Bethel has solid recruiting class

wardawg2038

What did they do to turn the tide? Growing up, Bethel wasn't really that good. Next thing I know they are ranked in the Top 25 in football, and have solid recruiting classes in both football and baseball. What caused the change?

I think the biggest factor is football is coaching and facilities. The new stadium is plush for an NAIA program. The coaching staff has done a very good job of recruiting. Also...the president and administration is very supportive of athletics. They give as much scholarship money as anyone. The president came to the softball nationals to see the team play. That meant a lot to the girls.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did they do to turn the tide? Growing up, Bethel wasn't really that good. Next thing I know they are ranked in the Top 25 in football, and have solid recruiting classes in both football and baseball. What caused the change?

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that they can offer scholarships now. When K.R. and I signed with Bethel the most they could offer you was a $1500 a year grant-in-aid scholarship. Which is not that much at Bethel, and why I couldn't attend there like a lot of players that signed when I did. Most of the players that signed did so because they would start or play a lot as a freshmen. A few people left after a year or so and went to Lambuth to sign for more scholarship money. A lot more went elsewhere. They always had decent players but werent able to keep a lot of them. But now they have a lot to offer football players, and I think it made a difference. Also, they couldnt keep a head coach. Dick Adams, Ralf Fergurson, and Coach Johnson all coached that team within the time K.R. was there.

I think the biggest factor is football is coaching and facilities. The new stadium is plush for an NAIA program. The coaching staff has done a very good job of recruiting. Also...the president and administration is very supportive of athletics. They give as much scholarship money as anyone. The president came to the softball nationals to see the team play. That meant a lot to the girls.

You are right about the facilities and the coaching. This had been a goal of Dr. Prosser's ever since he became President. It started from the top.

Edited by wingman10

Well, I'd still have to rank them the #2 small college (non D-1) team in the state behind C-N, but I'm glad for the school that they have turned things around. Hopefully the football team can make a playoff appearance this year.

They play at DII Tusculum on Aug. 24th. That one should be interesting.

Bethel got a huge donation from a widow that died a few years after her husband died. I believe he was a doctor or lawyer and had went to bethel for his undergrad back in the day. He loved sports and wanted some money donated when he died. I think she donated 2 million after she died. That really got the ball rolling for them. And they have great administration there to support the growth.

Bethel got a huge donation from a widow that died a few years after her husband died. I believe he was a doctor or lawyer and had went to bethel for his undergrad back in the day. He loved sports and wanted some money donated when he died. I think she donated 2 million after she died. That really got the ball rolling for them. And they have great administration there to support the growth.

That'll do it! I knew that despite having a pro-sports administration that they needed some major catalyst to get the ball going.

I might drive up to Greeneville for that game. We'll have to see how it is going at that time, but it's a possibility.

Is the TransSouth going to offer football too, or what league will they be affiliated with?

That'll do it! I knew that despite having a pro-sports administration that they needed some major catalyst to get the ball going.

I might drive up to Greeneville for that game. We'll have to see how it is going at that time, but it's a possibility.

Is the TransSouth going to offer football too, or what league will they be affiliated with?

They are in the Mid-South Conference. The teams are

East Division

Cumberlands Ky., Georgetown Ky, Pikeville Ky,

Union Ky, UVA-Wise, West Virginia Tech

West Division

Belhaven Ms, Bethel Tn, Campbellsville Ky,

Cumberland Tn, Lambuth Tn, Shorter Ga.