses. Take for example- John Allen. At LFO he was considered great because he was winning, comes to Bradley and they win one game. Did he all of the sudden forget everything he knew, no it was talent level. Take Tim Hammontree for example. He wins state title at Maryville -great coach. Now he is average at Rhea County. I promise if you put George Quarles or Gary Rankin at a school with no talent (to keep from making anyone mad I won't name a school) they wouldn't seem like such great coaches. Now does that mean these guys aren't great coaches, obviously not. I just hate to see all these threads on coacht about who is best coach in state and everytime the only ones mentioned are the guys that are winning state titles. Has much more to do with talent level that actual coaching ability.

Thats funny...that really is one of those knee slappers right there...take Quarels somewhere else and that team does win...you just made my day

Having lived in the same house as a head coach and now assistant coach...the main reason is family and instability of the college level...and the other is that high school players are much easier to coach for the fact that they are not as worried about the name on the back of their jerseys as the emblem on their helmet...college players (most of them) are more worried about stats and what round they are projected to go in the NFL draft.

...ex...look at what happened with shaun alexander last year with the running title...he missed it by one yard and felt like he was stabbed in the back and then held out on a contract for some time...do u think a high school player is gonna hold out on his team or his teammates if the coach does not give him the ball 5 more times a game...NO...and if he does that kid will be put on the bench...GO REBELS!!!

Do you really think Quarles would win 10 games a year if he was coach at Red Boiling Springs? If you don't think talent has something to do with it then there is no use in discussing. I agree that Quarles is a great coach, my point was that wins and losses don't define who is great and who's not as easy in high school as in college. In high school you coach the players that are in your zone. 95% of the time the team with the most talent will win.

Also, I didn't say this was a thread on who is best coach- I just stated that I hate seeing so many on these boards as it almost always lists the same three or four guys whose schools have far and away more talent than many others.

You are so correct in everything that you have stated but you should also add the following:

1. Many times the high school coaches have not played in college and do not have the contacts to become a GA where they can get started.

2. As a young assistant you have to live a vagabond life with very little pay.

3. Often young people are scared of the unknown and do not want to move very far away from their family and firends. How many poeple not only coaches but in other fields will take a job on the opposite side of the United States? It takes a very determined and mature person to do this. Just look at how many student/athletes travel more that 4 or 5 hours away from home to attend college and you will find that it is very few. The ones that do are both very good players and mature.

4. Young coaches must be good recruiters and some young graduates do not have the personality to go and get that blue chip player.

5. Established high school coaches would probably have to take a large cut in pay to become as assistant on the college level. How many of the big time colleges that pay their assistant coaches well would hire a high school coach? They would probably have to start at a very small college and that would be a low paying and often times part time job.

I don't feel that you can blame it on a wife and kids because how many young college graduates have a wife and kids? If you can blame it on anything it would be that most high school coaches don't have the playing background and connections to even get to 1st base with most college programs. We are talking about two different worlds.

I agree with most on this subject, however I think there are several factors as to why some coaches are in HS and some are in College, NFL, etc. First of all, many college coaches would probably like to coach HS football but never became certified to teach. Many of them played college ball, decided they wanted to coach and took a GA job, and boom, now they are college coaches. Most high school coaches have known since they were in HS they wanted to coach. Therefore they took the appropriate measures to become certified to teach and coach. That is just one bit of reasoning that I thought I would mention. I for one have coached at most levels other than the NFL. I think they all have positives as well as negatives, but when it is all said and done, I think your individual personality determines whether or not your suited for the hs or college level.