WHY ARE THE REFS SO BAD THIS YEAR

jamieroper

Now of course High School is different so this probley would not apply but if the refs had to be interviewed after a game like have a press conference that would be right on point for accountability and probley the weaker refs would quit or be exposed . like i say its very unlikely in high school but it would i think help college and even pros if the refs had to answer questions after the game from the press

THE PROBLEM I SEE IN OFFIATING IS A REF MAKING A CALL OUT OF POSITION

OR TRYING TO SHOWBOAT.BUT I THINK IF WE HAD REPLAY THE REFS WOULD BE RIGHT MUCH MORE THAN WE THINK.AFTERALL HINDSIGHT IS 20-20 BUT THAT REF MAKES THE CALL INSTANTLY.(EARLIER IN LIFE MY TEAM NEVER LOST THE REF STOLE IT so i thought) HARD JOB LITTLE MONEY NO THANKS

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It just seems to me that if spectators pay $5 per person(usually 2-3 per family) that they should expect a good product-not one that ruins the main focus. I have watched very close games with good refs and walked away after losing knowing that the opposition was better than we were that day. I have watched close games where the refs were terrible and could not decide who the best team really was!

I have been to games where our fans and the other fans agreed how terrible some of the refs were. Why do TSSAA supervisors allow this? Maybe some of the supervisors need to be re-evaluated. I have seen games where superviors came to the game and laughed and giggled about spectator anger about fairness.

Some attention needs to be directed to this subject. Spectator frustration that is unsportsmanlike probably is caused because it is allowed to go on and on and lack of address of these issues by the proper authorities.

Just needing to vent.

It just seems to me that if spectators pay $5 per person(usually 2-3 per family) that they should expect a good product-not one that ruins the main focus. I have watched very close games with good refs and walked away after losing knowing that the opposition was better than we were that day. I have watched close games where the refs were terrible and could not decide who the best team really was!

I have been to games where our fans and the other fans agreed how terrible some of the refs were. Why do TSSAA supervisors allow this? Maybe some of the supervisors need to be re-evaluated. I have seen games where superviors came to the game and laughed and giggled about spectator anger about fairness.

Some attention needs to be directed to this subject. Spectator frustration that is unsportsmanlike probably is caused because it is allowed to go on and on and lack of address of these issues by the proper authorities.

Just needing to vent.

You must have been at the Walker Valley / McMinn County game last night where Larry, Curly and Moe were dressed in striped shirts. WV shot 24 FTs all game and McMinn Co shot 26 FTs in the 4th quarter alone. One newspaper reporter there covering the game said afterwards he moved off the baseline taking notes and pictures because he thought the "terrible 3" was going to call a foul on him because he had on a blue shirt. He said he was not listed in the scorebook so WV would probably get a technical. ;)

Personally, I pay $2.50 of my $5.00 to yell at the refs. This year I only have got my moneys worth once. We still won the game by 15. The games I have seen this year have been pretty fair called with the normal 4-5 bad calls. I may have just been lucky. But this year has been a whole lot better than last year. Hope it becomes a trend for refs to improve from year to year.

90% of calls the refs get right, maybe more. The bad thing is in a close game 1 bad one can make a difference. It is a tough job, as if you have never done it, especially in front of a large crowd, you have no idea how it is to be in that situation. I did see tonight a call by a young official. 22 was at 1/2 court. 43 had the ball and took a shot. 22 & 43 are on the same team. He called a foul for over the back on 22. The other team got the rebound and the player that got the rebound was the only player besides 43 that had crossed inside the 3 pt area as it was on a fast break. 22 was just crossing 1/2 court. There was a long discussion and I had time to rewind and see the tape. That was 22's 5th foul. It had no effect on the out come, but maybe some type of replay for certain situations. Maybe give the coaches 2 red flags a game or something.

Friday nite my daughter tried to save the ball on the baseline only about 3 feet off the corner of the backboard but the ball went out on the sideline about 15 feet up the floor. While doing this she landed wrong and hurt her knee and while she was on the floor crying one of the refs stood within a few feet of her waiting for someone to throw the ball back to him and when they did he just handed the ball to an opposing player so she could throw it in. If she had been a couple feet closer to the baseline I guess the ref and the other girl would have stepped on her but anyway she threw the ball in and up the floor they went, the ref never bothered to call time until everyone in the stands started yelling at him even tho it was already a dead ball. Then he actually had the nerve to try and throw me out just for saying that if he had actually been paying attention to the game he would have seen her on the floor. Here at Frank Hughes we very rairly see a game that is called fairly. I don't know if its because we're a small school and we're not suppose to beat the bigger schools or what. Not saying that the calls always makes us loose the game but in a game where we probably would have lost by 10 in a fairly called game, instead we'll loose by 30 because the other team in on the line all nite. It is this way for us at home and on the road. Our girls play aggressive and make some fouls but the 25-30 that get called every nite just doesn't happen and I know some teams are much better than us about not fouling as much but very rairly do you see a team that only commits about 10 fouls in the entire game like what we've been seeing. Like I said tho, most of the games we've lost we would have lost anyway but the games would have been alot closer if they were called right which would help our girls build a little confidence knowing that they can atleast hang in there with the bigger and better schools. And before someone makes the comment "why don't you try being a ref", let me say this. I have kids playing that I want to watch and who diserve having me there to give them support and even if I wanted to ref I couldn't because I'm disabled. I always try to keep an open mind and try to see the game both ways. I can stand to see us loose a game because we just got beat but I cann't stand to see kids nomatter what team their on get cheated.

Most on the time if you look at gamefilm, the refs were right on their calls around 95% of the time or better. Most of these guys do indeed try hard to do the best job they can. The better ones will tell you that no they will not see everything, nor will they get every call right, but that is what they strive for. Just as a player strives to hit every shot. During the time I did play-by-play, I would question a call, sometimes very loudly, and many times when I saw the game film I found that I was wrong. And sometimes I was right. Having been an official several years ago, I do know this, on every call one side will say good call, and the other side will say you blew the call. That is expected, as fans are after all pulling for their team. A hard lesson learned for me, in 16 years of broadcasting games, I can say that I did see a ref's call decide the outcome of the game a few times, but more times than not, that call late in the game would have had no effect on the outcome of the games if the three lay-ups had not been missed, or if they had not gone 10 of 24 from the line. Do they make mistakes, yes, but most work hard to do it right, not all but most do. Just one man's opinion

Spoke with an official who has been calling for over 15 years and he told me that as a group they are as bad as he has ever seen.

My opinion is there are two main problems or flaws:

1. A crew will either notice or be told by coach a foul count of 8 to 1 or 10 to 3 and instead of standing on their counts, they will begin equalizing the count so that at the end of the game it does not look lopsided. One team has still been in the bonus for a quarter or so so the catch up fouls rarely are meaningful.

2. There are officials , not crews, but individuals that favor a team. Yup, I said it, and I'll stand by it til I die. When this happens you hope that another ref on the crew balances the game.

Spoke with an official who has been calling for over 15 years and he told me that as a group they are as bad as he has ever seen.

My opinion is there are two main problems or flaws:

1. A crew will either notice or be told by coach a foul count of 8 to 1 or 10 to 3 and instead of standing on their counts, they will begin equalizing the count so that at the end of the game it does not look lopsided. One team has still been in the bonus for a quarter or so so the catch up fouls rarely are meaningful.

2. There are officials , not crews, but individuals that favor a team. Yup, I said it, and I'll stand by it til I die. When this happens you hope that another ref on the crew balances the game.

I will agree with number 1 but i can not agree with number 2 i think that MOST officials call it like they see it while some of their "judgements"may not be good i dont think that they would cheat a team on purpose...most of these guys are like us and that they have jobs and families but they enjoy the game and they pick up a little bit of side money i may not agree with their calls i will not question their charecture like you have in number 2.