Quarles vs. Rankin?

Gerry Bertier

When Quarles took over as head coach (99) Maryville had won 1 State Title (98) in the past twenty years. Quarles has won five in his seven years at the helm so that statement is a little misleading.

when gq took over in 99 maryville had just come off of consecutive title game appearances they beat whites creek in the 98 championship and lost in the 97 championship game to pearl cohn but when rankin got to riverdale it was a program that was average at best and after a 4-6 season in his first year the wins came by the bunches as far as alcoa-maryville goes for the upcoming season i say alcoa beats the champs cuz rankin is about to ride shiverdecker the way he did guys like duke and king and the scary thing for anyone in 2a is that rankin has a receiver in lanxter thats better than anyone he ever coached at riverdale including t henry

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim Hammontree did a good job at Maryville. But! Maryville started winning big when George Quarles showed up on campus.In the middle of 1996 when Maryville was 1-4 Tim Hammontree allowed George Quarles to put in his offense. Maryville went 4-1 the rest of the way. Ever since the decision to run Quarles split back offense has been made the Rebels are 125-12 with 6 state titles.

In 1998 the coaching staff was Hammontree as head coach. Quarles was quarterback coach and David Ellis was offensive line coach. Other coaches were Mac Lambert,Shawn Quinn,Charley Frye and Pete Billingsly. Those were good coaches but the staff now is so much better. The 98 team was the most talented team ever in Maryville history.

The coaching staff now at Maryville is the best I have seen. As great as Quarles is his staff is the best around. Ellis is the best offensive line coach in the state. Jim Gaylor used to be a head coach at Clinton. Clinton has not been the same since he left. He is the linebacker coach and defensive coordinator. Mike White is running back coach,Joe Pinkerton and Larry Walker coach the defensive line,Joe Robinette coaches the receivers and Wayne Thompson coaches the secondary. Some coaching staffs have a few great coaches but the rest won't be that good. Every coach on Maryville's staff is good. No weak links on this staff.

Us long time Maryville fans can see a big difference in how the 97,98 team played and how the teams of today play. The 98 team had that huge offensive line that just smashed people. The Maryville teams under Quarles is so much better fundementally it isn't even funny. Their execution is so much better now. It is machine like now.

I am not taking anything away from Rankin at all. He is a great coach. He also had some good coaches around him at Riverdale. I just can't imagine there being a better coaching staff than what Maryville has right now. I just hope these guys stay together for many more years. I am enjoying the ride right now. I know it won't last forever. I saw in the 70s and early 80s what happened when Ted Wilson,Don Story and Lynn Brown were coaching at Maryville. I also saw Maryville slip big time when those guys left. Maryville is blessed right now to have the coaching staff that they have. Not only are those men great coaches. They are class people.

One thing I will say is that at least Riverdale started searching to play better talent. They went and played one of the better teams in Ohio last year. They never played D2 but thats another story. Alcoa is the best team Maryville plays all year until the state championship game. Rankin bulit one of the best teams in the southeast at Riverdale. For Maryville to be considered that they'll have to start playing better people.

This is such a silly argument. Both are great coaches. Both Maryville and Alcoa had rich traditions before GQ and Rankin, and with the support of the community that both teams have, both will have rich traditions after them. The real credit should go to the kids who make the committement to practice and play hard everyday. Without them GQ, Rankin or whom ever would be no better then the next coach.