Classifications are overrated!

topdoggnbball

While attending the Goodpasture versus Mitchell game, I was sitting next to a fan that was very upset because Mitchell was holding the ball, (smart coaching By Mitchell) he stated and I quote: Mitchell is scared, we are a small school this is our first year in AA we were A last year, if they are so good why are they holding the ball? (not so smart coaching by Goodpasture). This raises a good question. Are classifications overrated?

Over the last four years AA is the stronger class by far. I could use the same excuse as stated above for Humboldt or Grace Baptist, Humboldt was in the same district with Bolivar and Liberty last year, which happens to be a very strong district. Humboldt beat Liberty in the district tournament last year, but they dropped to A this year and for the exception of two players it was the same team, which happens to be very talented. Grace Baptist played a better game. Liberty defeated Raleigh Egypt, Woodale and Fairley all AAA schools. Fairley also defeated Mitchell (go figure). Union City A defeated a very good Haywood team AA. Any strong AA team could be AAA state champions. Bottom line is this(Goodpasture fan) stop crying and play basketball. :thumb:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While attending the Goodpasture versus Mitchell game, I was sitting next to a fan that was very upset because Mitchell was holding the ball, (smart coaching By Mitchell) he stated and I quote: Mitchell is scared, we are a small school this is our first year in AA we were A last year, if they are so good why are they holding the ball? (not so smart coaching by Goodpasture). This raises a good question. Are classifications overrated?

Over the last four years AA is the stronger class by far. I could use the same excuse as stated above for Humboldt or Grace Baptist, Humboldt was in the same district with Bolivar and Liberty last year, which happens to be a very strong district. Humboldt beat Liberty in the district tournament last year, but they dropped to A this year and for the exception of two players it was the same team, which happens to be very talented. Grace Baptist played a better game. Liberty defeated Raleigh Egypt, Woodale and Fairley all AAA schools. Fairley also defeated Mitchell (go figure). Union City A defeated a very good Haywood team AA. Any strong AA team could be AAA state champions. Bottom line is this(Goodpasture fan) stop crying and play basketball. :thumb:

I've always been a fan of the idea of doing away with the class system but I doubt it will ever happen.

I'm sorry but i don't think that Liberty could have beaten Hamilton. Mitchell lost to Hamilton twice in the regular season. Hamilton can handle pressure better than Mitchell. They played smarter over the duration of the week. It is true that AA is very strong but I would not go so far as to say that the classifications are overrated. As a whole across the state, AAA is probably the strongest. AA is very very close though.

I disagree...

I'm sorry but i don't think that Liberty could have beaten Hamilton. Mitchell lost to Hamilton twice in the regular season. Hamilton can handle pressure better than Mitchell. They played smarter over the duration of the week. It is true that AA is very strong but I would not go so far as to say that the classifications are overrated. As a whole across the state, AAA is probably the strongest. AA is very very close though.

are you kidding... Haywood, Liberty, Bolivar, and Mitchell overall are better than Raleigh Egypt, Siegel, Hamilton, and Shelbyville.

I do agree that Hamilton is the best team overall... But the top 4 for AA are better than those in AAA

Edited by MidTenSports88

are you kidding... Haywood, Liberty, Bolivar, and Mitchell overall are better than Raleigh Egypt, Siegel, Hamilton, and Shelbyville.

I do agree that Hamilton is the best team overall... But the top 4 for AA are better than those in AAA

If Hamilton could hit free throws and the referee's would have stopped trying to give the game to Shelbyville, the game would have been over in regulation. Hamilton the winner.

Is the classification system overrated? No, it’s actually broken.

In a small school (A) when there is a try out for a sports team the coach typically does not have the luxury to cut and sometimes even has to resort to talking kids into playing. In the larger schools you at least have the choice of some selection and depth. You are also dependent on several kids having to multi-sport so if you are fortunate to make it to post season play then that spring sport about to start up is going to suffer. I know the seasons overlap for everyone but I’m not talking about the spring sport not fielding it’s best team I’m talking about it fielding a team at all.

The part that is broke. At one time the system was out of balance because of the private school going out to recruit. To fix that problem Division II was created. This was a good fix but it wasn’t left alone. The new multiplier and changing the numbers is absurd. It’s like imposing a penalty because you are a small private school. Head count is head count. Draw a line in the sand and the math will be easy.

The small private schools that do not recruit rely heavily on booster money and sometimes church money which is not an endless abundant resource. I see new magnet schools being built every year with facilities that would humble most private (D1) schools.

This is not a slam on those public schools that moved down in classification due to the numbers changing, which was not their choice. This is a direct criticism of how the T$$AA needs to reevaluate the current system and make it right.