Girl in Alaska wins state tourney

stovepipe

I would hate to lose to a girl but it sure would be fun wrestling one of them! She might even be cute. Maybe they could offer the guy a mask so know one knew who he was. I bet then all the boys would be talking the female friends to go out for the sport. Someone commented about how a boy would not want to be on a girl's volleyball team. Are you kidding? Have you seen their uniforms?

If a girl wants to risk getting her butt kicked then let her. If a boy is too scared to lose and refuses to wrestle her, doesn't that defeat the whole pupose of wrestling: overcoming adversity. Besides, these boys will have to compete with girls in the work place anyway. What better way to learn how to work harder to win after losing to a girl. Fear of catching he77 from your buddies is no reason to not let girls wrestle. That logic has not prevented women from running against men in politics.

Let the girls wrestle. Make sure they wear appropiate padding. Besides, I always thought it was strange how wrestlers have to do the crotch grab to stop from getting reversed anyway. I find it enormously more appropiate that a boy thows that move on a girl than on another boy.

I can see the bumber sticker now: My wrestling daughter can kick your Honor Roll son's butt

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a girl wants to risk getting her butt kicked then let her. If a boy is too scared to lose and refuses to wrestle her, doesn't that defeat the whole pupose of wrestling: overcoming adversity. Besides, these boys will have to compete with girls in the work place anyway. What better way to learn how to work harder to win after losing to a girl. Fear of catching he77 from your buddies is no reason to not let girls wrestle. That logic has not prevented women from running against men in politics.

That is the point, if a wrestler is not man enough to step up and wrestle a girl then he does not know how to overcome adversity. By not allowing girls to wrestle on available teams we could eventually jepordize our own. Title IX has eliminated many sports to provide equality, I do not agree witht he way title IX has been implemented, but it may be in our best interests to accept girls on the current guys teams untill a successful girls division can be formed. Even then, what if a girl wants better comeptition, could she wrestle with the guys, that is the coaches choice. For a wrestler to get better they must wrestle better opponents. If I am not mistaken there is womens wrestling in the olympics. How could a wrestler get to that level without available girls teams. I understand that Halls had a tournament, and 4 girls came, wow, that competition must have been grueling. I agree that it was probably more fair than them having to wrestle guys that day, and I am sure they gave it their all, but imagine if they could not wrestle guys, all they would see was each other and maybe a few more over and over again throughout the year. Is there an established female team with enough competition at this point and time. If so I have not heard of it, in that case let them wrestle with the guys, if they work just as hard are than any less of a wrestler. I would venture to guess that some girls would try harder than there male counterparts to succeed in some insatnces. I would rather see a dedicated girl giving it her all than a guy going out there to play around and not wrestle. I believe that the main reason people are against it is not because of the safety of the girl but because the fear that their son or wrestler will lose to a girl and quit. Are we really that afraid of girls in our sport. If we are so dominate then why fear losing to them. Like I said before, if you lose to a girl go bust your butt and get better as you would with any opponent. I agree for a guy it is a lose lose situation. I have wrestled 5 girls on the mat, I won but did I win a huge victory, probably not, but those were 5 wins not 5 loses. Had I lost things would have been worse, but I would not of quit. So what I beat a girl, I just got the job done for the team. We need to let girls have the oppurtunity to wrestle untill they get a COMPETITIVE DIVISION for girls started. By competitive I do not mean 4 girl round robins at a tournament. They need a TSSAA sponsored division, or they should wrestle with the guys. AAU is not a school sport, it is in essence a club usually based out of a school. Girls have AAU now they need a school team. I do not see that happening so untill then girls are allowed and welcome to any team as far as I am concerned.

You scared men miss MCwrestler's point. Wrestling will never be overtaken by girls but girls volleyball and girls softball could very well be taken over by boys. Is not a fair comparison. They let boys be cheerleaders and yet they will never take over that sport. You have to look at it in a case by case basis.

And besides, why should we limit this incredible character building sport to just boys. Build more character and self esteem in girls and you will see teen age pregnacy, suicide rates, etc. etc drop to all time lows.

Don't be afraid of the girls, they wont bite.

You scared men miss MCwrestler's point. Wrestling will never be overtaken by girls but girls volleyball and girls softball could very well be taken over by boys. Is not a fair comparison. They let boys be cheerleaders and yet they will never take over that sport. You have to look at it in a case by case basis.

And besides, why should we limit this incredible character building sport to just boys. Build more character and self esteem in girls and you will see teen age pregnacy, suicide rates, etc. etc drop to all time lows.

YOU MISSED THE POINT!!!!LET THEM BUILD CHARACTER ON THEIR OWN TEAM!

Just like the boys do on the Boy's Baseball Team, Boy's BB Team ETC.

I am not against girls wrestling but not on the same team as the MEN. When you have a daughter of your own, then come back and tell me how you feel about it.

Well if we shouldn't "limit this incredible character building sport to just boys" then why should we limit the opportunities for boys to play volleyball and softball? While I personally don't agree with girls wrestling boys, I have a bigger problem when others will debate why girls should be given opportunities and ignore the opportunities that boys are not given.

My 4th grade daughter has more potential to win a state championship in a boys or girls league than my Butt kicking high school son may have. She chooses to not wrestle......so far. She is wiry, fast, strong, and absolutly adorable and is who my son tries out all his new moves on (gently or I'll kill him).

You have every right to try and keep girls out of wrestling and I am not pushing for my girls to get into it. BUT, if they or any girl ever had the audasity to go out for wrestling, run for president, vote, or burn their bra, who are any of us to say no. The attitude to stop girls from seeking out opportunities reminds me of the little boy who took his ball home because he didn't get to be the quarterback.

Yes an all girls league is the answer in the long run. But, in the short run, they have to walk before they run. I always tell my boy that if he ever has to wrestle a girl and he is uncomfortable he should forfeit. But, I would be proader if he stunk it up and went out on the mat. Several of his buddies faced that challenge this year and faced it with pride as they stuck their female opponets to the mat. Why don't we ask those that have actually wrestled girls what they think?

I really do think we are blowing this out of porpotion. Its that Alaskan State Champ that's got so many scared. Here is the reality: girls are wrestling on boy's teams right now in the Chattanooga Valley. I think its too late to stop them.

Edited by allsaints

if a guy loses to a girl...hes ruined for life.(no offense ladies) its just a pride thing to lose to a girl. And most of all, your guy friends would never, well maybe eventually, quit picking and making fun of you. now im not sayin that girls shouldnt wrestle. i think they should be able to wrestle, but they must wrestle other girls. i know it can take away from a guys moves when hes wrestlin b/c he doesnt want to touch his female opponent in inapropriate places, but if girls are wrestling girls and guys are wrestling guys then there is no worrying to it.

Ditto here.

I wonder if special training shouldn't be required to help our young men ignore the natural feelings and hormones they may have while competing? Could it be possible that the chemistry difference may be a little distracting for most wrestlers to execute the moves they know best?

Maybe this is more about the entertainment value to those who supports it. Perhaps there are other ulterior motives here as our young women can have plenty of challenge in other sports, including football or boy's basketball.

Discuss.

I say no.

Otherwise, I demand a spot on the volleyball team.

As I've stated previously, a competitor MUST wrestle whoever is placed in the circle with him. Anything less is less. My point is... the hardest I ever saw one of my guys wrestle is when he had to wrestle a certain Georgia girl from Jackson Co. a few years ago in one of the FCI tournaments. I guarantee a lot of you parents and wrestlers remember Kelsey Scott (Boo Scott's / Woodland / cousin). She was the son her Daddy had not yet had (even though she looked like a 75 lb princess in a singlet w/sports bra) and she was BAD TO THE BONE. She beat so many boys it started to not be "shameful" if you lost to her. Now granted, my guy had the capacity to "slack" every once in a while if he was in the mood. Well he wasn't "in the mood" that day. It was either win or commit suicide for him. He came after her like the Tasmanian Devil on crank. I think they defaulted after the 3rd injury time-out. She definitely inspired him to WORK. She is a lovely prom queen type today so I guess she survived. The bad news is her daddy finally had that son. Watch out!

I coach a very competitive female wrestler. She has earned her varsity spot the past two seasons (neither of which were at 103) and is one of the hardest workers in our room day after day. She has even earned a captain's spot on our team. However....

In my opinion, it is a lose-lose situation for every boy she wrestles. If they win, "Wow, you beat a girl". If they lose...ouch. And we have seen a lot of "ouches" this season. I would much rather see our female athletes facing other females. TSSAA be darned. At least one other state (Texas maybe...somebody help me out) has a female wrestling division. I believe we would have a lot more females interested if it were an all girl team. It must be intimidating to join a program of guys trying to kill you. Case in point: Soddy vs. Red Bank Every year, those programs invite girls at their schools to practice for a few weeks to compete at a fundraiser. Sounds silly, but they get serious. Not to mention there are 30+ girls a side that come out. So, IMO, the argument about too little female interest is weak.

By the way, our girl will be competing at McGavock in the female tournament. I would like to see more of that kind of thing to promote even more interest. Maybe, just maybe, in the next couple of years we will see enough interest to get TSSAA to concede to a female division.