Question about Livingston Academy

orangenblack

Congratulations to the LA Wildcats!

I am confused as to whether Livingston Academy is a private school or a public school. I've never heard of an "Overton County High School" so I need to know how many high schools are in the county and names. I always thought "York Institute" was a private school for years until recently.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am confused as to whether Livingston Academy is a private school or a public school. I've never heard of an "Overton County High School" so I need to know how many high schools are in the county and names. I always thought "York Institute" was a private school for years until recently.

LA is a public school and is the only high school in the county.

YAI is a unique situation. It's the only state run high school in Tennessee.

LA has always been a public school as far as i can remeber. someone correct me if i'm wrong!

Thanks. Maybe I dreamt that up somewhere. :P It may have been many, many years ago, and I had heard that from my Dad or Grand parents, etc. I do know that there were other schools at one time on OC. There used to be a Rickman high school for sure.

Thanks. Maybe I dreamt that up somewhere. :thumb: It may have been many, many years ago, and I had heard that from my Dad or Grand parents, etc. I do know that there were other schools at one time on OC. There used to be a Rickman high school for sure.

Yes, you are right stlrcoach. In 1909, the school was founded by the Christian Women's Board of Missions of the Christian Church. Prior to this there were no high schools in Overton Co., instead using all grades community schools. In 1920 LA was funded by the United Christian Missionary Society. Fast forward to 1947 when Overton County bought the land and took control of all aspects of the school.

In 1985 Rickman high school and Livingston Academy were consolidated. LA has been the only high school in the county ever since. :D

• 5 months later...

YAI is a unique situation. It's the only state run high school in Tennessee.

York Institute has the unique distinction of being the only state-operated and state-financed comprehensive secondary school in Tennessee. The campus, consisting of over 400 acres, is purported to be the largest high school campus in the world. The school is dedicated to fulfilling the dream of its founder, providing excellence in education to the rural mountain youth that it serves.

Quote from the York Institute student handbook.

THE SQUAD ;)

Edited by THE SQUAD

• 3 weeks later...