Tullahoma Girl's Basketball

Shootmore

I was told by someone in tullahoma that it will always be a track, baseball, softball, and every so oftern a Football town. Now way is that? With a town as big as it is way can they not put a basketball team together that would match others in the district? I know girls from there they play softball and soccer in the summer but not much basketball. WHY Again?

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to the best of my knowledge, tullahoma hasnt fielded a good girl's team since dink whitaker's teams in the 70's. they have had some good middle school teams, but those have dissipated by the time they get thru high school.

dink's teams worked at it year-round, and were competitive with the area power programs of the day, manchester, mcminnville, and fayetteville.

today's tullahoma parents bristle at the suggestion the girls should put more effort into basketball, and proudly point out that the girls are "into" many things, and that they have a pretty good soccer team.

good athletes and/or a good coach is not enough. basketball is a skill oriented game, and tullahoma is stuck in a powerful district. they are willingly being outworked by the opposition. unless the culture changes, tullahoma will not enjoy any greater success.

Coach Whiitaker had practice almost every day, including summer. That was before full court play, girls soccer and softball. Coach Whittaker was hard on the girls, but they won. went to the state seevral times. Back in those days, Warren Co and Tullahoma and Lebanon were all tough teams.

I was told by someone in tullahoma that it will always be a track, baseball, softball, and every so oftern a Football town. Now way is that? With a town as big as it is way can they not put a basketball team together that would match others in the district? I know girls from there they play softball and soccer in the summer but not much basketball. WHY Again?

SideTrain

I had a post on another thread about how I thought a child should choose a sport by age ten and stick with it if they wanted to compete and play at a higher level. It did not get much if any support but it did get a lot of negatives. I have watched Tullahoma for the past five years and it always seems to me that I see a court full of athletic bodies that never touched a basketball until their later years. I guess maybe they made their choice at a early age to focus on another sport. I am very impressed with their track program and know they have plenty of athletes in that town, just wish more of them liked basketball.

HOOPS TO YA!!!!!!!!

kw

Give Coach a chance. Katie Galloway was a great high school player and a very good college player @ UTC. She comes from a basketball Coaching family. This is her first year. Give her time she will win. The talent will come.Peace.

I agree, she does need some time. What is a fair amount?

Look, I have seen Tullahoma play many times and this years team does play harder AND smarter than teams in the past., BUT you cannot come into a program that has went something like 14-72 in the past couple of years. Being a Warren Co fan, we have never done anything since we left 6 on 6 in 1979. The coach looks like she preaches running, rebounding, and defense pretty good. Remember, you play in one of the top three districts in AAA. Columbia wasn't good for a while until Coach Moore came in. Give it some time. At least you have a new coach and not a retread like us in WC.

What are the numbers at your school. can you go AA? I would hate to be in your District and trying to rebuild. Don't get me wrong, you will get better quicker but you can play a majority of those teams anyway since your in their backyard anyway. But dang!!! you need to win sometime, for the spirit and I mean the internal spirit.

What are the numbers at your school. can you go AA? I would hate to be in your District and trying to rebuild. Don't get me wrong, you will get better quicker but you can play a majority of those teams anyway since your in their backyard anyway. But dang!!! you need to win sometime, for the spirit and I mean the internal spirit.

nope

• 8 months later...

this season anything less than a 10 win will disappoint me

the talent is there is just time that we start using it

coach galloway seemed little frustrated today but she has the girls on track and we almost pulled out a win

Edited by mjuhb