how is coach burkey doing at shelbyville

FLMS

you're exactly right, how would you say he did last night?

Sleepless,

I think things will work out fine if the ladies will follow his instructions. They sometimes however take immediate 3 point shots on offense, are slow to move or help backside on defense and disregard his instructions (The latest, fouling #33 Jeffries at the end of the LC game). Now that’s what I notice from the bleaches having been an official and currently a student of the game. I imagine there are more than a few fundamentals not being followed. The game of basketball is like a chess match. Sometimes you don’t want to be ahead by 10 at half. Sometimes you prefer to bang it inside and tire the other team or exploit a match up to your advantage. We are beginning the most crucial part of the schedule; any district loss will be costly. This team has a chance to win the district 8AAA and region 4AAA. Usually our region plays well in the sectionals. If we play well and get to the state ANYTHING can happen. But the Eaglettes must put their selves in a position to win by playing sound, fundamental basketball and executing their game plans. That’s how Coach Insell DID IT and how Coach Burkey IS GOING to do it. The availability of Jarrell & Dawson inside will help this because it gives Johnson, Buchanon & Armstrong some help. 4 & 5 spots are probably the most physically demanding postions on the court. You take a beating inside, especially in our region, and have to run the floor too.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well with all the talking about how things are going one thing is sure. Coach Insell is NOT COMING BACK & Coach Burkey IS AND WILL BE COACH FOR SOMETIME.

I'm not sure if some are wanting coach Burkey to do well or fail. But he has a proven track record he is a winner.

Keep doing what your doing Coach Burkey :thumb:

I have watched the girls play every regular season game this year and can honestly say they are getting better with each game. I believe Coach Burkey is doing a great job considering all the injuries the team has had to endure since the beginning of the season. The return of Jarrell and Dawson will have a huge impact the rest of the season. :P Great job Coach!

• 2 weeks later...

I was blessed with the opportunity to assist Coach Burkey for over 10 years with the Tennessee Stars AAU program. I can't imagine that he won't be just as successful as Coach Insell was. He has been a winner everywhere he has been and it should be easy to continue that pattern with the tradition of the Shelbyville program. He cares deeply about each person that has played for him. He will make a great effort to help every player he's involved with to find a place to play. It takes a while to adapt to any new system that's installed. As the year progresses, I predict marked improvement in the team. He's a great teacher of the game and a well-prepared, respected strategist. I've taken alot of what he taught me and applied it to start one of the more successful boys AAU programs in East TN. Several of the players that played for the TN Stars are now starting to coach and applying the basketball and life lessons they learned under Coach Burkey. His coaching and mentoring of these players filters thru far more than he could imagine.

The highest compliment I could pay him is that if I had a daughter I couldn't think ofa person that I would entrust her basketball career and well-being to than Coach Burkey. You've got a WINNER Shelbyville!

Coach Burkey and his staff are doing a Great Job. The young ladies are the one's that have to go on the court and play the game. Sometimes the ladies don't play with the passion or heart from start to finish. I don't believe the coaches are responsible for the passion or heart issue. When you leave the locker room you don't have to be told to play hard for 32 minutes that comes with wearing an Eaglettes uniform.

Coach Burkey and his staff are doing a Great Job. The young ladies are the one's that have to go on the court and play the game. Sometimes the ladies don't play with the passion or heart from start to finish. I don't believe the coaches are responsible for the passion or heart issue. When you leave the locker room you don't have to be told to play hard for 32 minutes that comes with wearing an Eaglettes uniform.

So TRUE

At least that what I been told