Tullahoma Girl's Basketball

Shootmore

Just some quick research here on CoachT.

If Tullahoma loses against Shelbyville(which they will) next week, and then loses 1st rd of district(whick they will) against either Shelbyville or Columbia, that will be 43 straight district loses. OUCH!!!

The streak is currently at 41 straight loses. There last district win was Feb.7, 2002 at Franklin Co. How many other teams in Tennessee have lost that many district games in a row??

Here is the break down by seasons:

02-03 Season 7-17 (3-9)lost 4 district games after FC win

03-04 Season 1-28 (0-13) includes tourney 1st rd loss

04-05 Season 3-26 (0-13) includes tourney 1st rd loss

05-06 Season 2-17 (0-11) Shelbyville, Riverdale and Warren Co left to play

What is the problem? Some seem to think it is getting better with the new coach??

Only if they beat Warren Co(which isn't saying much) will they match last years record. To big of a sports town and too many athletes for Girls basketball not to compete in Tullahoma.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are at least playing harder than they have in the past :P Really they are!!

Wow! It would be tough to look forward to any district game with that kind of history.

I am kind of rooting for them to win one. Oh wait, they play Shelbyville and then Shelbyville/Columbia in the First round of the tournament.

As they say, there is always next year!!!

Tullahoma is known for its soccer program, baseball and football. Girls basketball is not at the top of the list. I do know that the girls play with heart. The team only has 2 tall girls the rest are average height. Coaching has been an issue in the past and the girls seem happy with the new coach. They are reloading for the years to come. The middle schools are showing a better program than in the past. THS only losses 2 this year and one of those girls is their point guard. I look forward to seeing the team in the years to come. Who knows they may win district some day. (there is always hope).

Let's try to keep this positive, talk about the improvements they've made if any (I don't know much about the program). No need to bash a program or team that's down.

I hope you didn't take my post as a bash on Tullahoma. I just think that it is interesting to look at the history of a program that has struggled and try to understand why it has stayed down for so long. Smyrna until about 2 years ago had not made it to the regional tournament in more than 15 years and had not had a winning season since about 1987. The thing that sent Smyrna in the downward spiral was the opening of LaVergne High School in 1988, which took away some of Smyrna's best talent. Smyrna has finally gotten things turned back around and maybe Tullahoma can do the same thing in the future.

they have made slight improvements they try to play defense for 2 or 3 quarters now but at least they have a coach who is trying the last coach was just collecting a paycheck the guy before him had great athletes but he ran them off i know east beat harris they have some good skilled players one has a chance to start next year west is all 7th graders and they have one great 6th grader next we might win one maybe i think in the 07/08 you will see them turn the corner and hopefully in 2009 and 2010 make a deep run in the playoffs

I hope you didn't take my post as a bash on Tullahoma. I just think that it is interesting to look at the history of a program that has struggled and try to understand why it has stayed down for so long. Smyrna until about 2 years ago had not made it to the regional tournament in more than 15 years and had not had a winning season since about 1987. The thing that sent Smyrna in the downward spiral was the opening of LaVergne High School in 1988, which took away some of Smyrna's best talent. Smyrna has finally gotten things turned back around and maybe Tullahoma can do the same thing in the future.

I didn't take it as such, but you know how some people can be. That was to them.

to the best of my knowledge, tullahoma hasnt fielded a good girl's team since dink whitaker's teams in the 70's. they have had some good middle school teams, but those have dissipated by the time they get thru high school.

dink's teams worked at it year-round, and were competitive with the area power programs of the day, manchester, mcminnville, and fayetteville.

today's tullahoma parents bristle at the suggestion the girls should put more effort into basketball, and proudly point out that the girls are "into" many things, and that they have a pretty good soccer team.

good athletes and/or a good coach is not enough. basketball is a skill oriented game, and tullahoma is stuck in a powerful district. they are willingly being outworked by the opposition. unless the culture changes, tullahoma will not enjoy any greater success.

I don't think this is just a recent phenomenon. I'd be interested to know how many winning seasons Tullahoma has had in the last 15-20 years. I know they were really bad in the early to mid 90's as well.

in 98/99 we were 25-7 that was the only year we beat shelbyville our coach that who i am trying forget about we won on a buzzer beater but anyways after the gmae insell came over to shake hands with coach sain instead sain ran around the stands acting like a idiot insell was still waiting for his hand shake but he never got it needless we went 1 and 6 after that

"in 98/99 we were 25-7 that was the only year we beat shelbyville "

i dont know how i forgot about that year.

werent those the girls where east and west both had a winning record as 8th graders??

east, as i recall, went 27-3.

seems like west was coached by a high school referee.

i havent lived in tullahoma since i graduated at the beginning of the dink whitaker era, but i still have family there, and some friends... one of whom had a daughter on that team. if you are associated with it, we probably know each other. i came and watched them play a number of times.

i remember the shelbyville game.