Union City at Humboldt

JWhumboldt

This was an absolutely great high school basketball game...Humboldt comes out on top in this one in what I think was the best half of basketball they've played all year...they came out playing well in the first quarter, but after some turnovers and big shots by Union City, Humboldt found themselves down by as much as 16...Union City was up by 11 going into halftime, and picked up right where they left off at the beginning of the 3rd, extending their lead back up to around 15 or so...then Humboldt got on a run, got the crowd into it, and from that point, there was no stopping them...Toylon Smith stepped up, as I predicted he would, for 32 points tonight...Humboldt finally played to their full potential tonight on both sides of the ball as, in the fourth quarter, they scored 23 points while holding Union City to just 12...I felt that Humboldt did a good job defending Weddle for the most part...he almost never got an open look, but he still managed to drop 24 with six threes...If Humboldt can continue to play at this level, then they could go very far, but they can't get satisfied...they HAVE to stay hungry...they still have to play as if they have something to prove...Final score Humboldt 85 Union City 79...Great effort by both teams... :huh:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was a great game and anyone that missed it, you missed a good one. Humboldt gave an excellent effort and they never gave up. They played their hearts out and they deserved to win. When UC was up by 14 or so, I thought they had it. Humboldt just kept on pushing and finally got the lead with about 3 1/2 - 4 minutes to go in the game. Congrats on the win tonight and best of luck to you boys the rest of the season. So now what does this do in the district? I know UC has two losses, LC has one, and Humboldt has two. So, does that mean if LC wins tomorrow night at Trenton, that puts them in first? I think that is right, but if I'm wrong someone correct me.

If Humboldt, Lake County, and Union City win out in the district, it will come down to the Lake County and Humboldt game at the end of the season in Humboldt...if Humboldt wins, there'll be a 3-way tie for 1st and I'm not sure how in the world they're gonna work that out...but if Humboldt loses, Lake County 1st, Union City 2nd, Humboldt 3rd...This district has been everything it was hyped up to be and more...can't wait till that Lake County-Humboldt rematch...should be another good one... :huh:

Well red16 hit this one right on the head...Appearantly Toylon Smith was on a mission.....Union City usually doesn't blow big leads,but when you got two evenly matched teams,each will make runs at each other.....I have to tip my hat to the Vikings,they stepped it up,if they continue to play with the passion and energy they played with last night,they will be tought o beat...Should be some game between the Falcons and Vikings..... :thumb:

apparently i do know somethin punk...i called the game exactly right humboldt by 6 :lol::thumb:B)

There you go again with the name calling.....My lack of respect for you goes even farther now....As far as you knowin somethin....Even a blind squirrel will eventually find a nut....

As far as those mediocre Ducks go,I noticed where they lost to UCLA last night,at home,so are you going to be a man or teenager or whatever of your word and stay off the college threads for awhile,posting about a team absolutely NOBODY gives a rip about????

This was a stellar game last nite!! Two good teams going head to head in this one!! I thought Humboldt really stepped up defensively in second half of the game. That was the difference in the game (their defensive pressure late in the game). In the first half they werent guarding anybody (with the exception of Jackson on Weddle). The UC players were beating the Vikings off the dribble and getting offensive stick backs that propelled them to double digit lead at the end of the half.

Late in the second half that was totally different. Humboldts pressure and the fans really rattled the toronados down the stretch (ultimately the difference in the game). Also, Johnson's play off the bench was huge for the Vikings as he made sum big shots that kept the Vikings in striking distance.

This game was exactly played out like the first matchup in UC with the exception of key players from Humboldt being in foul trouble. In both games UC was up double figures and the Vikings battled back. The difference in these two games was that they didnt let Weddle get going earlier like he did in UC. Jackson (earlier in the game) and Johnson (late in the game) did great job defending Weddle (even though the kid made sum tough shots).

Huge game for Smith!! He proved to be unstoppable off the dribble; Johnson off the bench; Epperson underneath the basket; Jackson's defensive effort on Weddle. These factors contributed to a big win for the Vikings!!

Also, I was glad to see Humboldt beat UC with their key players (who sat out the game against Lake County). The fans were great on both sides with Humboldt and UC students sections cheering wildy. The atmosphere was electrying and similar to that of a big time college game!!

BIG WIN FOR THE VIKINGS!!

I havnt been posting much lately, but there are sum things that have kicked my bucket. I already made my mind on lake co. they stink. Humbolt good team. UC great team. Humbolt had everyone of their players on the floor, UC had 4 of their 5 most important players. when everyones team is set rosters right no team in the district can beat the Tornadoes. We will find that out in the district and the region tournament, In my opinion.

u-nv-me do us all a favor and continue not to post much. If Lake CO. stinks then the entire district must not be very good b/c they are in first for the time being. There is a lot of bball left to play but don't get on here and make Union City look bad by posting that type of trash. Backintheoc and others get on here and occasionally ride falcon fans but at least they show respect for the other teams in the region. So I will end by saying good luck to all 14-A teams and may the best teams win.

The lose might be the best thing for Union City. Now they don't have the weight of the world on their shoulders. Union City will also not be ranked for awhile. This helped the football team. I also believe that if UC breaks that zone Humbolt used at the end of the game UC will win the next one. That was the main factor keeping UC from winning.