Oliver Springs or Unaka

BBALLTN

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moving right along! Unaka should have great difficulty leaving the Bobcat Den with a win. OS is projected to be in Murfreesboro, and unless Unaka is loaded for bear, they won't go home with a win. Great guards and strong physical posts suit up for the Lady Cats, and they have grown a lot since November. The new coach has done a good job of getting the team to work together and they somehow manage to leave their egos at the door. This is a great defensive team that makes their opponents earn every point they get. Unaka will be luck to stay within 10 points of them. The phenom continues to impress! ;) Good luck girls, represent 2-A well.

<_< Kaz B)

I don't count chickens, Maam! ;) You said it yourself "The Lady Rangers have gotten this far somehow........ meaning you sound like they have exceeded expectations of themselves to this point. OS on the other hand, is clearly on a mission. They have battled two teams that represented East Tennessee in the State last year (Oneida and Coalfield), and they have proven on most given nights they are the top dog. Greenback gave it a respectable shot, but didn't have enough bullets. They will probably give Cloudland all they can handle. Unaka has to play flawlessly to get the win and thats going to be hard to do against full and half court pressure! Good luck, you will need some more.

:( Kaz :thumb:

Unaka is, of course, the underdog, and it isn't the first time. Oliver Springs 25 and 8 record, and their one-and-one Substate encounters with the Lady Cyclones of Elizabethton the past two seasons verifies their tradition.

However, if Unaka doesn't produce a post game, it might get ugly, early.

But Unaka is a well-coach, reasonably talented team. They will have problems with the Lady Cats pressure, only to the extent that they allow it. They've faced down the press on several occasions, to the demise of some quality opponents.

Unaka has two well-tested, very capable guards - Megan Johnson and Salley Taylor - and they too, have the ability to play Tremendous Defense. But they'll have to really bring it to compete with the Awesome power of the Lady Cats.

Meanwhile, the Lady Rangers have embarrassed themselves with poor play on several occasions, including the Regional Final against Hampton.

Oliver Springs is a Great Team, no doubt; but they will not be the Only great team the Lady Rangers have faced this season.

Bottom Line: Unaka will be the primary determinant as to how this game goes.

Lady Bobcats are on a mission, and Unaka better come ready because the OS gym has got to be one of the hardest places to win, it will be packed to the roof and then some and the Student Section Im sure will be in full force. GO LADY BOBCATS... :thumb: (And I dont count Chickens either just WINS)

Lets be realistic for one second. OS most likely would be playing in the AA sectional this year if still in AA. Beating three very good teams in Coalfield, Oneida, & Greenback to have prepared them for a deep run geared toward making some noise in Murfreesboro.

While Unaka's win over Cloudland was impressive, Cloudlands won loss record as a reflection of playing in upper East Tennessee. In addition to playing very good single A teams like Coalfield ( 3 times), Oneida ( 3 times), and Greenback ( twice), Oliver Springs has played some of the better teams ( AAA, AA, A) in Tennessee in Knox Webb, Oak Ridge, York Institute ( twice), Clarkrange, White County, & Franklin Country. Additionally, throw other god programs like Anderson Country ( twice) & Jefferson County ( twice).

My point is, playing at home and with the caliber of schedule & tradition of the OS Lady Cat program and various intangibles, Unaka is walking into a one of the toughest enviorements in high school basketball.

OS 64 Unaka 40

Edited by OS91

Well, for what it's worth, Unaka did not beat Cloudland. Unaka split with Hampton, the Regional Champs, who defeated Cloudland in the Regional Semi-Finals.

The Rangers won at Unaka, lost at Hampton; and then Unaka defeated Hampton in the District Semi-Finals and of course, lost the Regional Title Game to Hampton at LMU.

And you're right about the tough schedule. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the only team in our Conference to play a team from your Region is Hampton. And you may or might not find this noteworthy, but, the Lady Bulldogs defeated the Lady Cherokees . . . .by Twenty-Five Points.

Tomorrow night's final could very-well be the 24-point differential you've suggested, OS91, but things like "tougher schedules," even when correctly posted, are often NOT what they're built up to be.

. . . .and a correction: Unaka actually played Cosby, and lost by four, at Cosby. Unaka hosted Cosby on the last night of the regular season. Unaka won that game, 52 - 22.

Edited by krichunaka

Really would be surprised if the atmosphere would hurt Unaka. They also play in a gym that is usually packed and has plenty of noise. Sure they might not have the majority of people yelling for them but noise is noise. The thing that will seperate OS from Unaka is talent and experience. District 1 and 2 are not overly loaded with good teams, especially District 2 as evident from District 1's number 4 team beating District 2's number 1 team by double digits. Unaka did not beat Cloudland as was earlier posted. They did beat Hampton once in the regular season and in the District tournament. Not to put Unaka down but this is not one of the better teams they have had. It has a chance to be much better as the youth on the team improves. Really can't see either Region 1 team advancing. Unaka has done well to get to the sub state but again they weren't really challenged until the Regional final. Hope they play well and make the game interesting but just can't see them beating OS. As many times it has been posted, strange things happen, but don't think the odd makers would be much in favor of a Unaka win.

Edited by screenandroll

Lets be realistic for one second. OS most likely would be playing in the AA sectional this year if still in AA. Beating three very good teams in Coalfield, Oneida, & Greenback to have prepared them for a deep run geared toward making some noise in Murfreesboro.

While Unaka's win over Cloudland was impressive, Cloudlands won loss record as a reflection of playing in upper East Tennessee. In addition to playing very good single A teams like Coalfield ( 3 times), Oneida ( 3 times), and Greenback ( twice), Oliver Springs has played some of the better teams ( AAA, AA, A) in Tennessee in Knox Webb, Oak Ridge, York Institute ( twice), Clarkrange, White County, & Franklin Country. Additionally, throw other god programs like Anderson Country ( twice) & Jefferson County ( twice).

My point is, playing at home and with the caliber of schedule & tradition of the OS Lady Cat program and various intangibles, Unaka is walking into a one of the toughest enviorements in high school basketball.

OS 64 Unaka 40

No doubt Oliver Springs is the favorite, but some of your information and assumptions are incorrect. Unaka did not beat Cloudland this season, losing three times. Cloudland was put out by Hampton. Hampton beat Greenback this season 52-27. Unaka split four games with Hampton this year. As to your reference to Cloudland's inflated record for playing in East Tennessee, I take offense. Based on Oliver Springs last two substate battles with Elizabethton, you should know East Tennessee teams can play. Cloudland had a win over Elizabethton and a very good AAA Tennessee High team this year. Greenback better take their "A" game to Hampton, and though Oliver Springs should beat Unaka, I wouldn't take the Lady Rangers lightly.

Just a couple points.

First Unaka did not beat Cloudland this year; it was Hampton that beat Cloudland in the regional semis. Unaka beat Hampton in the district semis. Cloudland beat both Unaka and Hampton three times each prior to Hamptons regional semifinal win over them.

Second, Oliver Springs is beatable. They do have alot of tradition and great fan support. But they have a new coach and alot of new faces this year. Unaka must come out aggressive and confident and stay in the game early. If they can do that, and withstand the initial onslaught by OS, they can play with OS. And in tournament play anything can happen in a close game.

Third, "not so fast" OS about your statement about being in the sectional if you were still in AA. Austin East would be a given for one spot. I would be hesitant to pick against Seymour for the other as well as they have been playing. Now OS might be there, or they might not.

Fourth, you OS people are making a mistake by given the Unaka teams such good material to fire them up. They have a veteran coach. Do not underestimate the Rangers.

Good luck Unaka! Do not be intimidated by the man behind the curtain at OZ.