Talent vs. Coaching

TalentWinsGames

I am wondering how you feel on the most signficant feature of a good program (meaning state championship caliber). Talent or good, quality coaching? Personally, I feel it is a mixture of the two. Solid athletes peppered with an exceptional player here and there intertwined with a discliplined, well-guided coach. Moreover, some programs win with this combination, but it seems most teams that win just have incredible talent.

I am frustrated due to the praise some coaches receive for doing a job that anyone with knowledge about the game could have done. For example last year in the second state game on Friday, the team that won obviously had more athletes than anyone, but appeared to be the most undisciplined team that has won a state. Examples being, DT's rushing straight up the field, players complaining about not having the ball thrown their way. It was as if the coach took the approach "don't screw'em up by coaching'em." However, a certain 5-A team that repeatedly wins the state in middle Tennessee in a different manner than the previously mention 2-A team. They win every year and their coach is regarded as one of the greatest around. I have seen the program and they are very well coached. But, any quality coach could win there. My question is not whether these programs are good or not. Whether they are disciplined or not is definitely not my intention. My question is does coaching really matter in the grand scheme of things in terms of winning? Is talent more important or good, quality coaching?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am wondering how you feel on the most signficant feature of a good program (meaning state championship caliber). Talent or good, quality coaching? Personally, I feel it is a mixture of the two. Solid athletes peppered with an exceptional player here and there intertwined with a discliplined, well-guided coach. Moreover, some programs win with this combination, but it seems most teams that win just have incredible talent.

I am frustrated due to the praise some coaches receive for doing a job that anyone with knowledge about the game could have done. For example last year in the second state game on Friday, the team that won obviously had more athletes than anyone, but appeared to be the most undisciplined team that has won a state. Examples being, DT's rushing straight up the field, players complaining about not having the ball thrown their way. It was as if the coach took the approach "don't screw'em up by coaching'em." However, a certain 5-A team that repeatedly wins the state in middle Tennessee in a different manner than the previously mention 2-A team. They win every year and their coach is regarded as one of the greatest around. I have seen the program and they are very well coached. But, any quality coach could win there. My question is not whether these programs are good or not. Whether they are disciplined or not is definitely not my intention. My question is does coaching really matter in the grand scheme of things in terms of winning? Is talent more important or good, quality coaching?

thats a very good question. Im sure that there are a lot of teams who experience this. One i am knowledgable about is the CAK program in Knoxville. in 2001, CAK went 0-8 with a very undisciplined head coach. Coach Bill Young formerly of Bearden and Oak Ridge took over the program and in 2 years took a previously 0-8 team to them to the semifinals of the playoffs in 2003. Same core group of players, different coaches. You just cant learn talent, you can get stronger, quicker, sometimes even faster, but you just cant learn the intangibles. Coaching in my opinion is more important than talent, however talent doesnt hurt.

Talent can win ball games, but alone it can't create a successful program. The allocation of the talent, forging a disciplined and unified team out of a bunch of talented individuals, and making adjustments against other talented teams during the games creates a successful program...the coach makes that happen.

I completely agree, but how many top teams are there that have very little talent? I agree you must have a coach to harness talent, but if you don't have any talent it doesn't matter how good the coach is.

My definition of a successful program is one in which the coach takes the people he has and turns them into the best team they can be. If a successful program means winning a state championship, then in addition to a good coach you need talented players. Talented players alone will never create a successful program under either definition, except by pure luck.

Edited by jabbo

I disagree i think a coach can be a big difference in a win as well as a loss you must prepare your team for what the opponent is going to do if the opponent gets into a formation and the kids know what they are going to run out of that formation it gives the athlete a better chance to make a play but if a coach doesnt prepare them then the athlete cant perform as well in MY OPINION a lot of the great plays the athletes make is probably from where the coach told him to look for that on this situation. I am talking playoff time in regular season you will play teams that you are far surperior to and it doesnt matter if the coach is not as storng as the opposing coach