TSSAA and Band

TG24

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trust me you wouldnt want them messing with the state championship. It's fine the way it is. The only thing that could come of the T$$AA being over the band championship is a headache.

You could be right, but it would bring much needed orignaization, and there is no "Championship" now. It would be nice for us to be able to say we were part of a TSSAA sanctioned event.

humm good point but i think that MTSBOA (middle tennesse school band and orchestra association) is the band equivalent to tssaa and we do have competitions like the upcoming concert festival held these are all close but i think that a tssaa concert band would maybe be pushing it. i think tssaa marching would b fine cause no matter what anyone says it is a competitive team event that i think would classify as a sport and therefore deserves state mandated competition i dunno... but i think that it its something that we need casue all the individual competitions dont let us see how we stack up agains other bands that arent at the same competition... ok well this is a really long and i applaud you for getting through it!

Well, it would be a little hard for band to be entered into TSSAA, because I think they wouldnt understand how to judge us. They can't say "Well, we think you're the best in this class, and you in this one." It just doesn't work that way in TSSAA. I agree with herefortheband, MTSBOA is exactly the same thing.

Anyway, I don't think the other sports would like us treading on their championship soil if you know what I mean. We can stick with MTSBOA.

Edited by jock_to_jazz

and plus we have stuff like national organizations like BOA (bands of america) that are crazy competitive and althought there arent many band in BOA it slightly resembles something like tssaa and we have things like midstate and all state and college hosted clinics (ex. TTU symposium and MTSU wind band) taht serve the purpose for concert band

Band isn't a sport. It is difficult, but so is a spelling bee.

There is no head to head competition, like in bakserball, baseball, or football. Even in hunting and NASCAR you have an opponent who's goal is to not only win, but do things to keep our from performing @ your top level. You can't do that in band. There is no stealing of reeds, blocking drumsticks, or tackling tubas...

Band isn't a sport. It is difficult, but so is a spelling bee.

There is no head to head competition, like in bakserball, baseball, or football. Even in hunting and NASCAR you have an opponent who's goal is to not only win, but do things to keep our from performing @ your top level. You can't do that in band. There is no stealing of reeds, blocking drumsticks, or tackling tubas...

Then again, look at the other things that are considered sports, and they are judged and placed,..without head to head competition. You've got long-jump, javelin, gymnastics, and all these other things in our Olympics. They don't put glue in the powder for gymnasts, or anything like that either. And yet, they are judged. They are placed. They are told "You're second, and you're first.."

But I guess I can kick myself in the butt, because what I just said has nothing to do with TSSAA. ;)

Edited by jock_to_jazz

• 3 weeks later...