NFL bans celebrations

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

Ok, so in reading these threads, I get a real sense that there is a segment that doesn't want ANY bans on anything, anything goes- right?

Where are you drawing a line or do you draw no line?

We will not then worry about taste, we will not worry about props, we will not worry time limit or number of people involved. . . just do what ever you want, script it out, no holds barred. Make me laugh, disgust me, doesn't matter. Go ahead push the envelope. Express yourself. Simulated sex with a cheerleader. Express your political views: simulated burning of a KKK cross; rip your shoulder pads off and throw it into the crowd-it's all the same and up to the creative juices of the performer, right?

There is a league that does it already. It's athletes are cartoon caricatures, and the legitamacy of what they do has disappeared. It's all about the individual performers and nothing else. Ratings have tumbled as we get numb to the stunts.

It's the WWE.

lol, did u just compare the NFL to the WWE? :rolleyes: I hope you know the WWE is scripted. It is a sports league, it is an entertainment business. I am sorry but that is a very poor analogy. I think we all know that if any of those above metioned acts were done by a player, ther player would be fined by his team ,probably suspended and get in trouble with the league. It is a clause called conduct detrimental to the team, and that is in most player's contracts.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The inference was that the antics were scripted, outlandish, and over the top.

Sorry you didn't catch the obvious subtlety.

But let me take your point to expound; so you DO agree that there is a line to be drawn in scripted antics! Not EVERYTHING is OK? Your position is now taking on water with this admission.

You fall on the logic of "conduct detrimental to the team," which then puts the interpretation into the hands of the individual teams, or what specific acts they spelled out in their contract.

So the team (i.e the NFL) has the authority, both morally and legally. They set the standards-they set the decorum. A line is set- you can't under the franchise agreement and the player agreements have each team set their own rules of play. Endzone "celebrations" fall under their domain and they can decide what is acceptable.

I think if you tried to suspend a player for that clause, because of what he did as an endzone dance, the NFLPA would be all over it- and would win.

The bottom line is: It's their product-not mine or yours. They have the right and the responsibility to decide where the line is drawn- less YOU (or the sponsors and networks) get offended someday by someone going too far and not wanting to support their product in the future.

Edited by fromthetop2

But let me take your point to expound; so you DO agree that there is a line to be drawn in scripted antics! Not EVERYTHING is OK? Your position is now taking on water with this admission.

You fall on the logic of "conduct detrimental to the team," which then puts the interpretation into the hands of the individual teams, or what specific acts they spelled out in their contract.

So the team (i.e the NFL) has the authority, both morally and legally. They set the standards-they set the decorum. A line is set- you can't under the franchise agreement and the player agreements have each team set their own rules of play. Endzone "celebrations" fall under their domain and they can decide what is acceptable.

I think if you tried to suspend a player for that clause, because of what he did as an endzone dance, the NFLPA would be all over it- and would win.

Yes, you have to draw a line but that line is celebrations that you described and only one player has even gotten close to crossing it. That player was Randy Moss when he acted like he was mooning the Green Bay crowd. That is a close to a lude celebration the NFL has had. That line would never be crossed by player because they know what would happen to them. So theoretically, you wouldn't even have to have a line because the players know what they can and can not do.

Now you say a player couldn't ever get suspended for a lude celebration. I guess Randy Moss getting fined $10,000 for his stunt doesn't mean anything. If the NFL fined him that much money for that celebration anything beyond what he did would be heavily fined and possibly suspended, so it isn't out of the realm of possibility.

9552.jpg

$10,000 dollars for this. Suspension could happen.

The Lambeau Leap is scripted, you know it is going to happen. Are you saying there is something wrong with that? If you say no, then why can't others have scripted celebrations? There is one thing the NFL needs to be and that is consistent.

Edited by Gerry Bertier

As you point out, he got fined - not suspended.

Yeah he did. $10,000 is alot of money for what he did. If he would have performed any of those celebrations you mentioned earlier which all are way out in left field then more than likely he would be suspended.

Seems to me you are trying to come up with the most extreme circumstances to go against celebrations. I don't think any player would do something involving a sexual act or the KKK. One because they dont want to face punishment by the league and second the players on the field would make sure he paid for what he did. The players have an accountability system on the field, and if you do something the majority of players know is wrong then you will pay.

BTW, you didnt answer my Lambeau Leap question.

My point to being extreme in the examples is that, without boundries, there is no such thing as too extreme, too outlandish, or too much. Think about it-we've gone from just spiking the football, to really spiking (or pretending) to spike it, too group celebrations with simulated hand grenades going off (now banned), to actual cell phones being used (now banned), to Sharpies (now banned). and on and on. If they hadn't banned throat slashing, group celebrations, and other props-where would it end?

Don't like the Lambeau Leap. First couple of times it was fine, now it is played out. Players often can't make the leap, and they are really putting their safety and fans at risk by doing it. You don't see baseball players going into the stands to celebrate, or basketball players (to CELEBRATE), or hockey players, or soccer players. or tennis players, or golfers running through the galleries. Why?? Because it is a stupid risk.

My point to being extreme in the examples is that, without boundries, there is no such thing as too extreme, too outlandish, or too much. Think about it-we've gone from just spiking the football, to really spiking (or pretending) to spike it, too group celebrations with simulated hand grenades going off (now banned), to actual cell phones being used (now banned), to Sharpies (now banned). and on and on. If they hadn't banned throat slashing, group celebrations, and other props-where would it end?

Don't like the Lambeau Leap. First couple of times it was fine, now it is played out. Players often can't make the leap, and they are really putting their safety and fans at risk by doing it. You don't see baseball players going into the stands to celebrate, or basketball players (to CELEBRATE), or hockey players, or soccer players. or tennis players, or golfers running through the galleries. Why?? Because it is a stupid risk.

I am sorry that we no longer play in the 1940s. I bet you hate the foward pass, the cover 2 defense, and the lack of drop kicking in the game too. Heck you think the Lambeau Leap is bad. No one's safety is at risk by doing that.

I guess you hate when David Ortiz batflips a homerun, or when soccer players run wild on the field after scoring a goal. These sports haven't outlawed celebrations and they are doing just fine.

Edited by Gerry Bertier

I am sorry that we no longer play in the 1940s. I bet you hate the foward pass, the cover 2 defense, and the lack of drop kicking in the game too. Heck you think the Lambeau Leap is bad. No one's safety is at risk by doing that.

I guess you hate when David Ortiz batflips a homerun, or when soccer players run wild on the field after scoring a goal. These sports haven't outlawed celebrations and they are doing just fine.

Therein lies my problem with you Gerry. The guy disagrees with you, makes his point in a fine matter, and yet you ridicule him because he has a differing opinion than you do.

THis guy is probably the most well thought out poster on the board. I've seen him shut ELA up so many times that I've lost count. But he's obviously wrong and has no clue what he speaks of because he disagrees with you.

And yes, I wish everytime Ortiz threw his bat that the next time he stepped in the box he got one thrown at the earhole in his helmet. That does for any batter, Pujols inculded, who shows up the pitcher. Laissez-faire applies there as well.

The reason Randy Moss mooned the crowd in Green Bay was because it is long-standing tradition for the Green Bay fans to moon the opposing team's bus as they get to and leave the stadium. As in love with Cowherd as you are, I can't believe you've never heard that.

And playing devil's advocate, the noticeable differnece between a Brazillian going insane when he scores a goal versus a Chad Johnson celebration in the endzone is that the Brazillian is running around in sheer happiness, not a scripted celebration he had been working on since the offseason.

I am sorry I will just not argue with the older men of the board cause if you have noticed they are as closeminded as I am and they shoot down other's opinions just as quick as I do. Sorry if people can't take little jokes. Didn't know everyone had such a sensitive side. No more competitive banter, figure if Woody and Skip could do, so could you guys.