7AA First team

stuntwoman

I've been hearing this "Politics" thing since I was in school and although it may be true to a very small extent, here is my take on it. When you asked some of the guys who were pretty good players why they were not on the team, you usually heard "coach Vaughn wouldn't let me play". ( Yeah, I'm that old!) When in reality most of these guys were unwilling to abide by his strict rules. Don't know how it has been lately but that's how it was then, and we did pretty well without them! If you will look back a few years, we have been in the state a few times! I've seen quite a few players without political clout do very well at LA!

You just told your age didn't you..... all jokes aside whether we want to admit it or not this has went on in our county. Do you remember Jason Medows 1990-93 he went to Byrdstown??? He was one of the best to come through Overton Co. it was a shame he went to Byrdstown for “whatever reason”. I do know this…Jason didn’t have discipline issues …he was one of the nicest guys I had ever meet.

Back to the coaching debate…I think McCoin & Melton have both done a great job…we all need to remember we are on the same side. I am glad Chase Dunn has proven himself …now maybe everyone will quit saying Richard is just taking care of his Allons boys. Richard will play the best player…that’s a fact.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You just told your age didn't you..... all jokes aside whether we want to admit it or not this has went on in our county. Do you remember Jason Medows 1990-93 he went to Byrdstown??? He was one of the best to come through Overton Co. it was a shame he went to Byrdstown for “whatever reason”. I do know this…Jason didn’t have discipline issues …he was one of the nicest guys I had ever meet.

Back to the coaching debate…I think McCoin & Melton have both done a great job…we all need to remember we are on the same side. I am glad Chase Dunn has proven himself …now maybe everyone will quit saying Richard is just taking care of his Allons boys. Richard will play the best player…that’s a fact.

That is a fact. I have a great amount of respect for Coach Melton, and he will play the better players. I am glad that he FINALLY has the job at LA. As far as the comment about Casey beating LA, I believe they did at Clay. Anyways, at LA they did not play the best game, no excuse, just the facts, they played bad, and LA has a better coach now. As far as the Melton-McCoin debate that got this started, the past four years, we went 3-1 against LA, losing only 1 game in four years against a AA team, which should have been good, and that 1 game we lost was in Overtime. Go figure on that one. I am proud of all we accomplished in the past four years, and what Casey helped accomplish last year, and what they will this year. 3 straight trips to the district, region finals, and Sub-state can speak for itself. We don't have to prove anything to you people on here, I respect LA basketball, and am very glad that the program is improving, with the hiring of Coach Melton. I also have many friends at LA, and that have graduated from LA, and remember for a long time people coming up to me (the way they do Casey now) and saying that we should be playing at LA, and also saying that we would be a good help to the team. People in Livingston know how it is there, and almost anyone, the unbiased especially, would admit the way things have been in the past, and I for one am glad to seeing this improving. By the way a single A team should rarely beat a double A team. This being said I think our record proves that something at LA has not been up to par in the past 4 years. 3-1. Good Luck Cats in the REGION and after that.

That is a fact. I have a great amount of respect for Coach Melton, and he will play the better players. I am glad that he FINALLY has the job at LA. As far as the comment about Casey beating LA, I believe they did at Clay. Anyways, at LA they did not play the best game, no excuse, just the facts, they played bad, and LA has a better coach now. As far as the Melton-McCoin debate that got this started, the past four years, we went 3-1 against LA, losing only 1 game in four years against a AA team, which should have been good, and that 1 game we lost was in Overtime. Go figure on that one. I am proud of all we accomplished in the past four years, and what Casey helped accomplish last year, and what they will this year. 3 straight trips to the district, region finals, and Sub-state can speak for itself. We don't have to prove anything to you people on here, I respect LA basketball, and am very glad that the program is improving, with the hiring of Coach Melton. I also have many friends at LA, and that have graduated from LA, and remember for a long time people coming up to me (the way they do Casey now) and saying that we should be playing at LA, and also saying that we would be a good help to the team. People in Livingston know how it is there, and almost anyone, the unbiased especially, would admit the way things have been in the past, and I for one am glad to seeing this improving. By the way a single A team should rarely beat a double A team. This being said I think our record proves that something at LA has not been up to par in the past 4 years. 3-1. Good Luck Cats in the REGION and after that.

Let it go! Melton does a good job and McCoin did a good job. You say you have friends at LA, well you are losing them fast. Coach McCoin is well thought of in this school. Go back to bashing Coach Edwards and leave us alone.

I remember him but I have no idea what the situation was there. I didn't even know he was from Overton County. I was just refering to how the "politics" excuse was used when I was in school---a long time ago!!!