Melrose vs Maryville Round 2

kwc

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tucker is interested in Louisville and Tennessee. Both have shown interest...neither have offered.

The college recruiting world is completely blind and brainless (that's not a biased opinion :thumb:)...hardly anyone is looking at Tallent. I really think he can offer the D1 world something, but his best fit will probably end up being medium D2 or big D3.

Tucker is 6'4" or 5", 255. I don't have my numbers in front of me kdub, so don't go quotin... :D

Watch for #2, Tyler Maples. He's just a junior, but I'm sure some scouts are already aware of his speed.

Kdub, what would you say were the keys to Christian Brothers win?

The new coach fired the old OC and inserted his offense. He didn't have a QB to step up at that time. Ergo, no passing game from Melrose, and CBHS knew it. They ran a 3-5 defense and dared Melrose to throw. Cooper could go nowhere, and still managed respectable yardage. Melrose was on their third QB then, I think. They finally setteled on Wilson ... who has since then developed nicely.

Tucker is interested in Louisville and Tennessee. Both have shown interest...neither have offered.

The college recruiting world is completely blind and brainless (that's not a biased opinion :thumb:)...hardly anyone is looking at Tallent. I really think he can offer the D1 world something, but his best fit will probably end up being medium D2 or big D3.

Tucker is 6'4" or 5", 255. I don't have my numbers in front of me kdub, so don't go quotin... :D

Watch for #2, Tyler Maples. He's just a junior, but I'm sure some scouts are already aware of his speed.

Kdub, what would you say were the keys to Christian Brothers win?

Rebel Nation,

KDub may have a different angle on this but most likely not. Early in the season when this game took place, Melrose had not settled on a QB. Christian Brothers loaded up the box to stop Cooper and dared Melrose to pass. Dropped passes, Bad throws, & 4 quarters later, we lost. A punt return for a TD was called back late in the 4th quarter.

The difference in the Melrose offense then and now is enormous.

There is no question Melrose has improved by putting a quality athlete like Wilson under center. I think I read somewhere that the change happened around the 7th game of the season. It that right.

Wonder how he will hold up under state game pressure at that position?

Of course Maryvile has it's own new QB's to wonder about in our own right.

Rebel Nation,

KDub may have a different angle on this but most likely not. Early in the season when this game took place, Melrose had not settled on a QB. Christian Brothers loaded up the box to stop Cooper and dared Melrose to pass. Dropped passes, Bad throws, & 4 quarters later, we lost. A punt return for a TD was called back late in the 4th quarter.

The difference in the Melrose offense then and now is enormous.

Guys, I know you know I respect you, so don't take this as me setting you up...but that proved my personal theory. Though lots has changed since week 4 I know. I know Melrose has improved a ton. The offense from week 5 on exploded.

OMW, pm me and I'll give you my cellie. I've already given it to kwc. I owe one or both of you a coke from last year :blink:

.....stuff like this is why memfis is memfis!

What do you mean by that statement?

If those Maryville players are as good as they are, then they need to come to Memphis and play college ball.

I mean we only have one of the top 2 running backs in the nation, who's the NCAA all-purpose leader in yardage, ALL-TIME, in DeAngelo Williams.

We have a field goal kicker, Steven Gokowtski, who will be playing in the pros next year as well.

We have John Calipari and a top ten basketball program, with one of the most explosive athletes in the country in Rodney Carney. A freshman superstar in Shawne Williams. Sophomore sensation Darius Washington, Jr at the point, with a bench so deep it's unreal.

Mike Fratello, Jerry West, and the Memphis Grizzlies.

We have more than High School Football going on over here.

.....stuff like this is why memfis is memfis!

If those Maryville players are as good as they are, then they need to come to Memphis and play college ball.

I mean we only have one of the top 2 running backs in the nation, who's the NCAA all-purpose leader in yardage, ALL-TIME, in DeAngelo Williams.

We have a field goal kicker, Steven Gokowtski, who will be playing in the pros next year as well.

We have John Calipari and a top ten basketball program, with one of the most explosive athletes in the country in Rodney Carney. A freshman superstar in Shawne Williams. Sophomore sensation Darius Washington, Jr at the point, with a bench so deep it's unreal.

In the Tuesday's edition of the Commercial Appeal, there is a story about the 4th annual Memphis area high school All-Star game. I only mention this in this thread because I think that the non selection of Michael Carter on the team is downright criminal. I don't know who selected the players that were selected, or how the selection process works, but not selecting him borders on complete incompetence ... and I am being kind when I say that! I am completely baffeled. But ... It does throw logs on the fire that burn within Michael Carter. The people who selected the teams may as well walked up to that young man, spit in his face and then slapped him. His recourse of action in response to such an outrageous insult is to have a really big game against Maryville. Add on the souring distaste of a one point loss last year in the championship game after being told all weak prior to the game that they were going to be outcoached, outdisciplined, outexecuted, and out everything else by Maryville. A young man like Michael Carter, with his extreme competativeness, drive, and determination isn't going to take this slight lightly. He's been as dominant on the defense as Cooper has been on offense.

Not selecting him for the All-Star team is one of the biggest blunders that could have been done. He already plays with a mean disposition, ANYWAY. Saturday, he's going to be downright NASTY! He's going to play like a man possessed. I think he uses it as motivation this coming Saturday. I know I would! The sheer audacity to not select THE MOST DOMINANT DL IN MEMPHIS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL for it's all star game.

This is a really big game and I am not insinuating that Michael wasn't going to come out fired up anyway. What I am saying is that this is just more motivation for the young man. I mean ... how would you view it if you were dominant in EVERY game you played ... had been nominated for the highest honor that could be given for a highschool player in TN ... then you get snubbed by the selection committee for the All-Star team in the sport you were the most dominant in your position, in your city/town?

All I can do is shake my head and wonder ... who picked the players? Where they living in a vaccumn?

Here's the Link.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/footba...4274109,00.html

Can someone tell me about the depth Melrose has?

How many guys play on both sides of the ball? How does the squad look after the top 11 on each side? I see that you have won some games by very large margins, have the reserve players gotten a lot of snaps this season?

Just curious. Let me know please.

Well papa, from what I have seen number 7 and a few of their linemen play both ways. Number 7 plays tightend and outside line backer, and the guards and tackles play dt's and ends on deffense.

I dont know if you have heard this but their punt returner is amazing. Dont look for albert to be kicking the ball to him any time soon. But most of their skill players except for running backs play on their deffense.

Can't wait till state!!!! :thumb:

Edited by rebelman16

Hey no argument here. Memphis is a great town. I was there for a few days last June. Love to hang out on Beal street. The hardest part is deciding where to eat. Good sports town, lots of musical history, (yes i did Graceland) and best of all it is in TENNESSEE!

Wow!!!

Sounds like they have had alot of athelets and have some as well.

Then they should wipe the flour with us just like central, powell, and alcoa. :thumb:

Edited by rebelman16