Freshman & Sophomore State Championships

Eagles09

As a parent, I absolutely agree. Very, very inefficient. Late in starting the wrestling, what was the point in preregistering? They kept having to "adjust" the brackets which provided delays in wrestling.

I also have the following observations:

1. Someone take the microphone from the head table. The guy was just obnoxious especially since they apparently had radios to communicate with the staff but apparently chose to use the PA system for tournament communications.

2. If the rules state that singlets are not to have school logos on them, then they should either enforce the rules or NOT have the rules. I know a lot of parents spent $40+ dollars in the week leading up to the tournament to buy new singlets. When we got to the tournament, there were school logos all over singlets with no apparent penalty.

I appreciate your opinion about the tournament and I will keep your suggestions as ways to improve in the future.

The delays in preparing the brackets came from wrestlers who were entered in the wrong weight classes or wrong age division. My choice would have been to eliminate those wrestlers from competing because they either did not make weight or did not inform us of the incorrect information when they picked up their weigh in cards. The weighin cards clearly showed what weight they registered and what grade level that they were registered in. They were also color coded. White cards for Sophomores and yellow cards for Freshmen. We had several kids who did not make the weight that they entered and we were asked by their coaches to allow them to wrestle. This would not have happened during the TSSAA season. What do you suppose the fall out would have been if we had not allowed them to participate. Given 4 lbs over the regular weight class should have been enough. However I think some of the kids thought it would be best to cut weight and then either did not get the weight off or decided not to try. The point is that they should have entered the weight they intended to wrestle.

As for the singlet issue, the only singlets that I am aware that may have had a "school" name on them were Tullahoma's singlets. Tullahoma Takedown Club uses singlets with the word Tullahoma on them. These singlets were approved for use by TWF last season.

I apologize for the inconvenience of using the microphone to contact "our workers" we had one set of 2 radios to communicate with the floor. If that one radio was not on the floor, then we needed to use the PA system to communicate with the tournament workers.

We also truly appreciate the group of parents, wrestlers and coaches as well as the Franklin High cheerleaders who volunteered to work at the tables until we had some wrestlers who were eliminated from the tournament agree to help. Table workers are always needed so if you would be willing to help in future tournaments, please volunteer. This helps keep the tournament running.

I did not want to shutdown the 3 mats when we did but in order to allow time for the workers to have a break we had to do so. With more volunteers, we would not have needed to do that.

There was a lot of great wrestling in this tournament. The future of Tennessee wrestling looks bright based on those who competed. What will make Tennessee even better is if we can develop a strong support base that will be willing to step in and help keep the tournaments moving so that others who have volunteered their time can be refreshed.

In the future, I think that we will have Friday night weighins at Club registration time. If a wrestler is unsure of his weight he/she would want to come Friday night and check, if he/she does not make the weight entered during preregistration, he/she would have the option of trying to make weight on Saturday morning or changing their weight class Friday night. The other option would be that if they do not make weight, they do not wrestle.

If you truly know me, you will know that I was as disappointed about the time schedule as you were. I value your input and make every effort to work with you who provide positive constructive criticism.

Have a great season.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate your opinion about the tournament and I will keep your suggestions as ways to improve in the future.

The delays in preparing the brackets came from wrestlers who were entered in the wrong weight classes or wrong age division. My choice would have been to eliminate those wrestlers from competing because they either did not make weight or did not inform us of the incorrect information when they picked up their weigh in cards. The weighin cards clearly showed what weight they registered and what grade level that they were registered in. They were also color coded. White cards for Sophomores and yellow cards for Freshmen. We had several kids who did not make the weight that they entered and we were asked by their coaches to allow them to wrestle. This would not have happened during the TSSAA season. What do you suppose the fall out would have been if we had not allowed them to participate. Given 4 lbs over the regular weight class should have been enough. However I think some of the kids thought it would be best to cut weight and then either did not get the weight off or decided not to try. The point is that they should have entered the weight they intended to wrestle.

As for the singlet issue, the only singlets that I am aware that may have had a "school" name on them were Tullahoma's singlets. Tullahoma Takedown Club uses singlets with the word Tullahoma on them. These singlets were approved for use by TWF last season.

I apologize for the inconvenience of using the microphone to contact "our workers" we had one set of 2 radios to communicate with the floor. If that one radio was not on the floor, then we needed to use the PA system to communicate with the tournament workers.

We also truly appreciate the group of parents, wrestlers and coaches as well as the Franklin High cheerleaders who volunteered to work at the tables until we had some wrestlers who were eliminated from the tournament agree to help. Table workers are always needed so if you would be willing to help in future tournaments, please volunteer. This helps keep the tournament running.

I did not want to shutdown the 3 mats when we did but in order to allow time for the workers to have a break we had to do so. With more volunteers, we would not have needed to do that.

There was a lot of great wrestling in this tournament. The future of Tennessee wrestling looks bright based on those who competed. What will make Tennessee even better is if we can develop a strong support base that will be willing to step in and help keep the tournaments moving so that others who have volunteered their time can be refreshed.

In the future, I think that we will have Friday night weighins at Club registration time. If a wrestler is unsure of his weight he/she would want to come Friday night and check, if he/she does not make the weight entered during preregistration, he/she would have the option of trying to make weight on Saturday morning or changing their weight class Friday night. The other option would be that if they do not make weight, they do not wrestle.

If you truly know me, you will know that I was as disappointed about the time schedule as you were. I value your input and make every effort to work with you who provide positive constructive criticism.

Have a great season.

If you know Brad, then you will know that he means what he says and will do everything within his power to please everyone. We all know that's next to impossible, but he tries. Great job Brad!! :lol:

Thank you - Coach Coffee & McGavock High School for stepping up and allowing us to hold this event at your school.

Thank you - Brad Fiscus for setting up the online entry and providing 'mat control' services. When kids can't make weight, you are always accommodating and allow for weight changes. It is unfortunate that not everyone understands what this means - delayed start times and running late into the evening. My suggestions for next year -

• Run the membership registration as we did this year.
  • Allow entries to be paid on Friday night & Saturday morning – however if an athlete does not make weight they are not allowed to bump up a weight class nor will their entry be refunded.
  • Allow weigh in on Friday night & Saturday morning

Thank you - Officials from Chattanooga & Nashville area for working your tails off. This was a tougher event for you than last year due to more mats to officiate with the same number of officials. I do appreciate your continued support to our wrestling programs and events. You guys are the best! My suggestions for next year –

• If we continue to run on 6 mats, we need to have 12 – 14 officials on hand to work it appropriately.

Thank you – Table workers for doing such a great job and working so hard.

Special Thanks – spectators who stepped forward to help us when we asked for your assistance! It is when folks help each other that we learn the most about our wrestling family and learn more from each other.

My apologies to the Coaches that I had to call to the head table late in the event! It is very unfortunate that regardless of the event there are always children left unattended and run through out the facilities. To the parents of these children – your children had been called down numerous times for being in places that they did not belong.

I would like to extend my apologies to spectators, coaches & officials who were asking for information that I could not provide. It is unfortunate that we did not have more TWF board members in attendance. This year there were only a few of us in attendance – 1 coaching and 2 working the event.

For those you have voiced their concerns regarding the event this year, we will do what we can to improve it. I would like to encourage you to get involved with our organization – we are always looking for great ideas to improve the way things have been done.

Edited by EChason

yes it was a long day for everyone, but i am sure brad and his team will get it right as this tournament progresses...

and...there were some very good wrestlers here that will be standouts in the future...chanse haynes...shawn garrett...brett shields...michael goodrum...justin cash...harold gage...marcus reagan...just to name a few...

and...alot of kids involved in wrestling and i am sure alot who chose not to attend...

i look forward to the day when this is the 2nd biggest wrestling event in the state of tenn. next to the state championships in chatt. that would be huge for tenn. wrestling...vision and all the coaches getting on board to bring their guys to make the tournament VERY legitimate.

and i thought the refs worked incredibly hard...all day long...and did a really good job overall...they definitly earned their money...

one suggestion to add to the others on this board: more food in the hospitality room... :lol: ...i certainly don't need anymore but i do love to eat... ;)

yes it was a long day for everyone, but i am sure brad and his team will get it right as this tournament progresses...

and...there were some very good wrestlers here that will be standouts in the future...chanse haynes...shawn garrett...brett shields...michael goodrum...justin cash...harold gage...marcus reagan...just to name a few...

and...alot of kids involved in wrestling and i am sure alot who chose not to attend...

i look forward to the day when this is the 2nd biggest wrestling event in the state of tenn. next to the state championships in chatt. that would be huge for tenn. wrestling...vision and all the coaches getting on board to bring their guys to make the tournament VERY legitimate.

and i thought the refs worked incredibly hard...all day long...and did a really good job overall...they definitly earned their money...

one suggestion to add to the others on this board: more food in the hospitality room... :lol: ...i certainly don't need anymore but i do love to eat... :lol:

I see that your son Josh had an awesome day at the Fresh/State Jeff, and I know your proud and very excited about the future of wrestling in Tennessee and at Blackman High. Your always positive approach to the sport and your character on this board in general really rubs off on the people around you. Cant wait to cheer beside you in the near future!!! :lol:

I see that your son Josh had an awesome day at the Fresh/State Jeff, and I know your proud and very excited about the future of wrestling in Tennessee and at Blackman High. Your always positive approach to the sport and your character on this board in general really rubs off on the people around you. Cant wait to cheer beside you in the near future!!! :unsure:

Mr. Patton is an impressive person with a million dollar personality. Great to see Josh continue to succeed!! See you guys tonight with at least one of my remaining two.

The tourny is a work in progress. Not all worked out to its best arrangement YET. Time will tell just how big of an event how well it can be conducted.

Big improvement on wrestling from last year. I do believe with the tweeks that Ellie has proposed will adhere to the outlook of this event.

I want to restate what she has said "Any help from others is greatly appreciated in running these events".

Look forward to next year and having a smooth day of wrestling, wait make that a weekend of wrestling with it beign done on Fri and Sat.