Why is the West so dominant?

Why is the west so dominant? Year in and year out, with the exception of Bolivar the last few years, different teams come from the West and usually win it all. It seems every year, the same teams from the East get in and fall short. Is it their style of play or do the west teams have just better athletes and coaching? This post isn't meant to slam anyone, just a discussion topic. ;)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is the west so dominant? Year in and year out, with the exception of Bolivar the last few years, different teams come from the West and usually win it all. It seems every year, the same teams from the East get in and fall short. Is it their style of play or do the west teams have just better athletes and coaching? This post isn't meant to slam anyone, just a discussion topic. ;)

This is my favorite topic to discuss as a matter of fact a friend of mine and I talked about this the other day. I can only comment on three cities I am familiar with(chattanooga, Murfreesboro, Memphis)look at Murfreesboro. where do the kids really have to go and play basketball on a regular basis no wher. look at Memphis there seems to be a court on every corner and there are always kids outside playing on them. IF you look at inner city kids which there are a lot in Memphis a lot of time they look at sports as a way out of the troubles they face everyday and I guess in Memphis that way out is basketball so kids play and really get into. In chattanooga the problem is Numbers. there are too many schools in chattanooga so the talented athletes are all spread out away from each other instead of being at the same schools. Look at the 80's and 90's when chattanooga was second to Memphis in basketball there were less schools. That's just my take on it. Also it makes a difference when you have a city the size of Memphis there's going to be more talent where there's more people

This is my favorite topic to discuss as a matter of fact a friend of mine and I talked about this the other day. I can only comment on three cities I am familiar with(chattanooga, Murfreesboro, Memphis)look at Murfreesboro. where do the kids really have to go and play basketball on a regular basis no wher. look at Memphis there seems to be a court on every corner and there are always kids outside playing on them. IF you look at inner city kids which there are a lot in Memphis a lot of time they look at sports as a way out of the troubles they face everyday and I guess in Memphis that way out is basketball so kids play and really get into. In chattanooga the problem is Numbers. there are too many schools in chattanooga so the talented athletes are all spread out away from each other instead of being at the same schools. Look at the 80's and 90's when chattanooga was second to Memphis in basketball there were less schools. That's just my take on it. Also it makes a difference when you have a city the size of Memphis there's going to be more talent where there's more people

If you look at it though, there are many teams outside of Memphis winning championships. You take Bolivar the past two years, Liberty this year that won championships. Union City and Middleton won championships the past two years also. In west TN there are not many AAA schools anymore so thats why if anyone from the west has a chance at those its a Memphis school. I think West TN is so dominant because kids here love basketball. We have rich basketball traditions at schools like Haywood, Bolivar and others. The small kids grow up looking to the high school players as their idols. They dream of the day they put those uniforms on. Also you have strong middle school and junior high programs in places such as Bolivar and Haywood and other places. Kids also want to be a part of those teams because they are winners. The west is dominant in Basketball because of tradition in alot of these towns and communities.

Guest dare_2_dream

i really didnt see any dominance this year...i know they won all three titles but it wasnt domination...

i think middle tennessee proved they can hang with west tennessee this year, especially in AAA.

I think because the ground is flater in the west.......you just can't play ball in the hills...LOL....the ball keep rollin' down hill and you gotta go get it....too much trouble. The cows in middle and east Tenn's. legs are shorter on one side than the other. Yeeeaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!! Yep yep yep yep yep Yeeeaaahhhhhhh!!!!!

#1 Liberty fan.

Guest dare_2_dream

your statements contradict each other..."i know they won all three titles" is one view..."but it wasnt domination"...is another. If you win all three...that sounds like dominance.

they might have won all three but they didnt run away with them. shelbyville gave hamilton more than they could have ever wanted in AAA.

Why is the west so dominant? Year in and year out, with the exception of Bolivar the last few years, different teams come from the West and usually win it all. It seems every year, the same teams from the East get in and fall short. Is it their style of play or do the west teams have just better athletes and coaching? This post isn't meant to slam anyone, just a discussion topic. :o

Wanna Know? Come to Guy B.Amis, Muse, T.R. White or Denmark on Sundays and find out.