ALCOA AA State Champs !

SPLITBACK

FBEmeritus

There is no way I want that Alcoa/Maryville game dropped. There would be a riot if that happened. For us lifelong Maryville fans who went to school at Maryville and played ball there nothing is bigger than Alcoa/Maryville. I am sure the Alcoa fans feel the same way.

I don't want the William Blount and Heritage games dropped either. If I could drop some games it would be South Doyle,Clinton or Lenoir City.

RebelRon I couldn't agree more. When I lived in Nashville people would always ask when they knew I played at Alcoa: "What was the big game really like." It will never be dropped that I can see and I don't live in Blount County.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree it is a huge game for the nostalgia alone. It does little to prepare a team for its own classification. Save for the huge crowns. That size of a crowd and atmosphere helps the teams get ready for the big game should it come in the post season.

I was speaking to competition. What’s the record? Like 75-25 or something and the past 10 years 9-1? Sure Maryville fans enjoy that record. I know the schools won't drop the game simply because of the gate. $$$$$$$$$$$ Always rules the day! I do think an Oak Ridge game would have a bigger crowd and gate. Not to mention the hype of the two most storied programs in the area playing each other every year. It will happen in 09 anyway. The Heritage and WB games will a region 5A game I am afraid then we got Blount Co knocking one another out of the post season every year. Think about that?

I think the game with Alcoa is great for the neighborhood but it has become un- competitive in my opinion.

But heck “They don’t scare me”. Alcoa’s New Head Coach 04/05 talking about Maryville at his orientation! See you in Aug, at Lawrence Street.

I agree it is a huge game for the nostalgia alone. It does little to prepare a team for its own classification. Save for the huge crowns. That size of a crowd and atmosphere helps the teams get ready for the big game should it come in the post season.

I was speaking to competition. What’s the record? Like 75-25 or something and the past 10 years 9-1? Sure Maryville fans enjoy that record. I know the schools won't drop the game simply because of the gate. $$$$$$$$$$$ Always rules the day! I do think an Oak Ridge game would have a bigger crowd and gate. Not to mention the hype of the two most storied programs in the area playing each other every year. It will happen in 09 anyway. The Heritage and WB games will a region 5A game I am afraid then we got Blount Co knocking one another out of the post season every year. Think about that?

I think the game with Alcoa is great for the neighborhood but it has become un- competitive in my opinion.

But heck “They don’t scare me”. Alcoa’s New Head Coach 04/05 talking about Maryville at his orientation! See you in Aug, at Lawrence Street.

Here we go again! Should we ever forget how great Maryville is, us Alcoa folks can always depend on some rebel fan coming up and reminding us. It's okay though, it makes the years that AHS beats MHS that much sweeter. Should AHS be scared of MHS??? I think not. So what if MHS has 4 times the students as AHS??? Why should Rankin be scared of MHS? He shouldn't. His record speaks for itself. Obviously you're not a born & bred Rebel, otherwise your comments about not playing the game wouldn't have been posted on here. Those of us who grew up in the community know the significance of the game, aside from the money. The tradition of Maryville-Alcoa week is unrivaled in the state of Tn. The egg fights at the bridge (that, sadly, no longer happens), the bonfires, the bridge that's painted at least 2 times a night (again, sadly a tradition that has dwindled down), the warnings of the students that if they're caught being somewhere or doing something they'll have to spend the time at the police station instead of the game, AHS fans burning rebel flags (even in the stands! Okay, this hasn't happened since I was very little, but what an impression it made on me!), even seeing some MHS kids putting the rebel flag in the middle of the duck pond; the chant: M-U-R-V-U-L, murvul murvul ___ like ___ (AHS fans can fill in the blanks!): these are all things that you may not be aware of. I truly think that there may be a time when the game isn't played, and it will be very sad to think of all the tradition going down the drain (much like the ban of the rebel flag). It will be because Alcoa refused to get bigger and bigger, and because we insist on keeping the charm of being a small school and keeping the family atmosphere. MHS should beat AHS; they have enough students to almost be a 5A school. So, go ahead FBE, gloat all you want!!! What a sweet day it will be when Alcoa beats MHS, even if the odds aren't in our favor!

Oh, one other thing: Last time the game was played at MHS, the rebel fans nearly brought tears to my eyes after our very small, inexperienced band performed by giving them a standing ovation. That was really a show of class (which offset everything else that goes on before, during, and after the game). That's another memory that will stick with me forever.

Edited by tornadogold

I would love to have room on the schedule for Oak Ridge but not at the expense of the Alcoa game. I agree with RRon regarding Clinton, SD and LC but those are region games and have to be played. I would gladly drop Heritage for Oak Ridge. Dropping Alcoa/Maryville would be like Ohio State not playing Michigan, or Alabama not playing Auburn. I think when you have a rivalry this long, and both teams crank out State titles on a regular basis it would be CRAZY if they did not play each other.

I would love to have room on the schedule for Oak Ridge but not at the expense of the Alcoa game. I agree with RRon regarding Clinton, SD and LC but those are region games and have to be played. I would gladly drop Heritage for Oak Ridge. Dropping Alcoa/Maryville would be like Ohio State not playing Michigan, or Alabama not playing Auburn. I think when you have a rivalry this long, and both teams crank out State titles on a regular basis it would be CRAZY if they did not play each other.

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!!! :)

Look guys, I understand the weight and the pride and tradition of the game, but if the game lost money-----well all of that would fall to the wayside fast.

Even tornadogold said some of the great things that used to go on prior to the game no longer are tolerated. Last year I even enjoyed the finger the kid from Alcoa flipped the MHS stands while carrying the reb flag cut to shreds. Heck look at the Flag issue. Maryville's own school board ruled against the kids, community and that southern tradition of the stars and bars. I never saw the symbol as hate or a "Safety Issue". It was just a way to cowtail to political correctness. Not a sport issue but I am glad it has become a court issue.

What I am saying is the game is becoming non competive and the gap in number of students is ever widening. I have thought by now Maryville City would consider a new high school. But when that is talked about you get the same ole story "You ain't from here are you"! How many kids are going to be stuffed into the building the next few years when the new pro growth mayor gets into office and grows to city lines?

The game is huge and I love it but I'm normally on the winning side, as it should be. Maryville is a whole lot bigger than Alcoa, we should win. Maybe just play the game every other year?

Why doesn’t Alcoa play Greenback instead of a Kentucky team that it takes 10K and two days to travel too? This way they would make 10K for the athletic department.

Look guys, I understand the weight and the pride and tradition of the game, but if the game lost money-----well all of that would fall to the wayside fast.

Even tornadogold said some of the great things that used to go on prior to the game no longer are tolerated. Last year I even enjoyed the finger the kid from Alcoa flipped the MHS stands while carrying the reb flag cut to shreds. Heck look at the Flag issue. Maryville's own school board ruled against the kids, community and that southern tradition of the stars and bars. I never saw the symbol as hate or a "Safety Issue". It was just a way to cowtail to political correctness. Not a sport issue but I am glad it has become a court issue.

What I am saying is the game is becoming non competive and the gap in number of students is ever widening. I have thought by now Maryville City would consider a new high school. But when that is talked about you get the same ole story "You ain't from here are you"! How many kids are going to be stuffed into the building the next few years when the new pro growth mayor gets into office and grows to city lines?

The game is huge and I love it but I'm normally on the winning side, as it should be. Maryville is a whole lot bigger than Alcoa, we should win. Maybe just play the game every other year?

Why doesn’t Alcoa play Greenback instead of a Kentucky team that it takes 10K and two days to travel too? This way they would make 10K for the athletic department.

1. This thread should be Maryville-Alcoa, not on the ALCOA AA State Champs.

2. It doesn't take Alcoa 2 days to travel to Hopkinsville, Ky.

3. It didn't cost Alcoa 10K to play that game.

4. There's no way a Greenback game would take in 10K.

5. Greenback wouldn't play Alcoa.

6. The shinanigans that used to go on before the game aren't tolerated because:

a. kids from both sides started throwing rocks instead of eggs, and,

b. the game is play much earlier now than it used to be (that means the kids

don't have enough time to get their plans in order!).

7. You aren't from around here, are you????

6. The shinanigans that used to go on before the game aren't tolerated because:

c. school officials and law enforcement really cracked down on the pranks after the weed killer on Alcoa's field in 2001.

Yes I am sorry, I am partly to blame for that!

I think it did take about 2 days plus a missed day at school.

Really? I guess those buses are cheep plus meals.

Not so sure about that, if the game is in Alcoa and those tornado boosters keep those great hamburgers cooking the whole game.

Why would they not? Those country boys have had some very good teams the past few years and could have beaten Alcoa a few times over the years IMO. Don’t know about the new coach they have.

6. The shenanigans that used to go on before the game aren't tolerated because:

Good point, true and to bad. Those things add to the game.

You are right again. So I guess that means I'm disqualified from knowing people, football and am too ignorant to comment on such things because I was educated elsewhere. In your mind how many years do I have to be here before I'm qualified to understand?????

OK truce and agree to disagree.

How is spring practice and are you guys ready for Friday’s scrimmage?

"2. It doesn't take Alcoa 2 days to travel to Hopkinsville, Ky.

I think it did take about 2 days plus a missed day at school."

If memory serves me right (and I'm pretty sure I'd know if my son didn't sleep in his own bed Thurs. night), the boys left Friday morning around 9-10 and were home around 6 a.m. Sat. morning. Don't know about where you're from, but here in the B.C., that's not even a 24 hour turn around (constituting 1 day).

I believe we were told the total cost for Ky was around $7K (okay, I'll give you that, I guess we could round up to $10K).

As for Greenback, do you know how small that school is???? The reason we have to go all the way to Ky is because no one will play us, especially schools that are smaller than us! Personally, I'd love to see Alcoa play Trousdale Co.

"So I guess that means I'm disqualified from knowing people, football and am too ignorant to comment on such things because I was educated elsewhere"

Well, now, I don't know where you grew up, and I never said you didn't know about people or football. I was merely inferring that if you're not a born and bred rebel or tornado, the rivalry probably doesn't mean as much as it does to those of us who were born with maroon or red/black blood. Also, in an earlier statement you had mentioned that someone else asked you about not being from here! I was just playing on that, seeing if I could get you going!!! GOTCHA!!!! :thumb:

Spring practice is going great. Rankin is getting a good look at those boys who may be overshadowed by the track and soccer guys once they're able to practice. It's their time to shine, and they're getting some great practice time in. Thanks for asking!!! :unsure:

I've heard from some players that they like Rankin a lot more than Reid. They said he let's the asst. coaches do their own thing, practice ends at 6:30, no matter what, practice is very efficient, and the kids have fun. I talked to one of the players, and they said when they woke up in the morning, last season, they were dreading practice, this year they actually can't wait to go to practice.