Scott High

sportsfan10

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't mean that the talent was awesome at Scott High, but they did have enough talent to win more games and compete better with their opponents than they did. Except for this year, in the past I can recall at least one player on each year's team that could go out and get you at least 12 - 15 points a game...and that's more than they have now. All I was saying is that the coaching at Scott High has been the problem for many years. Last year, I don't really know about the coaching much. I am mostly just referring to around 1999-2004. But there was a little talent...some years more than others. I remember one good 2 and 3 guard, and at least one good post player (2 actually). So I remember at least three players with some talent (one of those with a lot of talent). That should count for something I think. But I do wish the girls and coach Marcum good luck the rest of the season.

I believe that in the next two years you will see a big difference in these girls.

As far as talent, the jv girls are 3-1. The potential is there. It's just going to take a little time. Confidence is lacking somewhat at this point. Kries & Murley did a good job. But they gave up too soon. I believe Coach Marcum will stick with it. I have never seen anyone so dedicated to a team in scott co since the Norma days.

Who are the gimmies on their schedule? I am not seeing a whole lot of teams on their schedule that I would call gimmies.

I don't want to speak for Star 3, but when you look at "gimmes" there are many on the schedule, and I think he/she is not just referring only to this years schedule but the last several years.

I will say this, a school with nearly 750 students should not lose to a shool of less than 150, IE-Oakdale. to take nothing away from Oakdale, but just numbers alone should make this a winnable game every time.

Give the Ladies credit they have won two of three "gimmes" this season, Jellico & Gibbs. Gibbs is perhaps one of the worse AA teams in the state.

Thanks, Glasseater. I don't mind you replying because I agree with you. I was referring to more than just one team when referring to the Gimmes, though. And I agree...I am not taking away anything from anyone (or any school). But Scott High does have a large school (and quite a few kids). I would call the Gimmes: Oakdale, Jellico, Gibbs, and Sunbright (in most cases). And in recent years, these games are either losses or close games. I just think things should be different...that's all. But hey...this is only my opinion.

We MUST as fans and supporters stick with our kids and coaches to help get the through the early stages of the building process. We knew it was not going change over night. So we all have to be patient. Especially Coach. We are behind you!

I agree. You can not expect a program to just start up . Count the wins the past 5 years. I think you will see that Scott girls do not have a winning tradition. It will take that long to get the prospects to want to play for Scott. I agree---give the coach an opportunity. They play several good girls basketball schools. The main thing is do they give a good effort.?

I completely agree...Scott High girls have always been in one of the toughest districts, especially when Oliver Springs had Laura Hall and that state qualifying team. But no matter how tough your district is, you need to at least compete. You can't allow yourself to get blown out night in and night out. For one, it looks bad on your school, program, girls, and coach, and most importantly, it's tough on the girls. It's hard to look forward to lacing up those shoes and putting on that uniform when you're so used to losing. It gets tiring after a while. The girls have to have something to play for. A winning tradition is hard to create yet easy to destroy...and it's hard to bring back up. I just hope that can happen for Scott High. I want to see the program become successful.

I completely agree...Scott High girls have always been in one of the toughest districts, especially when Oliver Springs had Laura Hall and that state qualifying team. But no matter how tough your district is, you need to at least compete. You can't allow yourself to get blown out night in and night out. For one, it looks bad on your school, program, girls, and coach, and most importantly, it's tough on the girls. It's hard to look forward to lacing up those shoes and putting on that uniform when you're so used to losing. It gets tiring after a while. The girls have to have something to play for. A winning tradition is hard to create yet easy to destroy...and it's hard to bring back up. I just hope that can happen for Scott High. I want to see the program become successful.

Star 3,

I can't say that I have ever heard a more true statement of characterizing this situation. When you said "a winning tradition is hard to create, yet easy to destroy" , this is far too true of what has taken place at SHS, this was once a feared powerhouse in girls basketball.

As you said losing is tough on the girls, and sad to say but losing is also contagious, and it is hard to overcome this with the lack of recent success.

Great post!

Thanks.

I just hate to see Scott High's prorgam in the shape it is in right now. It is hard to watch those girls go out and give it their all but still not seem to be able to get things done.

I agree about losing being contagious. When you have lost so many times, it becomes uniform to the kids, and that's really what they expect...and that's such a sad situation. I want to see some pride and confidence in the Scott High program.

I also agree that Scott High used to be feared. In past years, they had some great talent along with a winning tradition. The won a few district banners and maybe a regional championship. Players like Lisa Pace, Michelle Lewallen, Delina Sharp, Wendy Newport, Bo West, and Kelly Fuller were just a few of the players that made Scott High a great competitor in their district and region at that time. But now it looks like that tradition is gone.

I look forward to seeing if our new coach can bring that tradition back to Scott County and actually imprint some pride and confidence into not only the athletes, but the school and the community.

I hope everyone will support them and give the team a little time.