Eligiblilty question

CosbyEagle

1st of all this is just a rhetorical question. I don't know of any players who are considering transfering. Just trying to settle a disagreement.

Player X has played a full year on the freshman team. Would he/she be eligible to transfer and immediately play at another school in the same county..??

There will not be an address change.

Another factor is; Since the freshman season is over, would dressing out/playing

the remaining JV games be a factor...??

Thanks in advance for responses. I thought somebody here might have had an experience with this type of situation.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cosby[/url]Eagle' post='825935005' date='Feb 11 2006 - 12:06 PM']

1st of all this is just a rhetorical question. I don't know of any players who are considering transfering. Just trying to settle a disagreement.

Player X has played a full year on the freshman team. Would he/she be eligible to transfer and immediately play at another school in the same county..??

Another factor is; Since the freshman season is over, would dressing out/playing

Thanks in advance for responses. I thought somebody here might have had an experience with this type of situation.

I'm pretty sure there would have to be an address change otherwise the player would have to sit one full year. Not exactly sure on the rules governing freshman teams if they are inclusive with varsity or not. But i would think there would have to be an address change or otherwise the player in question would have to sit out one full year. :thumb:

Cosby[/url]Eagle' post='825935005' date='Feb 11 2006 - 12:06 PM']

Player x could go to any school of his,her choice the freshman year..doesn't matter if it's out of county or not..Once he,she is enrolled at that school, they are at that school and cannot play at another school unless a move is made or the player decides to sit out one year..It sounds like this player is already living in this county and didn't go to the school they were zoned to go to..So..more than likely a move wouldn't be made and the player would have to sit for a year.

Edited by mrbigster

Without a physical change of address, the player must sit out 12 months from the day of the last practice or game. If a players last day was March 1, 2006.......... You cannot move to another school and start playing on November 1 2006................... You must wait a full calender year and would not be elgible until March 2, 2007. This happened to us 2 years ago!

Edited by Courtside

Without a physical change of address, the player must sit out 12 months from the day of the last practice or game. If a players last day was March 1, 2006.......... You cannot move to another school and start playing on November 1 2006................... You must wait a full calender year and would not be elgible until March 2, 2007. This happened to us 2 years ago!

I think it's the last day of competition, not practice. And freshman games count as competition.

We,ve had a couple situations in our area similiar ti this..One at Lake Co..I go to all their games and am familiar with all that goes on there..I live in Dyer Co and work in Dyer Co so I pretty well know what goes on here..First,Lake Co had a star football player went to Dyer Co his freshman year but he lives in Lake Co...Rumour the past year or two was that he wanted to come back to Lake Co..But..because he didn't make a move..he can't come back and play for Lake Co without sitting out a year..Now..he is a junior so he's done even if he wanted to come back to Lake Co..The Dyer Co situation is a player has been playing at Dyersburg ,where is is now a sophomore..He has been playing quite a bit but quit the team before Christmas,along with two other players.He wants to go to Dyer Co and play..The coach told him he wasn't going to release him...I work with his uncle in the same office and I told him the only way for him to play this year is to move because the schools are in the same county...I told him he could enroll at Dyer Co this year and be eligible after the Christmas break next year..But..the two principals have a mutual agreement not to let a student transfer from one school to the other without moving..So..I told him that if they do this that not only would he may have to sit out this year..that Dyersburg may say he was enrolled in their school system all year and he may not get to play next year..His parents checked on this with the Dyer Co officials and the TSSAA to see what was going on..They were told the Dyersburg coach was still carrying him on their roster and the superintendent told the Dyersburg coach to take these players off the roster so he can play at Dyer Co after the Christmas break..So..evidently it must be the last date you played ball at the school system..Because he is still at Dyersburg at the moment,just not playing ball..

Edited by mrbigster

The decision when they can play is not up to the coaches, superintendent or any other school official. If you are a member of TSSAA, once you have practiced with a team for three days, you cannot play for another school for 12 months unless you physically change address, whether you ever play a game or not. Now that does not mean it does not happen, we all know it does all the time, BUT not with the approval of TSSAA. Just remember anything that TSSAA ever tells you, be sure to get it in writing.

Edited by Courtside

Cosby[/url]Eagle' post='825935138' date='Feb 11 2006 - 01:55 PM']

I'm going to make the situation more specific.

Even if Player X did not participate in the varsity games this year at all,

wouldn't the 12 month rule only apply to the varsity at the school where they transfer..?? Would Player X be eligible for JV games..??

It has been my experience the transfer CAN play in JV games the next year just not in varsity games.

Cosby[/url]Eagle' post='825935138' date='Feb 11 2006 - 02:55 PM']

I'm going to make the situation more specific.

Even if Player X did not participate in the varsity games this year at all,

wouldn't the 12 month rule only apply to the varsity at the school where they transfer..?? Would Player X be eligible for JV games..??

I'll get even more specific <_< if this is the same situation that I think you're talking about (a past one) - then...

In this situation, Player X played his freshman year at one high school and then transferred just after their season was over (something like this time of year)...

With that transfer without a bonafide change of address, Player X was not-eligible to play for the varsity team at his new school for one full calendar year.

However, Player X played for the JV squad and once that calendar year was up he was a big factor on the varsity squad throughout the remainder of the tournaments.

I'm not quite sure if he was eligible for JV that year, I've not looked that up - but either it was and he played on JV or he wasn't and the school he transferred from let it slide.

Same season (freshman team at one HS, then transfer and play JV in the same season) would be a bit far fetched since the freshman season usually ends right around the last 1-2 games of the JV/Varsity regular season.