WHAT CAN EAST TN. DO TO "CATCH UP" TO THE WEST?

jmpshtr101

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More kids play BB year round as you go toward west Tennessee. Indeed, Memphis is the head of AAU in Tennessee and also heavily involved at the national level. All the AAU teams in the memphis area are sponsored by church leagues. As you go toward east tennessee, less and less sponsors so kids are "on their own" to pay expenses, etc. So, most just don't play in the off season.

Also, I believe the referees allow more physical play and do not call nit-picky fouls as you go toward the west. When you start the tournament play, the east tennessee teams are at a disadvantage because they are not accustom to the physical play caused by the refs in their districts being too nit picky.

finally, the talent is obviously greatest around the Memphis area. This is because there is more people there.

I still don't get where you all come up with "there's more to choose from" in the west. Look at Bolivar...as small of a town as any in the east AND there are 2 small high schools in a small county. Middleton is also in that county and they're an even smaller but very successful basketball school. Take Union City a school that has gone from a large AA school to an A school in a very short time that has a much larger local high school (Obion Co AAA) and also a smaller (South Fulton A) school to contend with, and Union City is as much a successful football school as it is a basketball school. Ok, so if you want to say that Jackson (Liberty , North Side) has more to choose from, then what is Chattanooga's or Knoxville's excuse then? They both have much larger populations than Jackson and Jackson has 8 high schools (which is alot considering the population), so that "waters down" the talent pool even more.

I guess you can think what you want if it makes you feel better about the West's domination but these are some facts you are going to have to face. 1. The west has as many great basketball schools that are as rural, if not more so, than any school that is not great at basketball in the east.

First of all, you need to calm down, all I did was give my oppinion on what I thought, if you don't like it, thats fine...secondly, I said the west and middle have more talent because, historically, they do, so how am I thinking what I want to make me feel better??? Its a well known fact that the west has always had more talent then the east when it comes to basketball...if you don't recognize this fact, then you're an idiot, and you should quit posting...and to address point 1, how many rural schools won a state championship this year??? None...and to address your statement about Knox and Chatt...when you have more talent and more high schools, what do you think is going to happen??? That talent gets spread out...when you have more talent and less high schools what is going to happen??? Success...its all just common sense my friend...you should try using it...

Edited by BluNWhiteH8Tribe

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, you need to calm down, all I did was give my oppinion on what I thought, if you don't like it, thats fine...secondly, I said the west and middle have more talent because, historically, they do, so how am I thinking what I want to make me feel better??? Its a well known fact that the west has always had more talent then the east when it comes to basketball...if you don't recognize this fact, then you're an idiot, and you should quit posting...and to address point 1, how many rural schools won a state championship this year??? None...and to address your statement about Knox and Chatt...when you have more talent and more high schools, what do you think is going to happen??? That talent gets spread out...when you have more talent and less high schools what is going to happen??? Success...its all just common sense my friend...you should try using it...

If Union City isn't rural,I don't know what rural is...... :thumb: