NFL bans celebrations

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

What does everyone think about the No Fun League giving the refs to penalize for on field celebrations anywhere on the field?

I personally hate it. I mean I watch football to be entertained, and celebrations are part of that entertainment. Who are the people paying to see these games? The fans. Does the NFL care about the fans? No. I am going to miss the celebrations of Chad Johnson, TO, and Steve Smith next season.

I know some of you will disagree, and will be like this sets a bad example for the youth watching the game, and that argument is bologna.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought it was illegeal to celebrate outside of hte endzone anyway.

Good move. I just get tired of a guy making a routine catch for a first down, or a guy making a routene tackle and acting like he just made a Super Bowl saving tackle. Big hits or huge stops or first down are one thing, but the celebration has gone a bit overboard.

The ban essentially does away with "props". It probably (hopefully) would have died a natural death. You can still act like it was the greatest touchdown in the history of organized football, the first touchdown of your career, or the crowining acheivement of your life.

You can call me old-fashioned, but all of these wide receivers (who are the vast majority of the "entertainers") are so ME oriented anyway that I was getting disinterested watching them trying so hard to be cute.

Entertainment is one thing; boorish selfishness is quite something else. Other levels of football discourage it even more than the NFL and I find their games quite exciting AND entertaining. So their value to me is as a rather pompous sideshow.

Get on with the game.

What does everyone think about the No Fun League giving the refs to penalize for on field celebrations anywhere on the field?

I personally hate it. I mean I watch football to be entertained, and celebrations are part of that entertainment. Who are the people paying to see these games? The fans. Does the NFL care about the fans? No. I am going to miss the celebrations of Chad Johnson, TO, and Steve Smith next season.

I know some of you will disagree, and will be like this sets a bad example for the youth watching the game, and that argument is bologna.

You ask the question wrong, because the league did not ban celebrations, you just arent aloud to use props(cell Phones, towels, football, etc) or touch the ground! You can still dance and do anything as long as you dont use props or touch the ground with anything besides your feet!

That leaves the door open for alot of celebration and I guarantee Chad Johnson will come up with something! :D

But for myself, I would rather see a TD and the player hand the ball to the ref and lets get on with it! :angry:

The ban is about guys showing off.

I am so tired of watching kids even down at the grade school level showboating and imitating what they see in the NFL or the NBA.

It is a team game. TO and Chad Johnson could at least pretend that they realize that.

Edited by Bighurt

The ban is about guys showing off.

I am so tired of watching kids even down at the grade school level showboating and imitating what they see in the NFL or the NBA.

It is a team game. TO and Chad Johnson could at least pretend that they realize that.

I knew this was coming. Chad Johnson knows it is a team game, no one on his team has never complained about that. Same with Steve Smith. TO is an exception to the rule. Let the kids have fun, it is sports, that is what it is suspose to be about at that age. So lets just take all the fun out of sports, show no emotion, if you smile or if you frown you will be given a 15 yard penalty or technicial foul. That is what the sports world is getting to.

It's the parent's job to teach their kids about how to properly act while playing and not become a selfish player, not the players on tv. Oh I forgot that is too much responsibility for parents to have.

I knew this was coming. Chad Johnson knows it is a team game, no one on his team has never complained about that. Same with Steve Smith. TO is an exception to the rule. Let the kids have fun, it is sports, that is what it is suspose to be about at that age. So lets just take all the fun out of sports, show no emotion, if you smile or if you frown you will be given a 15 yard penalty or technicial foul. That is what the sports world is getting to.

It's the parent's job to teach their kids about how to properly act while playing and not become a selfish player, not the players on tv. Oh I forgot that is too much responsibility for parents to have.

Yes, that is true. The parents and coaches are not doing their jobs.

I don't see what TO, Chad Johnson and Steve Smith do as emotion. I think what they do the end zone is designed to bring attention to themselves.

Playing sports is an emotional. However, I see kids doing the throat slash, waving their arms or thumping their chests on every play. It happens in every sport. Kids see TO, Ray Lewis, Yoakim Noah, Vince Carter or Ricky "Hot Dog" Henderson doing something and they do the same thing.

JMHO but I am an ill-tempered old codger. :lol: It has something to do with having to put up with robjim.

Edited by Bighurt

I don't call what 95% of what I see, "celebrating."

Celebrations are spontaneous, not scripted. I like celebrations. I like emotions. What I don't like is someone saying "Wait. . .Wait. . .watch this. . .isn't this (funny, cute, original). . .look at what I thought up. . .everybody see what I just did. . .how about me now."

Nah............

If they consider what they do "entertaining", well we have a very low threshold.

Curious, dubious, slighlty humerous, but not entertainment.

Guest dare_2_dream

they work hard to be able to get into the league and get a position on a team and then to score is just a reward for all their work. they should be able to celebrate as they please.