NFL bans celebrations

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

I think me and fromthetop2 are just about on the same page on the subject! Myself, I dont like any scripted celebration, I love seeing celebrations out of sheer emotion without showing up the other team!

Emotions can take over and when they do, celebrate and do it with class! ;)

Think about some of the greats that played the game (in our generation since you say it aint the 40's anymore) and how many did you ever see do cpr on the ball, riverdance, wipe the ball like a baby, pretend like they were talking on a cellphone?

John Elway

Dan Marino

Joe Montana

Emmitt Smith

Troy Aikman

Jerry Rice

Steve Young

Barry Sanders

Cris Carter

Jerome Bettis

Peyton Manning

Marvin Harrison

Curtis Martin

Jim Kelly

Phil Simms

Thurman Thomas

Andre Reed

Reggie White

Art Monk

Brett Favre

These are just few of very many men that have played the game with class and dignity and no one would even consider theses guys thugs because they played with class and eveyone respects theses men! Yes you may have seen theses men celebrate, but it was out of emotion! I dont think that the NFL wants to take on the thug look like the NBA has for the past few years so they are controling what goes on so they arent looked upon like that!

And I think baseball does a good job with the perspective that the people look at it! I mean could you imagine Cal Ripken Jr riverdancing across homeplate after a HR? :)

The NFL is heading in the right direction and I hope the next commish keeps it going!!! :)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, I appreciate the respect from Solomon and others.

Now Gerald, to your points-

I like the forward pass, but think the three point shot has inalterably made basketball less focused on tough 15 ft jump shots and more focused on bombing (with less accuracy) from the outside. Better players today but playing a worse game.

I would've loved seeing an Army-Notre Dame Game from the 40's. Would'v loved seeing Joe DiMaggio as well, or some great Cardinal squads.

I don't like the cover 2 defense because most QB's can't find the open receiver, nor do they know where to attack the cover 2. It makes my teams look bad.

I wish we'd see more drop kicks, free kicks, or straight- on kickers. A lost art kept alive only by those involved in the Shoe Carnival kicking contest at the Titan's games. Loved the kid from Florida who did it the last couple of years.

I don't really care for soccer, so what they do doesn't bother me a bit. And it doesn't take a college graduate to know why they don't Lambeau Leap into the stands.

Which goes to my reasons why the Lambeau leap IS a potential risk.

Fans get excited just by being close to a pro player, let alone a player who seems to have picked out ME to be his Celebration Pal. Add some beer and there is a potential for them wanting him to stay and hang around longer and not to let him get back. Since you picked me out of the whole stadium, we have a bond, see?

Or, you could easily have someone try to rip off a "souvenir" and provoke something ugly.

Not to mention having somebone who is NOT happy about him showing off, or jumping into their laps, or knocks over his little kid, or spilled his beer, or roots for the other team- and wants to stop him from doing something in the future. Punches get thrown and a melee breaks out.

I've seen more than a few leaps where the fans weren't real ready to let the player go, and the player struggled to get away. A hero can turn into a frightened and outnumbered person very quick. Also, other team members could get involved. You've seen that in the MLB and NBA. Not a pretty sight.

The soccer dude doesn't jump into the stands because these scenarios are VERY real in far too many venues in South America.

I have been in crowd situations at sporting events when things got close to the point of a riot. It is a scary feeling. The mob mentality is not easily controlled.

( I think it was watching a game between Norm Van Broklin against Otto Graham in the AAFL) :)

We will agree to disagree on this subject.

Edited by fromthetop2

This just hit me.

Exactly how watered down in the play in the NFL when we are sitting here debating whether or not there should be celebrations allowed or not due to entertainment? If the play was actually exciting to watch, coaches actually took a chance occasionally, and the league allowed an actual hit, would we really care about the celebrations? Are we that brainwashed that we will watch this bad of a product?

Guest dare_2_dream

Out of emotion and not showing up the opposition!!!! :huh:

We have been over this 100 times, have you not been paying attention??? :o

well i would start reading one of your novels you all have been writing and would get bored with it. :huh:

well if you get scored on, you have already been showed up ... so whats a little dance going to hurt?

well i would start reading one of your novels you all have been writing and would get bored with it.

Ah, the mysteries of ADD.

Here is the Ciff Notes version.

Football players celebrate. Some players celebrate a lot. Some players celebrate a lot and use toys. The NFL doesn't like the players celebrating alot and using toys.

Some of us think that is being mean and no fun. More people think that it is childish.

Simple enough for you? That should spare you all of the tedious reasonings we have labored to render. Keeping it simple less you clutter your mind.

Ah, the mysteries of ADD.

Here is the Ciff Notes version.

Football players celebrate. Some players celebrate a lot. Some players celebrate a lot and use toys. The NFL doesn't like the players celebrating alot and using toys.

Some of us think that is being mean and no fun. More people think that it is childish.

Simple enough for you? That should spare you all of the tedious reasonings we have labored to render. Keeping it simple less you clutter your mind.

:) :justwrestle:

That is great!!!! :lol: